Thegreatcourses.com DVD's - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Enjoying the lectures I've gotten and watched so far. There is only one professor that I'm not that fond of. He's not bad but he uses the 2nd person POV, which I find distracting.

Just finished the course on secret societies. A lot of names but I enjoyed it. I'm currently watching the "Beginnings of Judaism" course. It's interesting and I think I might re-watch the Jewish Influences on Jesus/Christianity course. I know they overlap since some of the lectures cover a lot of similar material. I'm not sure what course I'll watch next but I'll probably do the Introduction to Formal Logic course or one of the writing/literature courses next.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just read an article in the local paper - these are actually produced close to where I live. A total surprise. Now I am intrigued.
    ‘The Netflix of learning’ | Articles | fairfaxtimes.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dlr, that's so cool. So is the article. The Great Courses has several different options for accessing their lectures, including a digital library.

Just finished the "Beginnings of Judaism" course. That was interesting, especially since I also watched the one on the Jewish Influences on Jesus.

The one on Secret Societies was cool but had a lot of names. I'm also in the process of watching the one on Camping, which is pretty recent. That's a very good intro to camping and outdoor survival/excursions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I liked those two also. I think I've now watched all the philosophy and religion courses and that's a LOT of lectures. I really liked the Dead Sea Scrolls one.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim, the Dead Sea Scrolls one is still on my wish list. I'll probably pick it up the next time it goes on sale. The first set I picked up was on the Gnostic Gospels, which I liked. I like the philosophy and religion ones.

I started Life Lessons from the Great Myths. So far so good. (I put the Outdoor Fundamentals one to the side for the moment.)

Funny thing is, I noticed that the backgrounds in the recording studios changed over the years. Not just the pictures in the background but the walls as well. One thing I did notice in the lectures on the Black Death series is that some items were moved around a bit from lecture to lecture. I think I need to go back and watch some others to see if the same thing happens in those as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed changes, too. The older ones were recorded in front of a live class. I pay $10 a month for the service. When I first subscribed, it was $19.99 a month. I cancelled then I got a special offer so I took it. I love that they're 30 minute lectures. I haven't looked at the ones in my field but I imagine they would have been good class openers. The one on games was excellent, too.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I noticed that about the first classes as well, Kim. So far, that's only bothered me on one of the courses where the Professor seemed to be lecturing to the people in front of him. It wasn't that bad, just distracting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was poking around our library web site today, apparently they have some Great Courses audio courses that can be checked out. It uses different software than the Overdrive I am used to for audio-books. Have not figured it out yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dlr - I hope you can figure out the software for the Great Courses. I'm glad your library has some you can check out. Perhaps call or skype with one of the librarians to see if they can walk you through the new software.

I've watched a few of the courses I've picked up during the shut down. The latest one was on Heroes and Legends with Prof. Shippey. (I think he's considered the leading expert on J.R.R. Tolkien.) Most of what I've been watching lately (I get the DVD's) is on literature, philosophy, and history.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reserved a DVD (national parks) and a CD (writers Emerson, Thoreau) from the library now that it is open again. Have not figured out the online audio courses I saw before. Pickup from the library won't be bad though, they are shelved in a special pickup area and email notification when they are ready. They had about 350 titles each in CD and DVD formats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm on a Great Courses kick recently. Just finished the course on Colonial America before 1776. It touched on things I had either forgotten or don't remember learning before.

Going through "the Great Tours: Experiencing Medieval Europe". That's ok, although it focuses just on some major buildings in the selected cities. Mostly churches/religious buildings and civic buildings. I think I'll see if they have other series on different locations/time periods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to say what dlcpa posted .. I didn't know it was a streaming service thing.. our library has some plus lots of other teaching dvds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha - I think the streaming service is available if you have a membership fee through the Great Courses Plus service. Not sure how the library service works, though.

Another option is the 'instant video' on the regular Great Courses site. That way you can buy only what you want and they regularly have sales. They also have the 'instant audio' option if you want to take them on the road. I buy the DVDs so I don't have to worry about internet service. I do get a copy of the online video option as a backup. Go figure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah our library get the dvds you can take out. I just looked..they have over 300 wow! plus over a 100 audio books to download. didn't think they had so many. good to know. I agree having dvds and not having to rely on the internet is good. I know people get rid of all their music and movies etc but we don't because still handy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12