2020 Stash Management - Page 54
Page 54 of 180 FirstFirst ... 4445152535455565764104154 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got buns started in the bread machine. Burgers for supper tonight. Trying to use up the last of our fresh fridge veggies, so I'll probably make cauliflower in the AF and of course slice a tomato for the burgers, maybe fry some onion slices too.

I added some graham flour to the buns. It's been hanging around too long and using up these little bits of odd flours will stretch the regular flour we have. We're well stocked with flour though. I thought we had 10 lbs of bread flour, at least 10 lbs of white whole wheat, and 20 lbs of unbleached white flour, plus what's in the big flour jars and the odd bits. I haven't baked bread for a while since Husby kept buying it. ☹️ But it turns out we have 40 lbs of unbleached white in new bags. The 3 big jars of white wheat, white flour, and bread flour are all at least half full so that's about another 15 lbs. I guess our bread will be less healthy, but I'm grateful for the excess white flour just the same. It will all last a long time. Also grateful for overstocking flour of any kind, which happened last yr by accident. And thus ends my scintillating account of our flour inventory.

I froze 12 more eggs. I'll leave the last 14 to use fresh. I still have a small amount of powdered whole eggs in the camping supplies and some powdered egg whites, too, shelved in the 'what was I thinking' section of the pantry.

I started mung beans and radish sprouts, since we're not going to have much for fresh veggies for a while. Sure hope we have a good crop of pea pods this yr. Can't wait. Need to get some plants started now for our garden this yr. That's never been very successful but we keep trying.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD thanks for the flour inventory update. Today I froze bread DOUGH for brother to use later at dad's if/when he desires. Less space than whole baked loaf and he might as well learn the process. Hubby helped me in the yard today hugely, I can probably finish the wood chips Sunday-Monday alone. Therefore my arms must rest for this week, not trying to craft. Listening to audiobooks, downloaded another one. Found I can "return" ones I am finished with and free up my limit. New feature. They have a 10 e/audio-book checkout limit. All physical library locations closed of course. I walked by the free library box a few days ago and nothing new in there.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, we got the phone call yesterday, basement remodel starts Monday. So this weekend is last minute packing, shoving everything into whatever boxes we can find. I am going to be storing canned goods under the couch. We still have to disassemble the glass display cabinets and pack them.

We had plans to get together with friends tomorrow, but one has come down with the flu. We don't know if it is covid-19 but are taking no chances.

Sunny and very cold today. I may sew later. Got to get pickles and jam upstairs first and a few boxes outside.

I hope everyone has a good day with their chosen projects. I wish I could sit still but I'm so agitated lately that moving boxes is a good use of my energy today.

Supposed to warm up next week, and I will be putting seed into the ground.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good idea to freeze bread dough. That should be a big help to your dad. Fresh bread is such a great comfort food.

I hope your friend is well soon, CH.

I'm restless these days, too. I'm sure it's low level anxiety.

Buns are in the oven. Baking bread has to be one of best smells ever invented.

I cannot wait for winter to go away. I could be outside, of course, but can't do the stuff I want to do. At least the sun is out.

Illinois is now going to issue a statewide stay at home order, following California. I think we all need to brace ourselves for this. It's why I'm taking stock of our food lately.

I read a tweet recently that said something like, during WWII, people were asked to go to war. Now, during covid-19, we're being asked to sit on the couch. I have faith we can handle this, and with the right mindset, some creative thinking, and mindfully protecting ourselves, we will get through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Iím gold! Sitting on the couch is what I do best. Well, if I had a couch. The recliner is my stand-in for it. Lol.

I got the dragon out last night and fell into major indecisiveness. It was full cross. After the quick half cross on the cat I knew deep down I did not want to do full cross anymore on these big full coverage things. I also didnít want to restart it - for the third time. I decided to put with the UFOs and think about it. So what to work on? I had done plenty of gray and white on the cat for a while. No fabric for sheep. I went through my HAEDs and pulled fabric for a couple of smaller ones, but couldnít face the huge thread pull and organization - both have around 90 colors. Finally decided I was fooling no one and would never finish the dragon in full cross so restarted it in half cross. I think I finally worked through the crazies and Iím back to sensible stitching.

I cannot make myself do ANY housework, not even easy things, except for a few dishes. Iíve promised myself that while supper is cooking Iíll work in the kitchen. I need to cook the green beans I was given, and have chicken thawing to bake.

I may do a little on a blackwork piece too. Itís like zentangles with thread, and after you get the design established for the area you can put the pattern aside and just stitch. I think itís more relaxing than cross stitch. This is the SAL I finally caught up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Stash Management-7bef8db8-7a57-4dc1-8bd6-ee16d764eddb.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am tempted to do a stitch a long, but I am still technically working full time. No commuting frees up time. And I can do some stitches when it is slow.

But by my normal standards I am doing quite a bit. Certainly not stitching the whole day though.

Not everyone is sitting at the couch all day, a lot of people are teleworking. Although I suppose you could telework sitting at the couch.

I expect we will see more people trying to learn to cook as well.

Many people at home are starting new hobbies to help them cope.

I think we are fighting a war. A war against depression, anxiety, loneliness, despair. And it does not look like we think fighting a war looks like. But we are still fighting. And people are going on line and trying to make others feel better and keep their emotional health. So yes they are warriors even if they are couch warriors.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy- I’m enjoying the blackwork stitch along. It’s the Peppermmint Purple SAL on Facebook. It’s free and requires little time. She releases one block a week on Wednesdays. The small ones are only 14x14 and don’t take long at all to stitch. There are a number of people trying it for the first time. I think you’re right that people will be looking around for something new to do. I expect as more people fall under lockdown orders, we will be seeing more and more people joining in, especially since it’s free and only requires a piece of aida or evenweave and a little floss. She also links to some free patterns she offers, and it’s easy enough to play around make your own. Im just too lazy. As people continue to lose jobs, cheap is going to be a huge selling point.

I’m eating supper, and yes, did some actual housework while it cooked. I do a little more after I finish and get the kitchen back under control. I really need to do some cooking this weekend or more likely next week. I will eat better if I have easy things in the freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think mental health will take a nosedive. People have to work at not being depressed. Things were bad in this country before covid-19 and those problems haven't gone away. But there are good things, and I keep trying to find them. Even little things can make me feel better.

I read a tweet yesterday that completely cracked me up. Maybe it'll give people here a laugh too. Grandma, looking after her grandson, said in the 3 minutes she left the room to pee, he scotch taped his waffles to his radio controlled car so the dog would chase it around the house. I'm still ROFL at the mental pic I got from her tweet. 😁😁😁😁

I'm also enjoying seeing experts and pundits I'm used to seeing on a TV set who are now calling in to shows or appearing via Skype. They aren't usually wearing suits and ties, no hair or makeup pros to fix them all up. Often they're calling from their own homes or offices, dressed casually, giving a peek at their lives outside their jobs. One expert was doing her live spot when her little dog jumped into her lap and settled in. Seeing people in their natural habitats makes me feel better, because it's a reminder how much we're all more alike than different, with interests and personalities that don't come across on a TV set like when people are at home. It's weird and different and abnormal, but in a nice way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

dress finished, purse fix finished, and I ventured into making my own face mask. ugh, need to travel and will be gone for several weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished my 12 blocks, gonna sew them together now. Ordered 288 yds of 1/4" elastic for face masks, guess that will be my next project. Large local medical center has requested them.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes they are taking more measures here just because people aren't getting it. no reason to hoard groceries but they are doing it. stressing out the chain of grocery workers. new rules every day because of people not taking it seriously today no public service places like hair dressers etc. most did close but there is a few who haven't. Dr Bonnie Henry is on news every day here and she is very calm and is telling it like it is but has a nice voice if that makes sense ..not harsh and alarming though she is saying to take measures. she is the one in charge of all that. playgrounds etc closed now. just because some people don't listen.

really just has been allergy week here and I am in a fog time passes faster even being out for long is bugging me.... normally would be cleaning organizing a lot cus worried but nope. my mom has to have a hysterectomy because cancer or precancer..and she was called in 2 weeks before her booked appt for the results..and has appt tues I am taking her too. if it wasn't serious why the rush at this time w virus. told her she is not allowed to die! last parent and only 76.

I could be doing a lot plenty to do around here renos, decluttering , yardwork plenty of books , crafts etc we were prepared way before anything happened. haven't done any crafting. basic housework of course. have online training and work to do and go in to store monday. place needs a good vacuum and mop cat hair city. spring is definitely here and rain is coming. need to get some cheap gas too. never so low for years here so may as well take advantage.

has been sunny but chilly at night so kale etc in the green house was wet but then sunny I forgot and now all dried out. if I go outside there is always work in the back yard. kids popped up out of their computers and then I said yardwork and they disappeared lol today they have too today because of the rain. watching my hallmark movies new mysteries shown up here. we do have so much we can watch and do to keep us busy. dh has to work at his place down to the last few people.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - They may be rushing your mom in just to get a necessary surgery done before the hospital is totally overwhelmed with virus cases and wouldn’t be able to.

Just another ordinary day here. The fabric did ship and is projected for Monday. I really want to get back to the sheep but if it’s delayed it’s no big deal.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quiet here. I worked in the yard and had some tea and now I want a nap,lol. Got to go down and do more in the basement, though.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think it's all hoarding or hysteria, though no doubt that's part of the problem. Part of it is probably just that people are buying all at once and have similar demands, rather than the same amount of purchases being spread out over weeks. People knowing they need more at once to get through weeks without being able to shop. Or the people like us who paid close attention since this virus started to emerge in China and knew we were being lied to (and still are) when we were told this would be over in 2 wks. (We're on Day Six today! Sure, whatever...) I was hoping for 2 months and planned and purchased accordingly. Now I'm thinking more like at least 6 months and trying to figure out how to stretch our supplies to last that long. And at the time we bought most of our stuff, the only thing HTF was hand sanitizer. Everything else was well stocked. In the next few days after that, all the pro sports shut down. I think that was what finally got people to pay attention and realize covid-19 was a real problem and not a hoax like certain people and some news outlets were trying to make people believe, and then it was Katie-bar-the-door. A week later when Husby was out and stopped at Aldi to pick up some last-chance items, the whole country had gone nuts and lots of stuff was sold out. I think it will take a while for this all to calm down and stores and supply chains to catch up.

Mom called this morning to say she was dizzy and could only lay flat on her back, so I called the ER and had them call and talk to her. The nurse and doc decided it was some form of vertigo, so I went in to be with her. By then she was already doing better. *relief* I stayed 5 hrs and then she said she thought she'd be okay, so I came home. She had just ordered groceries and they sent her a 10 lb bag of sugar because the 4 lb was sold out. Nice break for us, since that's something we should have bought but didn't think of. She is diabetic and is6es very little sugar, so will be happy to share if we need some. She also couldn't get Velveeta or dry milk.

Town was pretty quiet. I drove into town at 9 and only met 5 cars, one was a neighbor and 2 were dog trucks. There was more traffic than normal on the way home, which makes me believe cabin fever is setting in for people. We live on a scenic drive local people like to take just to get out of the house. The one grocery store I went by wasn't very busy for Saturday afternoon.

Drove by our Alaska neighbors' place and wondered if they will come this summer. They're elderly and it's a long drive from Anchorage. I wondered about our Missouri neighbors on the other side, too, also elderly.

I wonder what our tourist season will look like this yr. The way I see it, it will either be normal or very limited. We're screwed either way.

Husby just came in to say the virus is now in our county. Here we go. ☹️

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Louisiana, that is nearly always at the bottom of states lists alternating last place with Mississippi, snagged a sixth place! Unfortunately that’s in number of confirmed virus cases. We were fifth a couple of days ago, then fell to seventh, but we’re clawing our way back up - lol. At least that’s where it stood this morning. I don’t remember the cases number, but 11 deaths. We’ll never be that high on a listing for good things.