anyone read any books by Don Aslett?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default anyone read any books by Don Aslett?

I know he has some books on cleaning, organizing, and decluttering. I was wondering if anyone has ready anything by him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't, but here is his website:

http://www.cleanreport.com/

I always tend to find these types of books to the extreme, so don't bother purchasing them. I could probably get them from the library, but just haven't bothered.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have his book, "Is There Life After Housework", it's collecting dust on the bookshelf, right now. He has good ideas, like only cleaning when necessary, not just out of routine. I need to get with it and follow his advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

But doesn't it just come naturally? I mean, I know I have to clean my cupboards, clean the oven, do the bathroom. Do we really need all his books to tell us that? Just a thought!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like his approach, but his books are very comprehensive. I find myself flipping through to find "good stuff".

I picked up the cleaning encyclopedia at a yard sale recently. Everything you need to clean and how to clean it, in alphabetical order.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've read loads of his books.

Some I didn't really get into? But I had a collection of them once that I 'lent' to somebody and never saw them again. I was really upset - I think he's (on the whole) Great! He's got a brilliant sense of humour.

Most are a really easy read - One of his books has a section called 'what to expect from your DH and kids' and there's about 10 dirty empty pages LOL.

I think he's a good read.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dixie
    I have his book, "Is There Life After Housework", it's collecting dust on the bookshelf, right now. He has good ideas, like only cleaning when necessary, not just out of routine. I need to get with it and follow his advice.
    I have this one too, and he does have really good tips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by homesteadmamma
    But doesn't it just come naturally? I mean, I know I have to clean my cupboards, clean the oven, do the bathroom. Do we really need all his books to tell us that? Just a thought!!
    I think certain things come naturally to certain people. Cleaning does not come naturally for me--I know what needs to be done, but sometimes figuring out the easiest and most economical way to do it poses a problem. I have another book that gives lots of great ideas on how to clean things easily--things I had never heard of before.

My mom was never a "teacher" and didn't show me much in the way of how to clean, how often, etc. and I found that when I was on my own, establishing a routine became difficult for me (and still is).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Michelle on that.

My mum is a born organized housewife - She has always baked, cleaned, and organized for as long as I've known her.

She's the sort of person that NEVER has outstanding ironing and washes the skirting boards EVERY time she hoovers.

But looking back I think although we had our 'own' jobs they were to stop us interfering with 'her' housekeeping.

When I left home I didn't know how to work a washing machine and housekeeping has always been really hard work for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My mom never taught me anything either and it was horrible when I first got married. But I knew what I had to do, although maybe not as economical per se has it should have been.

But does one need all of Aslett's books in order to know how to do everything. Isn't one good book really enough when it comes to this? I'm just throwing out the question here.

Its interesting, because when I started my journey into simplicity, although 3 books profoundly changed my life, had I only read one of those 3, it would have been enough.

What I'm asking here really is, how many books do we need to read on one particular subject (such as this, cleaning) before they pretty much say all the same thing, kwim.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To be fair, that's a good point.

Once you've read ONE book on anything, you've 'basically' seen them all.

However to KEEP searching for information gives you a valid excuse why you're not actually making any progress with anything

That would be MY experience anyway!

Certainly food for thought - Not sure I was ready for the reality though LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In answer to your question, CJ, I have 2, and I think that's enough for me right now. But if I see another that I like that has something new in it, I would buy that one too. Reference books for something that I really need or am interested in are a good 'investment' for me.

And I have to disagree that once you've read one book on a subject you've read them all, Bev. I buy books that are different after carefully skimming them to see that they aren't the same as what I already have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is going off topic just a bit (sorry Sara), but when I found the TWG, the first book was great. When she got down to the third book, it was pretty similar to the first, although there were some new things in there to learn I suppose.

Its the same with quilting books. I love quilting books, you all know that, but more and more as I purchase them, they are pretty much saying the same thing, only in a different way. Yes, there are new patterns but really how many patterns can you use in a lifetime.

I also love any books I can find on inner simplicity/simple living and will continue to purchase those types of books. Its just a given. BUT still, many of them are saying the same thing, only in a round about way.

So, what it really boils down to is this. Are we making those authors rich by purchasing the same "style" of books over and over again by the same author, kwim.

Don't get me wrong here, I won't stop purchasing (when I have the extra $$) a book on simplicity, or quilting - but I'm very picky about the types of books I purchase now.

Just more food for thought!!