2020 Stash Management - Page 53
Page 53 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103153 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH is to work from home until further notice here. He did have to go in today to get the computer up and running and being able to connect the way it should. My sewing job, the girl was an intern at the local VA here. They closed down all the interns and are sending them home, she had her graduation cancelled and the banquet postponed indefinitely. I just have one dress to finish for her and will hopefully get it finished today and tomorrow. Should be quite quick to finish off. Stores here have little in them and with littles in the house we wanted to get some milk. Virtually none here to get for them. Good thing we stocked up on as much as we could, over the last few months. We will be sitting here as much as we can. I have a large yard ( 2+ acres and a swing set/play yard. large garden spot that they have permission to dig in as much as they want etc. ) also a son home from college for spring break. They are doing online classes ( I think to the end of the semester) DD is homeschooling the littles here so still school as scheduled. They usually get library books, but those are closed now too. I have a large amount of books that I have collected over the years so hopefully we are good there. I have always tried to keep a large supply of lots of things here. ( a friend had come over for me to pin a dress for her and she was marveling how I had all this stuff organized,( well, it is sort of organized, still a lot more to do there) and I found things I needed for her, plus DD found stuff for her kids to do a craft with just what I had already and didn't need to run out to get something) After the dress job, I will be back to working on things I want to for myself or baby gifts, ( I have one pair of the little shoes almost finished, and 2 pairs partially finished) I have put my piano lessons on hold until further notice too. This, too, shall pass.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Knotme, it sounds like you're about the same as us, good supplies of stuff built up over time long before the Covid-19 mess started. I'm happy your family is able to stay at home. So important right now.

I just found out one of the people I met at DfG works at a big hospital in the Twin Cities. I don't know if she's medical personal, but she's still in danger.

Am I the only one who sometimes feels like this is a cheesy disaster movie come to life? It does not seem real. Last time I was out in the world, it was normal, except for a couple small empty shelves. No lines, nobody upset, plenty of everything like usual. That was just 2 weeks ago. It's all so surreal, and only going to get worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A Covid-19 funny, or is that an oxymoron?
    2020 Stash Management-img_20200319_092607_1584628075842.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Knotme, it sounds like you have a lot to keep you occupied for a while. It's dark and raining today so I don't know if I will get any sewing done. It's more of a plop on the couch with a book day. Have to take the cat for her shot later, so I will get a little fresh air. Swallowed my tea the wrong way this morning, now I'm coughing. Hope I don't scare anyone while I'm out.

Dollar Tree sells smaller puzzles, like 100-500 pieces. I may stop and pick up a couple for something to do. Just can't get into sewing today, and I'm more likely to make mistakes.

Yeah, it is a bit surreal. And even when I was out on Monday nobody was in a panic, though most people seemed a bit subdued. The only thing I can compare it too is the 9-11 attacks, and it seemed as if there was more panic then, but I don't recall people hoarding TP. It was more guns/ammo/gear and bug-out bags.

DH is working from home. Now that customers aren't in the way the higher-ups want to fix a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, all the contract/temp employees got let go this morning. I'm hoping things get back to normal soon.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The sun has come out, don't know how long it will last. Might do some sewing after all.

Noticed that Blueprint (formerly Craftsy) is offering a 14 day free trial (with credit card). I might look into that for the next couple weeks.

Have discovered that chocolate ice cream syrup makes a decent cafe mocha knockoff. I have some mini bottles of flavored syrup leftover from a couple christmas's ago.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I seamed 25 shields together. They still need to be trimmed and turned, but at least they're started. I have enough materials to make about 120 shields, so that will keep me busy a while.

I want to do a sweatshirt quilt and might get that started soon. I have a lot of crinoline from wedding gowns and want to try using that to stabilize. I think it would be a fast project, big 1 piece blocks, no batting, little if any quilting.

Husby moved some furniture around in the bedroom. It's not done but it's better. Our headboard is in front of double windows and I don't like it, and moving the dressers is the first step to moving the bed. Don't know when we can finish. Moving the bed is difficult and I can't really help.

Worked on a puzzle for a while. The puzzle tray is working out well. Gotta get Mom's done for her.

Just another day in paradise here. Happy spring!2020 Stash Management-20200319_135540_1584644228236.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn’t quite finish the black work SAL block - I just couldn’t get into it. I did catch up all the prior blocks though. It won’t take long at all to finish it. The designer has a regular Facebook blackwork group in addition to the SAL. Since so many have joined the SAL and there is suddenly a new interest in it, lots of other people have started offering patterns. Before there weren’t many. She apologetically announced that all of this rush was competition now so she is regretfully restricting her group to her designs. I’m enjoying the group and want to keep playing with them so I bought several of her patterns. Two are pictures - waves and bees - and three of the more usual design type patterns. They look good with variegated thread and I can start using more of that from the stash.
    They’re from Etsy and not very expensive. There was a deal to save a little by purchasing three of the designs series, and since I really like all of them, I just picked three and went with that.

I’m worried about my neighbors. Three work in hospitals. Of the two in housekeeping, the father of the two guys is I would guess in his late 40s or early 50s with diabetes and hypertension. He’s a target. One of his sons who has almost finished EMT training, the one who just started working in patient transport and needed the new pants, is apparently being used to screen visitors. He’s working lots of overtime which is probably exhausting and won’t be helping his resistance.

The Chinese restaurant where his other son works has shut down, so he’s out of a job. Yesterday they sent huge amounts of fresh broccoli, green beans, and sliced carrots home with him. It was enough to share out grocery bags of each among five households. I passed on the broccoli but have big containers of the beans and carrots. A nice windfall.

It’s definitely spring here. Most of the trees have leafed out and the pear trees and a couple of apple trees have bloomed. If they set fruit it would be their first production year. It’s windy and warm so I have the house open today. It feels great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haven't checked in here in a while. Still working on the "loaves and fishes" basket of batik strips. It never ends. Made another wall quilt top, sold it on Ebay (not much $). Have 12 foundation squares left so making 12 blocks for a table runner, again to sell on Ebay. So far, that is the original wall quilt I made for my friend, 3 wall/lap quilts, and now the 12 block runner. And there is still a ton left. Getting tired of it.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jos have you tried putting the radio/music on while you sew? I admit getting a little tired of quilting too. Yesterday I wrapped an old bed pillow w/a layer of quilt batt and sewed a new cover for it - extra/guest pillow. My wood chips were delivered, rather heavy labor to move & spread them so pacing myself. Really muddy in back and badly needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs to everyone and their families and friends.

I got the borders sewn on my little quilt, before taking the cat out. Going to mitre the corners so it looks nice. Not much, but it is moving a little.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I guess the polar bear is on hold. Someone in the HAED group suggested a quarantine challenge to see how much we can get done while quarantined of necessity or by choice. I’ve joined in and said I would stick to HAEDs at least through April. I’ll do some blackwork too, but that’s different. That means the dragon, black and white cat, and the sheep if the fabric ever arrives.

123 Stitch must be overwhelmed with orders. Normally given when I ordered the fabric, it should be arriving tomorrow but it hasn’t even shipped yet. Now it showing it will ship tomorrow, but yesterday it said it would ship today. I have plenty to do in the meanwhile though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WB, CH. You were missed.

Looks like we're supposed to get a wintry mix overnight again till noon tomorrow. Yea, spring!

I never cease to be amazed at the ways people are coming up with to make do in this crisis. Just saw a local sports report about a high school track coach training his track team remotely. How wonderful for those kids to have a routine and healthy activity during isolation.

I bet the sales of home exercise equipment is through the roof.

An online friend was describing all the young teen voices emanating from his son's room. He and his son are isolated, but his boy was playing a rousing video game with his friends networked so they could play together safely and share the fun on speaker phone as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would say it definitely feels unreal to me. While the number of people that have it is large, the US population in huge. So the percentage of people that have it is low, and the percentage of people who died even lower.

I do not personally know anyone that has it, let alone anyone who died.

When I look out my window, everything looks normal. Trees in bloom, birds singing, buildings all in good shape.

But this is definitely a boom time for crafting. On Reddit I also see people who have not crafted before want to start for something to do all day.

I may even finish my ember piece in the next couple weeks, something I thought would take much longer.

We have telework through April 3. After that they will reassess the situation and decide whether to extend it. An extension looks likely.

I may also get back to zentangle and coloring for variety.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Jos have you tried putting the radio/music on while you sew? I admit getting a little tired of quilting too. Yesterday I wrapped an old bed pillow w/a layer of quilt batt and sewed a new cover for it - extra/guest pillow. My wood chips were delivered, rather heavy labor to move & spread them so pacing myself. Really muddy in back and badly needed.

I do, I usually have YT on and when I am sewing, I watch/listen to music. Anything with spoken word, I miss too much while the machine is running. Spoken videos, I watch while knitting or crocheting.

I'm not really tired of sewing, just this particular batch of fabric.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

People keep talking about percentages. Even a low percentage of fatalities will translate to enormous numbers of very real people dying because we are such a large country. It's terrifying. And infinitely sad.