Reading anything you would recommend? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just finished 'Bitterroot: A Salish Memoir of Transracial Adoption" in hardcopy (tragic and informative about a Native American woman in Montana) and am finishing up "There, There" by Tommy Orange on audio (a novel about urban indians in oakland california) that won many awards last year. Both are fantastic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished Family Trust by Kathy Wang.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

finished a book about one of the first forensic inspectors here Vance was called the sherlock holmes of canada. he started working in 1907. about his life and his cases. A couple of cozy mysteries but mostly flipping though because easy to figure out and not grabbing me to read whole thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have recently discovered a website called Wattpad that has free stories posted. There are some paid stories, but most of them are free. There is a high percentage of complete stories posted. If you read stories online, you might notice that on many sites abandon stories seem to be really common.

There is one I thought might be of interest to people here called Frugal Lissa Finds a Body. It is a cozy mystery story. The main character is a mother of two who runs a frugal blog. She also has a side job of restoring old furniture other people have tossed. There are frugal tips which are done as part of the narrative. I think it is kind of nice to see a frugal character presented in a positive light.

She has a best friend who works long hours and is not happy about her job. That makes for an interesting contrast.

So far only two chapters are posted, but if you are impatient, you can buy the finished book on Amazon. Or if you are frugal you can just read a little bit as it is posted. I am hoping the whole story is posted. People often post whole books, but occasionally people just post excerpts to get you to buy the book. The author's other posting is only an excerpt.

Mostly I go for completed stories or stories with lots of chapters posted. This was an exception, since the title interested me.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well it turns out Frugal Lisa was only a sample, but I have found lots of other books I like.

I have found that many authors who have series will put the first book in the series up as a freebie. (There is a similar thing on Amazon ebooks.)

I just finished reading the first one in a series called Not Famous in Hollywood which I like. The main character is a personal assistant to someone with a very difficult personality. I think part of the appeal is that even if you are having a rough day at work, it is still better than what she is going though. There is a lot of humor in the book, so her poor treatment does not come off as depressing. The main character is a genuinely nice person, which is refreshing. A growing trend seems to be for female leads to be "sassy" or "snarky." In my opinion, these people sometime come across as not very nice people.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started reading the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz. I just finished the second one, which was even better than the first, which was pretty darn good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234