Malls: Death of an American icon
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Malls: Death of an American icon

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - If you spent your formative years at the local shopping mall sipping Orange Julius and hanging out near the ubiquitous water fountain, you might be sad to learn that the mall as you know it is headed toward extinction.
    Here is the link for the rest of the story......

http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/02/pf/y...alls/index.htm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have seen this coming for a long time. The Mall here in the closest city has been closing shops for a couple of years. It is at least 1/3 unoccupied. Malls have never been my thing and they have long been to expensive for many careful consumers. I can see a movie in the mall for $9.00 or go down the block and see the same movie for $4.75....... In truth many or even most of the shops now in the mall will not survive as a free standing store. They will be put out of business by mass retailers such as Wal-mart and Meijer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Many of the malls have disappeared here as well and they've gone to box office stores. Although I never liked malls, one thing I did like was going into one and not having to worry about the extreme cold weather until I was done shopping. With the new type stores we now have, after going into each store, you have to come outside into the extreme cold and either walk or find a new parking lot. Summer is fine, but when you have temperatures in the low -40's and windchill factors of -50, you don't like having to go in and out, in and out!!!

Walmart actually started building the new stores here and everyone had to follow!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in MN so I will have my Mall of America for quite a while I am guessing.

We have one of those "inside out" malls and I hate it cuz if I want to go to 2 or 3 stores unless they are right next to each other (which rarley if ever happens) I have to get in my car and drive over to the next parking lot. Even if I wanted to walk you can't because there are no side walks or anything, unless, again, it is a store right next to each other.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I HATE malls. I haven't been in one in about three years. I would be happy to never, ever set foot in one again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also hate malls,I guess it is the frugal nature in those of us that makes us hate them. I do like them for woindwo shopping and dreaming but that is about it. I do shop at J.C. Penneys or Sears at the end of Season sales and get some great bragains, and you have to go to the mall for that, but that is my limit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate malls! We have an outlet mall here, Great Mall of Milpitas. Even in these so called discount outlet stores that are in the mall everythings over priced. If I happen to be there with someone and see something I like I write it down and pick it up at Walmart later for about 1/2 the price.