2020 Stash Management - Page 6
Page 6 of 182 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

got the bed shuffle done Saturday and the grands love it. Now a lot more room for them to play and of course the fighting over who gets the top bunk. it was really cool watching the mattresses expand. We ordered some from amazon and they got them shrunk to a maybe 10 to 12 inch square by about 40 inches and when we unrolled and opened up, it was quite cool watching. DH and I both didn't want to open them up until we were ready to put on the frame. the kiddos would have been bouncing on them all night long and it was much easier to move them upstairs in the box rather than in mattress form.
    I've been working on getting a desk ready in the den to move my swing machine. it is currently set up on the kitchen table and while I was doing that quilt, needed the extra space, but we now need the space for real dinners now, so I lose my sewing set up.
    dental appt in the am and then home to finish working on getting that squared away, hopefully before the snow hits.

you guys are awesome with how much you get done. totally impressed here.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlr, that's a pretty sunflower block. A whole quilt like that would be very cheerful. A pillow would be nice, too. Hope your transition to retirement is stress-free.

SD, I'm surprised I didn't break something, since I've seen the x-rays of my shoulders, but I guess the bone is still strong. My family has always been a hard-headed bunch.

Didn't get much done today except paying bills (that's frugal, right?) and ironing my "new" fabrics. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and sunnier.

Looks like Friday is bringing us another big midwest winter storm, with thunderstorms, hail, snow and ice possible.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - ouch. I cringe to think how much that hurt. Rest and take care.

This was a bad medical day all around. First the bill for the prescription. It’s mail order via Humana Pharmacy. Locally it would be worse. The drug plan changed for this year and a rep went through all of it with me. Knowing that I was likely to finally be caught by a non-generic soon, I went with the option that would be best for that. I’m a bit fuzzy about details but some of this may be from the annual deductible as well as co pay. Or just deductible. After making the best plan decision I could, I just let them figure it out and hand over the CC. SD - I checked the site you linked but it is still hundreds of dollars there. I knew it would be expensive but since I’m burning through the deductible, it may be better as refills.

It was downhill from there. My ophthalmologist has moved and joined a group practice. I knew roughly where it was but I had a really hard time spotting the actual building. Then I had to park farther away than at his old place, and as I was getting out of the car I realized in my rush to leave home, I had not put the walker in the car. I had to do the whole trek with a cane which is not a happy compromise. Lots of paperwork this time. Eventually I was summoned from the first waiting room and a tech checked eye pressure and I got to read the tiny letters. I was moved to the second holding pen. After sitting there almost two hours with very few being called out, I went in search of a bathroom. At the front desk one of the staff looked up and asked if I wanted to reschedule. Brilliant. I did and left. After all the waiting I was vexed and after the cane instead of the walker, I hurt like heck. I just wanted to go home.

I also called and scrapped the lab. It was getting late and it was just too much.

I’m going to stitch tonight. Period. Tomorrow will be a lot better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ow, DC, that sounds like an awful day. I hate it when the medical offices are overbooked and they let you sit like that. Like you haven't got anything better to do with your entire afternoon. I quit seeing one doctor who was always, always an hour or two behind. I hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

I've been seeing more and more modern quilts on Pinterest and I'm going to steal an idea for the back of my pinwheels quilt. Seeing as how I am piecing the back anyway, I want to do something bold like this:

2020 Stash Management-100991660f53f787cfcd771fc2f619bf.jpg

Or even this:
    2020 Stash Management-8a19fe05c115a77555b632c576f6df3f.jpg

But I'd be using the coordinates that go with my quilt, not those colors.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yikes ch! hope you feel better soon and same to you dc! hate long waits once the receptionist forgot I was there was the only one left by that time. scheduled every 5 10 mins so always late. good scores on the bags too. great projects. haven't done much at all. we did a day trip and I gave her 2 hats. have been good and stayed out of sales and thrift stores. though I did get a michaels gift card from friend. raining a lot here and just vegging and puttering. getting xmas stuff down bit by bit. everyone back at work or school today which is nice.. love them but..cats slept all day cus weather and kids too. we didn't have meeting place for scouts but leaders didn't want to cancel but do geocache in park..yep only 7 most leader kids.. at least wasn't pouring anymore but fog too. warming up my bum on heating pad.

dh got me a vintage sewing pattern I had on amazon. basically my wish list he got everything on it. took longer to ship to his work. here are the pictures from the book store w the fabric windows. 2020 Stash Management-win1.jpg2020 Stash Management-win2.jpg2020 Stash Management-win3.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about your medication woes, dc!

Feel better, CH. The tricycle clearly wasn't the only tripping hazard in that aisle.

Those fabric windows are definitely cool, Martha.

Started skein 2of9 last night on the navy afgan. I seem to be going through them pretty quickly, although they're ~5-6 oz. They're not that much smaller than the wool skeins I was using which were ~8 oz.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope everyone is feeling better today. I'm getting my fancy shmancy insurance-better-pay gold crown Thursday, so I also hope all this medical drama isn't cyber-contageous.

I think I finally know what to do with the beautiful bow front curio cabinet we inherited 20 yrs ago. It's similar to this:2020 Stash Management-00bd31da562cbaa5c4b9601eeb293315_1578414618643.jpg
    I want to add curtains to a shelf or 2 so those can be used for storage, and use the top shelves to display nice dishes. I don't have too many fancy dishes, but the ones I do, I would like to see and not have them packed away. The bottom shelf would be great for the silverware box and other stuff that goes with the fancyness that isn't special to look at. If I use the cabinet for dishes, I can put more large, seldom used kitchen items in the 2 hutches the fancy stuff is in now, like the canners, jerky maker, etc. I use that stuff enough I want to keep it, but it doesn't need to live in the kitchen. To clarify, the dishes are only part of what's in the 2 hutches, and should all fit into the new space, where it would all be together and better organized. Making better use of the curio cabinet will make much more logical use of storage in all 3 cabinets and shouldn't be all that much work. Finally!

UPS is confused today, I think. One of the new sewing machine feet is supposed to arrive today and tracking shows it's been scanned in 4 cities along the usual route we often see. The last scan 50 miles from here has the notation it's out for delivery, but the last entry after that says the package is being held by Customs and to contact UPS. I'm guessing it will show up today, unless it's being held at our local Customs office, which of course it isn't. I think someone hit a wrong button somewhere. We'll find out later today, I guess. But I don't see how a pkg could be scanned at 4 locations if it's sitting in Customs somewhere.

Got the first coat of paint on the little table and should be able to finish that up tomorrow.

I also figured out how I want to make the hutch top for the cabinet I want to make into a hutch. It finally occurred to me there's a wall cabinet in the cabin I want out of there. I went out and measured it and it will work with the base I want to put it in. The wall cabinet is only 18" high, so I can add 1 or more open shelves to make it taller. Not sure when this will all get done because a lot has to happen first, but it's good to have a plan. I'm always happy if I can add storage without having to take up more floor space. I'm also happy I won't have to trash the wall cabinet.

I got a lot done on the sunflowers yesterday. More stitching for me later today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are cool fabric windows, M. They certainly fill up the space. Some of them look hand painted.

I have a list of stuff for today and don't know where to start. Need to find a box to mail some gifts, and of course, we got rid of all that crap last week.

Got caught up on the directions for the mystery quilt I was looking at a few weeks ago. 5 of the 7 parts are triangles. Ugh. Even if I was excited about doing it, I'd hate it soon enough. Prefer to sew squares, even with the die cutter to punch them out.

It's bright and sunny, maybe I will stitch some more this week before we pack up all the christmas decorations.

Knotme, hope you get your new space set up soon, it is certainly easier to get stuff done if you don't have to set up and pick up afterward.

Going to see what happens today....

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I got it partway cleaned out so can start moving my stuff anytime soon. I have been eyeing that mystery too. I still don't have fabrics pulled for it, just what I have previously cut in those sizes from cleaning up other projects. waiting for a printer head to arrive so cannot even print the clues yet. I have been saving them. trying to wait for the big reveal to see if I like it or not.

No dental appt today, cancelled because of snow. but the grandkids are loving the snow. already been out playing in it, and are inside because they are cold, and it's only been snowing an hour and a half. hope to get back to crafting and sewing soon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes will have to look at pictures closer to see they were high up and my phone isn't the greatest. that is good idea for curio cabinet. you don't have to just put dishes in there but other decorative things. I have candlesticks, fancy mugs, good glassware wine glasses etc.

we used to feed the cats who were sick meat baby food. my mom has lots of senior cats and they live on wet food mostly the ones with the most gravy they like friskies or fancy feast and they have senior cat food too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So far, this isn’t shaping up to be a great week. Today the power is off, estimated by the company to be off all afternoon. For a long time the company has been moving down roads toward us, putting up or replacing poles. They have finally gotten to us. Thank goodness it’s not very cold.

I’m a little stiff and sore after the cane assisted hike yesterday but that will pass. Yesterday there were signs up that due to the sensitivity of equipment, phones and other electronics were prohibited. When I went in the second waiting room, two men were using their phones anyway. The rest were law abiding. But as minutes turned to half hours to hours, one by one the phones began coming out. Lol. It apparently did no harm as the medical cops didn’t come to round us up.

I’ll probably just putter around putting away bits here and there until we get power back on. I didn’t put a stitch on the sampler last night. I was just too wiped out. Tonight should be better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just registered for a beginner's crocheting class. Yeah, I know, I've been crocheting for quite a few years (decades, really). But I'm finally going to take the time to actually learn how to read a pattern and go beyond the single stitch afgans and scarves. The class is part of the township's adult 'school' program. It's only three weeks. Also signed up for the single class on crocheting socks. I think I'll take the knitting 101 class next 'semester' (or the next time it's offered) since it couldn't hurt to learn that either. I did learn how to knit at one point but put the project down and never picked it back up again. (Unlike crochet.) Then again, I did start with an afgan project, when I probably should've started with a basic scarf.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, hope power comes back soon.

We had a really bright day here, so I got some stitching done. I was up for two strands but my wrist said no after the first one. It's looking like something now.

Chopped up some awful garish ice-cream cone print for quilting. It looks good with the orange/peach print and the neon green. Will make a great kid's quilt. It's about half assembled.

Spent the afternoon out. Most of the swelling on my face is gone, but ribs still hurt. Thinking of going to the gym tomorrow to renew membership and do some cardio walking.

Enjoy the crochet, Renmerc. One of these days I want to give that another try.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're right, CH, I would have loved that fabric place with the cheap remnants. Are you having fun moving into your new bag? Hope your wrist feels better.

Ren, that's exciting you're taking the crochet class! Congrats on opening up a whole new creative world for yourself. You will have so much fun. Remember, YouTube and Ravelry are your friends, YT for how to videos if you forget something you kearned at class, and Rav for tons of free patterns.

D, I hope you got power back and life is back to normal.

Knotme, glad to hear you're able to carve out a sewing space for yourself. That will help a lot if you can leave things ready to work on all the time.

I should be able to finish the sunflowers today, leaving just the border. It's simple so I hope to finish that today, too.

I also plan to start procastinating about cleaning up around my recliner today. I will be finishing the new little table today, and have to clean up so it can sit by my chair. The table should be ready to go tomorrow unless it needs a 3rd coat.

Another busy day. I like that. It keeps me from eating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH and DC I hope you are feeling better.

CH, Maybe you could use a really bright lamp so you could stitch whenever you want to.

I made my Valdani thread purchase online yesterday. All of it was variegated colors. They have some interesting variegated color choices. I am kind of drawn to the blacks. They are not the standard black and white or black, white gray. They are blacks with other very dark colors mixed in.

It occurs to me that my various craft purchases for the year generally add up to less than 1% of my income. So I figure that is pretty frugal.

I could probably go quite a while without buying new supplies. But I will probably continue to make occasional purchases. I have enough thread and fabric to last for quite a while. The felt I use to embroider on may get used up quicker than I thought. When I do a piece that uses a lot of fill in stitches, it takes a long time. But some pieces have a bit of white space so those take less time.

The last thread dye batch was a success. The colors did not bleed out. However, I had forgotten that colors look darker when they are wet. So - except for the alcohol marker one - the colors are lighter than the picture I took when they were drying.

I got off early from work yesterday - we had an early dismissal for snowy weather.

I started a new embroidery. This one will be flowers. I have two different books with flowers. I am going to try several different flowers. I may also add a bee or butterfly above some of the shorter flowers. Right now I am thinking of solid green for leaves and stems and variegated colors for the flowers. This is going to have a lot of white space on it.
    KathyB

Page 6 of 182 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast