2020 Stash Management - Page 5
Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you find a sunflower pattern you like. Any pattern would work in a picture frame box, as long as it's the right size.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. We had good weather for our 3 days away, if a little cool at first. Today it got into the mid 50's which is normal for January, as weird as it sounds. Our true winter will be here in about 1 month.

I'm so excited about a junk shop find I had to share it immediately. DH spotted a fancy rolling scrapbooking case for $20. It's like new, used but in great condition, no wear just dusty. It sort of looks like this:

Name:  cropbag.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  7.0 KB

I couldn't find an exact match. It's got pockets and elastic everywhere. The big front pocket zips open, like the picture. Inside are two dividers held by velcro, come out easily, with pockets on both. There's a ruler pocket in the top flap. No shoulder strap but I have no intention of ever carrying it that way. Handle and wheels work great. And it's solid. Metal or heavy plastic frame, heavy card sides, sturdy bottom you could stand a small child in it. And yes, it fits my sewing machine. I knew if I waited the right bag would come along.

FWIW, we've been feeding our cats baby food for a couple of months now. I like that it's not full of all the stuff canned cat food has it's just ground meat. The cats seem to be responding to it better, too. Much less vomiting and regurgitation. I have found in the past that geriatric kitties respond well to wet food made for kittens, too.

I am tired and glad to be in my own bed tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great find, CH! That should be perfect for your machine. I originally bought my scrapbooking bag to carry my embroidery machine, but I don't think it's on wheels. Wheels are much nicer! $20 is a steal!

I don't want to give Chester just baby food because cats need things like ground up bone in their diets. The baby food adds some flavor he seems to like, but the main thing is it liquifies his cat food. I've thought about making cat food, but I can't stand the sound of bones being ground up, and I can't buy rabbit meat here which seems to be what most people use. I agree about the puking, although we have a lot less trouble with canned food than dry food.

I got the second sunflower done and the first color done on the third. That one is just an edge of a flower, so won't take long. I also started the fourth one, which is the only other complete one. Once that's done, the rest are partial flowers so should go faster.

I need to clean up the chaos around my recliner, and that involves painting a little table with a magazine rack. I bought it last summer and it got set aside and forgotten while we worked outside. But it's front of mind now. It should not only help tame the clutter, but I can clamp my ugly but effective magnifying craft light to it, which would be a big help to me. I'm going to use the blue paint I need to use up. I should be able to get a coat of primer on it today and get it painted by the end of the week.

I know some of you have used those puzzle mats to roll up puzzles in for short term storage. Do the felt ones work well? I'm debating if I should buy some felt the size of our plastic folding table. I think putting it in a nylon slip case would work to keep pieces from falling out and getting lost. We like puzzles but hate having them in the way, plus the cats get up on things. Maybe a puzzle mat would be helpful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I vacuumed my sewing room tool bag with our handheld vac. It was very dusty, but vacuuming did a great job cleaning it up like new. I'm sure you'll get your bag looking new, too.

I'm excited for you! I know you've been looking for a bag for a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to say I got the idea to give Chester baby food from you. He says to tell you thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like people have been busy since the beginning of the new year! I took off from Christmas until today (Jan. 6th). I visited Dad for Christmas, which was nice. Then I just kicked back and didn't do much last week other than watch the DVD's I ordered in early December. I finally got them to work. They're region 2 (UK) and for some reason didn't work before I went to see my Dad. But when I got back, they did. (I watch them on my computer.) And the other strange thing was that I could watch other DVD's (including others in the same series) on the computer.

Anyway, I finished off the second wool lapgan over my vacation and sent them on to my friend. (I made two wool lapgans.) So, I'm now working on a navy blue acrylic afgan for one of the other residents at my Dad's assisted living facility. I already had this started when I put it down to focus on the wool afgans for my friends. And I had the yarn already for it. It was originally going to be part of another afgan for a different friend but I ended up getting all the black yarn I needed. So I had the blue yarn left over.

I also offered to make afgans for some friends. I picked up some yarn in denim blue acrylic for one of them. I'll wait to get the yarn for the others once I'm through with the two I'm already working on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - that’s a great bag. It should make it easier and more efficient when you take your machine along.

I know this is a wrong headed attitude for a frugal forum but I am very, very glad I indulged in that world class cross stitch stash binge in November and December because the good times are over. My doctor gave me two new meds to try and I’m grateful that one was a disaster, because the other is in eye-watering, bank-breaking territory. It doesn’t say but apparently it’s main ingredient is gold extracted from sea water by red headed virgins under a full moon. She has wanted to add it for a while and I have resisted. Not even at my most irresponsible would I be able to justify stash building now, but since it’s already done ..... Thank goodness I found the cheap source for floss. Facebook is good for something after all.

Yesterday I did work a lot on the spring sampler. I got “Hopping Bunnies” stitched, finished the yellow and green check at the bottom, and most of the little flowers. I have a few of those left, the sitting bunny on the far right, and about half of the hopping one. I should be able to finish the bottom band today. Then it will very fast through the middle until I get up to “Spring.” Date o hope I could finish this one this week? It should be possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is rough about the medicine. Have you asked your doctor if there are any more affordable alternatives? It might be worth seeking a second option.

The stash building does make some certain sense. I think many of us may have it in the back of our minds the possibility of finances taking a turn for the worse despite our best efforts. Even if it is not conscious, there is that desire to stockpile when we have the resources just in case.

I finished my chameleon that I have been working on off and on. Mostly off to be honest.

2020 Stash Management-img_20200106_103442301_1578325449701.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you're going to be busy, Ren. The denim blue sounds like a good color. I hope you had a nice visit with Dad.

D, take a peek at www.globaldrugsdirect.com. You might be able to save significant money. Where you buy the drug can make a difference too, so check different local pharmacies. I've done the same as you, built up the stash just in case. Not sorry, either. That was part of the reason I bought the new serger, and why we were hell bent on replacing so much of our furniture a few yrs ago with good quality vintage pieces. We picked up a lot of cheap craft supplies as we found them, too.

Your chameleon turned out cute, Kathy. He will be a fine addition to your collection.

I sucked it up and managed to ward off procrastination and got the little table cleaned and primed, so the worst is over. Two coats of blue and it will be ready to use, so I can then procrastinate about tidying up around my chair.
    2020 Stash Management-20200106_102229_1578329212043.jpg

There was only a little primer left so I slapped that on most of one bathroom wall. Maybe that will jumpstart getting that project back in the queue. At the least, the primer is put to good use instead of drying ip in the can and being wasted.

Now back to my regularly scheduled flower stitching and thinking about North Dakota. Still want to try to get that done this week and move on to the sewing room cross stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My first goal is to get my sewing table cleared off. I cant work with so much clutter.

2nd goal is to get dh's uniforms ready. His arms are big and don't fit the required shirts, so I have to add some fabric to the sleeve. I need to get those done before I do anything else. I know that I have at least two shirts prepped for adding the extra fabric. I just need to take an old shirt and cut the sleeves. They are already hemmed and perfect for the extra needed. They don't always look the best, sewing-wise, but they work. I just know it's cheaper than taking them somewhere to be done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Emily, you can do a lot of fun things with strips. It's easy to cut them into squares, rectangles and triangles that all fit together to make other designs. Or you can just sew the strips side by side. This one is strips sewn together and cut into blocks: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Vy-iPDVGV.../watermark.JPG

This one is the same, but cut into triangle blocks http://quiltingdigest.com/wp-content...sm-quilt-2.jpg

The background on this wolf is all done from strips https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b0/bd/2f/b...bf62efa2ae.jpg

And I love the native american design accomplished here by using strips: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ec/8d/0b/e...fb85a5d7a7.jpg

So many choices! Sometimes just getting started is the hardest part.

DC, the price of medicine these days is truly shocking. I'm sorry that it's come to that for you. I could say more but don't want to turn this into a political discussion. Your spring sampler is very sweet. I hope it brightens your cottage this winter.

Renmerc, good job finishing another lapghan.

Kathy, your chameleon is so cute! The buttons for joints are the perfect touch.

That's a nice little table, SD, I can see it will be very useful. An your sunflower stitching is coming along nicely. What a fun project.

Jetts, hope your sewing and mending goes quickly. Great that you can do those jobs and save money.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, folks. I wanted to get the lapgan done while I was on vacation, despite not being able to work on it while traveling. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to bring my crochet hook on the plane, to begin with. The plane ended up being very small with next to no room for carry-ons larger than a laptop (which I also didn't want to lug around). I still have one skein of wool and a partial one left over. Not sure what I'll do with them at the moment. I'll probably do some scarves during downtime at my larp.

I picked up the navy afgan again on Friday afternoon and I was nearly done with an almost complete skein by Sunday. I'm not sure how many skeins were already done on it since it's been a while since I worked on it. But this skein is the first of nine (1o9) skeins I have left to do on it. I'm pretty sure that's all I need at this moment. If not, I'll wait until I'm nearly complete before deciding if I need more.

I started the denim afgan, simply to have it already started when I'm done with the navy one. But the yarn is one of those pound sized skeins. I just hope that I have enough (I picked up four). If not, I might order/get one more later. This is the first time I've used this yarn but it was the only one that matched what I had in mind for this friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had a fun, if not terribly exciting, weekend out with friends. Had some good food, explored some new coffee shops, talked a lot. Spent time in antique malls. I already told you about the scrapbooking case:

2020 Stash Management-img_20200106_112216457.jpg

On the way down we stopped at a quilt shop. I was excited to see they had a 30% off sale on fat quarters and pre-cuts, but not so happy at the register when the squares I picked out turned out to not be part of the sale. I picked out a pack in reds and blues that will go with another pack I have, and may become something one day.

2020 Stash Management-img_20200106_112320530.jpg

Also, over the weekend I picked up a number of scraps and FQs super cheap. Some from the store, most from the antique malls. A lot of these I paid less than a dollar for.

2020 Stash Management-img_20200106_112444231.jpg

Like that big red piece on the left is ~1/3 yd and was .55! The dark bundle above it is in chunks, and was .35! You would have loved this place, SD, lots of bright fabrics and unreal pricing. I really had to hold myself back from buying more.

I also picked up a few pieces of glass for the collection, a candy dish, a creamer and a tiny bowl, maybe for toothpicks all in the opalescent pattern I like. The shops we went to all had good selections. I saw a lot of those big purple glass bowls like we were talking about last month, and so many ruffled edge candy dishes it made my head spin.

I'm really glad that I have the habit of looking first and then going back to pick up things I liked, instead of carrying them around with me. In the 2nd shop we visited I was looking around in one both, and you know how crowded those places are with stuff jammed into every corner. I stepped on something on the floor, lost my balance, teetered into a bookshelf, tried to sidestep and recover, started to fall, saw the vintage metal tricycle in front of me and thought "Oh hell no!", tucked my head and arms in and dove over it. Landed on my shoulder and face, with the $#@! tricycle tangled in my legs and on top of me. Some people came and helped me up and gave me a bottle of cold water to hold against my face, and a box of cookies to stop the shakes. I sat for a while and thought I was ok, but started to feel really tired, so I told DH I was ready to go back to the hotel, and that was when the migraine started.

Nothing worse happened after that. We got ice on my face and I'm happy to say it did not bruise. My shoulder is another matter. Arth doctor is going to have a stroke when I tell her what happened. Ribs and back ache. I was going to go grocery shopping today, but I think we'll survive another day on what we have. Going to pay some bills, pick up a little, and just take it easy today. May do some sewing later.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, hell no is right! I'm so sorry you got hurt. Scary! I hope your shoulder is healing and doesn't have any permanent damage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH so sorry. Everyone else sounds pretty busy.
    The cross-stitch books are "in transit" to my library. I have a small sunflower painting by this artist
    Johnna's Painting Blog who is a family friend. Also a small cross-stitch done by MIL long ago. So I guess there is sort of a sunflower "theme" in my home office. Nothing done by me YET. Maybe some quilt blocks for a pillow?
    Name:  Sunflower quilt block.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  12.6 KB
    My next paycheck will be the last one so definitely "make do" and "use it up" mode here for a while. Plenty of projects on hand.

Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast