Vacation Challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Vacation Challenge

We've already bought our plane tickets (on a credit card, unfortunately). We're leaving for Florida July 11th, and coming back the 24th. Among the things we want to do are Orlando, St. Augustine, Key West, and Naples. Most of the attractions we are planning on visiting are going to be free or very cheap thanks to some connections on my part. We are mostly saving for the rental car cost and gas money, groceries, plus a few meals here and there (most will be eaten at my parents house, or picnic style with a cooler).

Anyway, here's my plan. I'll get 5 paychecks before we go, and DH will get 4. If we take $100 from each of mine and $200 from each of his that's $1300. So that's my goal!

So far we have $100/$1300. $1200 more to go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Feels good to have a plan, doesn't it?

That reminds me, I need to start a vacation fund.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It really does! It makes me even more excited for vacation.

Last year we didn't really have a plan, plus I wasn't working, so a few days into our trip we had already overdrawn our checking account. And we're still paying off the credit cards. :/

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a great plan! Good luck on reaching your goal.

--Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really need to do this too. But I'm working on my fund for my sewing machine at the moment so will start this when I'm half way to that first goal.

Sounds like you have a great plan and I bet it will feel good to know that you're not using credit cards to cover the holiday.

Simone

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you already make the reservations for the rental car? We went through Thrifty when we went down to Florida a few years back. Their prices were the best. I searched high and low and couldn't find a cheaper price than their price. I can't remember the type of car we had but it was very nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a great plan!! WTG!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a great plan! You won't have to stress out because of the credit cards this time since you've saved up. Have fun on your trip!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have fun on your trip! DH and I have never had a vacation, and we have been married 12 years. His employer does not offer ANY paid time off, even CHRISTMAS! No vacation, no nothing. He can't even get a couple of unpaid days off. When he asks, they always tell him "Sorry we just can't!". I beg him to find another job, but he is stubborn.

Ani
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice work, it's awesome to have a plan.

Both of the "vacations" that we have to take this year (one with hubby's family, one to my parents for Christmas) have already been saved for and are sitting in our ING account earning interest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ani View Post
    Nice work, it's awesome to have a plan.

Both of the "vacations" that we have to take this year (one with hubby's family, one to my parents for Christmas) have already been saved for and are sitting in our ING account earning interest.
    Yeah I wish I would have though about saving up like that a lot sooner. We're stashing ours in our ING account too. They have a very nice interest rate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sounds like a great plan Good Luck!!

we arew saving for our holidays this year too - feels good to have the money to be going with instead of worrying about where we can find it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When you're in Key West, make sure to go to the pier at sunset for the party. They have a party every night down there with clowns, jugglers, and street musicians just to celebrate sunset.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Good Luck with your vacation. Cheapest car rentals are at Walmart. Budget rental thru them has the lowest rate and will honor any rate that may be lower that you find somewhere else. I am normally not a Walmart person but, last year I found them to have the best rental car deals. I live in St. Augustine and Free things to do are downtown walk on St. George Street. Don't forget to visit Flagler's buildings and The beach, The Fort is affordable, Go to the Shrine on San Marco as it is free and has a beautiful walk in the park on the water. DO NOT pay to go to many of the attractions like "Fountain of Youth , Old Jail, and such as they are way overpriced and just a way a local has found to make money and the Shrine and many others are free and you see the same. If you are going to stay overnight pick up the coupon "Traveler" magazine to get great coupons for hotel rooms. If you were to spend money on one thing here in St. Augustine I suggest the trains that tour you. Do buy a package deal just the ride. Ride completely around the first time as they will tour the complete downtown area pointing out points of interest and educate you on the town. Notice where all the stops are as throughout the day a train stops at all stops around town in which you can get on or off all day. Well worth the money in convenience as you do not have to find parking and you don't miss anything. Have a great Vacation!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello again, sorry about the mistake on package deal. It should have been Don't buy the package deal just the train ride. Here is a link to our city, St. Augustine.
    Well, Can't post a link yet so just go to oldcity.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast