Reading anything you would recommend?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Reading anything you would recommend?

I am reading Funny Girl by Nick Hornby, I like his books. This one is about a girl from a small town who moves to London in the late 1950s, wants very much to be the next Lucille Ball. Recently read Lena Dunham's essays, a good read.

I used to read 2-3 books a week my entire life. Then I got sick and no matter how hard I tried, reading anything longer than an article, was too much and I immediately forgot it. Well, I was coming up on a year with no books and it makes me very unhappy, reading is my "thing". So in May I decided I needed brain rehab- 1/2hr reading a day, 1 hr on "complex" tv, have not gotten through a movie in a year, I'll add that in later. May it took me a month to read Girl On the Train, I had to keep re-reading what I read the day before, incredibly annoying and it is wiped from my memory except for girl on train, murder and lots of wine, lol. But in June I read 3 books. I use Goodreads, so they are there because the only one I remember is Lena Dunham's book. I just finished a thriller and am remembering parts of that. So it's getting easier and enjoyable again if I just tell myself I'm along for the ride, as long as that is good, who cares if I remember nothing? (well, I care, but I want my brain back so I'm trying this)

Tv is an adventure, if I don't delete a show, I will watch it 3 times before realizing it's a tad familiar, lol. I'm trying to follow True Detective but have to watch twice to get it, only to forget it the next day. But I'm trying!

what are you reading or would recommend?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read "28 and a half wishes". It is going around on the free Kindle downloads right now. The author is a very good writer - not a wasted word and detailed, fast moving story line. She falls into the "chick lit" genre but it isn't sappy. After "28", I downloaded another free book by her - a different series, though - and this other book is just as good. Now I have to try a second book in either series just to see how she handles it. Some second books in a series are dull and repetitive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

cookielee, do you know if Kindle lets you download their app for free and read Kindle books on a non-kindle device? Nook lets you do that, you don't ever have to buy a Nook. If Kindle does this too, do you know if they let you read the free books like the one you reviewed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to have Kindle on a netbook, so the answer is yes. You can read the same books as you can with any other Kindle device/app.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm reading the Poldark novels by Winston Graham, since I like the show so much (on PBS, so very family friendly).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't heard of that show or books. I usually like PBS stuff so I'll give it a go, thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can read my Kindle books on my laptop or my phone ... even better they sync up so I can read on my phone then the next time I'm near the internet I can pick up right where I left off on my laptop or Kindle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

can you get the free Kindle books if you are using the app but don't own a kindle? I would guess not.

ooh, just read you paid off orthodontia, yay!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just read and loved 'The Secret Keeper' by Kate Morton.

100% debt free in 2015... in strategic, mindful debt since 2017. Not all debt is bad
    Blogging at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really enjoyed Funny Girl.

I'm reading Amy Poehler's book, very entertaining. I admire her for her support of girls, she really does a lot and is a good role model.

About Us | Amy Poehler's Smart Girls

she's also involved in a bunch of other charities that I admire. So far in the book, she hasn't mentioned her good works, I hope she does, she is inspiring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love cozy mysteries. There are several authors / series I've been reading. Jenn McKinlay,Maggie Sefton, Ellery Adams and several others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

James Herriot was a British veterinarian who wrote wonderful stories about his life in Yorkshire. I think his first book was All Creatures Great and Small, but there's a whole series. Each chapter is an individual story so you can read one or several, put the book down, and not have to worry about where the story left off. Funny, poignant, great character studies, and throughout them all is a real love and respect for God's creatures.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I read his books as a teen, loved him, a gifted man, thanks for the reminder

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Girls of Riyadh, very interesting read.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I loved all the Herriot books as a young adult. I think I'll re-read those. Thanks, chocolate!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast