Reading anything you would recommend? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, you can get the Kindle app free for your PC without owning a Kindle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished Amy Poehler's book, forget name but she has only written one. It was really good, funny but introspective. She did not trash talk her ex-husband, Will Arnett, handled the topic very well. She started this: About Us | Amy Poehler's Smart Girls to empower young girls. I admire her more than before reading

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some of my faves that you might find interesting:
    "The Old Man and the Sea" by Earnest Hemingway
    "Swamp Angel" by Ethel Wilson
    "Possum Living" by Dolly Freed
    "Ben Hur" by Lew Wallace

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks, I've only read the first!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

why has this thread dropped off? A lot of people here read, lets keep it going and suggest some good books.
    I am reading "Plain Truth" by Jody Picoult. Her stories always keep you interested.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A month ago I read "Circle of Friends" by Maeve Binchy. I love all of her books.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also like Jodi Picoult books. Someone had mentioned that because I like her books that I also might like Diane Chamberlain. I have read 3 of her books and like them also. Just finished Necessary Lies by her.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for bumping this up. Back to Incognito's post...I read Possum living too! I liked it so much I interviewed the author on a radio show. She's still fun,but living a very different life now.

I just finished a book by Karl Pilkington (very strange but I like them), and am re-listening to David Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day".

My favorite books that I read in 2018: David Sedaris "Calypso", Sherman Alexie "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me", Terese Mailhot "Heart Berries" and George Saunders "Lincoln in the Bardo"

My tastes run a bit "dark" rather than "fun" or "uplifting"

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had to read The Old Man and the Sea in high school and it totally put me off anything Hemmingway and all 20th century literature. I enjoyed my college studies in English, but I've read enough "literature" for several lifetimes and my tastes are pretty frivolous these days.

Most of what I like is historical fiction, mysteries, or sci-fi. I get enough drama in real life, I want escapism.

I'm about 1/4 the way into The Tudor Conspiracy by CW Gortner. Loosely based on historical events, it's going slow. The author can't really spice it up much without turning it into pure fantasy.

I started The Silver Gun by LA Chandlar. 1930's murder mystery. Maybe. I'm several chapters in and there's something going on but no murder yet.

I was gifted The Adventuress, by Tasha Alexander. Part of a mystery series that takes place in Victorian times. I have read the first few but not reached this one yet.

Started The Aeronaut's Windlass, by Jim Butcher. He's a local writer known for gritty urban fantasy, this one is more steampunk. Having a hard time getting started with it.

And there's a dozen or more other titles in piles that I haven't had time for yet. Waiting for a good snowy day to park myself on the couch.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm reading Lee Child's "Persuasion", part of the Jack Reacher series. Love Jack Reacher. Hate Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

My reading preference usually is for pop fiction by authors like Lee Child, CJ Box, William Kent Krueger, or John Sandford, mostly crime novels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    why has this thread dropped off? A lot of people here read, lets keep it going and suggest some good books.
    I am reading "Plain Truth" by Jody Picoult. Her stories always keep you interested.
    I can not recommend this book, I did not like the ending AT ALL and felt it was very poor writing and left a lot of questions unanswered.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even when I was working full time, I read at least one book a week. I started an audible subscription in 2001 and I was hooked. Every time I ran, cooked, cleaned or drove I would listen to a book. I still read print but I loved the way time passed wonderfully while doing chores or exercise while listening to a good book. I read most every genre. I'm drawn to the classics, science fiction, and biographies. I just finished Michelle Obama's autobiography.

I've never seen a movie that does a book justice.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree about the movies. I too read a book a week, sometimes more. I have always loved reading.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

just finished twas the knife before.... a cozy mystery. it was good.. a lot of them I just read the beginning and the ending chapters because it is not worth it to read the whole thing. there are lots of new cozy mysteries every month so ...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just finished "A Man Called Ove." - really good. Now I am going to watch the movie from the library.
    Make America Kind Again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast