2020 Stash Management - Page 7
Page 7 of 179 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2020 Stash Management-img_e4353.jpg

Sorry everyone for crashing this thread, I tried to send pics to SD privately but it wouldn't let me send in a pm. ?

SD, maybe something like this would work for your puzzle dilemma. We had a puzzle caddy years ago and do not use it anymore but we do use the trays. We have even made more trays for puzzle pieces out of cardboard. You just make a lip around the edge so pieces do not fall off and add a thin foam top. Maybe make a bottom piece for the actual puzzle to sit on, stack trays on top and then make a cardboard piece that fits the top and maybe use Velcro strips on each side the hold it all together. Then when you need the puzzle out of your way you can slide it under a bed or put it on a higher surface to get it away from the cats.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2020 Stash Management-img_4355.jpg

Another picture.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rabbit - that’s what I do for puzzles. I made trays in three sizes to accommodate different size puzzles, and extra trays for pieces. I used foam core board for mine.

I made a selfish decision last night. I’m not going to make the beaded kits for Christmas presents this year. I might do a couple late fall as we move toward Christmas and then a couple the next year. I may change my mind later, but I have so many great new kits and patterns that I really want to just work on my stuff. Since no one knew I was doing it, no one will be disappointed - lol.

Last night I also figured out why I have been so lethargic. Chest congestion became very noticeable. With the warm weather and intermittent rain I suspect the culprit is fungus spores. I haven’t looked at counts, but air must be full of them. Maybe also early pollen. I need to keep plugging away at the house, but now that I’ve recognized the cause, I’ll mostly just go with the flow and take it easy. This will pass and in the meanwhile it’s a good excuse for laziness.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit, you are ALWAYS welcome here! Thanks so much for this idea and the pics. I love it! I think felt would work as well as foam to line the cardboard trays. I could make one large tray to work the puzzle in and 2 or more smaller ones to put loose pieces in. Small ones would be easier because they could be moved around for easier searching. I can size the whole shebang to fit the folding table. Love the idea of a cardboard lid, too. When there's no puzzle on them, the trays could be stored on edge behind something and out of the way.

Wheels are turning now! Thanks so much, Rabbit! I never really liked the roll up mat idea, but hadn't taken time to think up something else. Now I don't have to. *adding puzzle trays to project list and felt to shopping list*

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a great idea for puzzles. I enjoy doing them, but have no place to lay out all the pieces.

DC, hope you're not getting sick. Do you have an inhaler for the spores? I understand the cedar pollen in the south is pretty bad this winter, too.

As for stitching, I find the morning and afternoon sunlight is better than any lamp, even my LED daylight lamps. It's just so much easier to see the holes. And I do need a better pair of reading glasses. These are ok for sewing quilt blocks, but not quite the strength I need for hand work. Just getting older.

SD, I have moved some items into the roll-around, to get them off the floor. I have not had time to sort stuff into pockets and add any extra tools. To start I am going to use it as a replacement for the two tote bags I'd normally carry to the quilt bee, and not put the machine in it. It will hold my cutting mat, extention table, presser foot and cords, cone thread and holder, plus whatever projects I am taking. I'll even be able to put my thermos bottle and snacks in there.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, hey, Humble Bundle is offering craft books this month: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/g...ent=cta_button

These are e-books. Pay a dollar, get the first title (Get Crafty: Knitting, Sewing & Crafting by ABRAMS). Pay an additional $1, $8 or $15 to unlock additional titles. It's a great deal and completely legit.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, CH. I’m sure I’m not getting sick. This is normal. It just always takes a while to recognize it for what it is. I rarely get the hay fever type allergy. It always heads straight to my lungs. I’ll be fine.

One of the orders I placed, back on December 16, was with an often recommended Canadian company. I was just notified that it shipped today. About time. It’s the same place I ordered the frame extension from. Who knows when that will come!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All 3 cross-stitch books are at the library now, I will probably go to pick up. Not urgent but I might want to - you know - use the copier at work before I lose access to it. I have a 3-ring binder w/ that sort of stuff already. Started knitting another set of hand warmers to use up the pink yarn. I hope I can manage to give these away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ah yes! I do miss the work copier! But not enough to go back to work.

Big declutter step. LG’s mom is going to take my breadmaker. She and LG love to bake so it might as well be used. It was destined for a trip to the attic. I haven’t used it a year. First “tomorrow” and then “next week” just never came. They carried it out just now, the manual, a couple of big cookbooks, and about half the flour. And the yeast. Oh, and the special pan for baking French bread loaves. The machine has been sitting on my small kitchen table, always in the way, but that was the only good place to use it.

I’ve accomplished a lot in the kitchen today so now I’m officially off duty. Time to stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, I know what you mean about daylight, especially on dark fabrics.

I've been very pleased with my double eyeglass arrangement. I can't get by without my reading glasses because of astigmatism, but I can use a pair of Dollar Tree cheaters worn over them and that works great. It's like having adjustable bifocals I can change just by changing to stronger or weaker glasses. I can look through the double glasses to stitch up close, then glance below my reading glasses and look through the cheaters to see the pattern which is further away. I've tried so many different things over the yrs and this is working by far the best for me so far. I've always had a big problem with whatever handwork being a different distance away than my pattern, so I'm happy I finally found a cheap and easy solution. I don't even care how stupid it looks. I bought 2 prs of 3.25 magnification just to try them out, but next time I'm at DT I'm buying 5 more prs. I'm tired of running to get a pr, and at $1, I can have them all over the place.

I can imagine LG's family appreciates the bread machine, D. You will probably get more homemade bread from it now than when it lived in your house!

I thought of a piece of masonite I salvaged that would make a dandy puzzle tray. Since the temp had shot all the way up to zero, we went out to the garage and dug through the lumber rack to find it. It might work if I piece it, so I'm thinking about it. I might be able to frame it with parting stop or lath, both of which are cheap. I will have to see what the lumberyard has. I have a nice new heavy box the air fryer came in that would make good trays. Husby seems to really like this puzzle caddy idea. Maybe I can talk him into making the dang thing, at least the masonite part.

We found the other crib side I salvaged, too. Now I have to figure out a neutral color to work with our cross stitch. Maybe scratch remover would work better than paint. The crib parts are dark brown which might actually be a good color as is. I'll see once I get all the plastic and hardware stripped off.

I can't seem to resist adding more irons to the fire on a daily basis.

I got the sunflowers done. Now to assemble the box. I might line it with some anti-tarnish cloth and/or make some little drawstring bags for jewelry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we lived in South Dakota, Husby had a home office which the company completely outfitted and paid for. We had a copier, back when those were way more expensive and not common in peoples' homes. Dang, I used the heck out of that thing! When Husby got laid off, we were hoping we could keep it, but alas, they carted it away to Minneapolis in the back of the company car. ☹️

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LOL, DC, you're going to be asked to taste a lot of bread. You're right though, if it takes up space you're better off giving it to someone who is excited to use it. I only used mine for mixing, and it went away when I got a stand mixer.

Spent today at home in my pajamas. Didn't need to go anywhere, and did need to do laundry.

My cross stitch. Baby steps.

2020 Stash Management-dscn1414.jpg

The ugly ice cream fabric. It was a donation.

2020 Stash Management-dscn1412.jpg

I think the colors work pretty well.

2020 Stash Management-dscn1416.jpg

Also got some work done on my pinwheels quilt. The cat helped.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a nice kids' quilt, very cheerful. The ice cream isn't that bad.

I got a good start on the sewing room cross stitch. All that black is boring, with just enough counting to keep it interesting enough I have to pay attention.

We have to be in town this morning, so I hope we can stop at the lumber yard for puzzle tray parts. I want to get that project done ASAP. Our puzzles aren't going to work themselves!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I miss the bread machine I had once. A part broke and I ended up getting rid of it. (This was before I joined up here.) But I have a small kitchen and too much clutter to pick up another one. Sigh. Although I've been starting to take baby steps in clearing out things that have been in the junk drawers for years without even being looked at.

About halfway through skein 2of9 on the navy afgan. I feel like I'm accomplishing something with the smaller skeins. I think it's also that I'm working with different color yarn. I love the wool yarn and afgans but it was just one similar afgan after another for a few months. That and the wool-blend one I made for myself took a looong time, given the fingering weight yarn. I do have another one of similar weight but I will work on that in spurts so I don't get frustrated. But that will wait until spring/summer since I'm still only on the first skein on that one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - the colors in the ice cream print work well in the quilt.

Last night I finally got the bottom strip with the bunnies done. I think I’m going to have to backstitch the bunnies. The pattern doesn’t call for it but it will definitely help them. I’m going to forge ahead on the center now, and can do that little backstitching when it’s all finished.

It sounds like our turn for the violent weather will come tomorrow evening and into Saturday. National weather service effectively said, “we really mean it this time.” They’ve held an emergency meeting with hospitals and such facilities to give them some lead time to prepare. They expect high damaging winds, tornadoes, and large hail. A drawback to this house is that there really isn’t a traditional safe place. Nothing really to do but hunker down and hope for the best. Tornadoes are so very local that the odds are pretty much always in your favor on that score.

So how much housework should I do? I would be really ticked off if I got everything nice and neat just to have it all blown away - lol. At least I can’t be conked on the head by the bread machine! One hazard down. Prep done.

Page 7 of 179 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast