Frugal Village Forums banner

Louisiana May Ban Low-Slung Pants (ok, I'm laughing here)

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  graci42 
#1 ·
Fri Apr 23, 7:37 AM ET
Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

BATON ROUGE, La. - People who wear low-slung pants that expose skin or "intimate clothing" would face a fine of up to $500 and possible jail time under a bill filed by a Jefferson Parish lawmaker.

State Rep. Derrick Shepherd said he filed the bill because he was tired of catching glimpses of boxer shorts and G-strings over the lowered belt lines of young adults.

The bill would punish anyone caught wearing low-riding pants with a fine of as much as $500 or as many as six months in jail, or both.

"I'm sick of seeing it," said Shepherd, a first-term legislator. "The community's outraged. And if parents can't do their job, if parents can't regulate what their children wear, then there should be a law."

The bill would be tacked onto the state's obscenity law, which restricts sexual activity in public places and the sale of sexually explicit items.

Joe Cook, head of the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites)'s Louisiana chapter, said the bill probably does not meet the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites)'s standard for the prohibition of obscene behavior under the First Amendment.

"What about a woman who is wearing a bathing suit under her garment or she has something like a sarong wrapped around her and it's below her waist," he said. "I can think of a lot of workers, plumbers, who are working and expose their buttocks ..."

___

Information from: The Times-Picayune, http://WWW.TIMESPICAYUNE.COM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry but although I agree that something needs to be done I just had to laugh at the last sentence about a lot of workers and plummers who are working and exposing their buttocks. :laugh: If hubby worked in Louisiana, some of the guys he works with would be thrown in jail along with my poor neighbor who has no tushy and has a hard time keeping them pants high up even when he wears a belt.:toothy:

I can just see the ACLU going after this one fighting for the rights of the Tushy disabled........ ROTFLMBO!!!!:toothy:

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL! :laugh: I just copied and pasted this article in an email to all three of my sisters~ three of us have been ganging up on the fourth one to get some pants that cover her!

I agree that I don't like to see what the pants expose, but I hardly think that our tax dollars need to be spent creating and enforcing a new law about them!

#3 ·
I am with you Debbie, I would rather see underwear than some big fellows butt hanging out! :laugh:

#4 ·
I just read this earlier too. lol I think making them banned is just asking for more butt exposure.

Back in Rochester, NY, women can go topless in public legally. hmmm

#7 ·
While I think it's really disgusting, if this is passed into law, where will it end? I mean the government will be regulating what people wear? What next? I don't mean to turn this into a debate since that's not where this belongs--just bringing up a different perspective :)

#8 ·
Not really worried about a tiny pinch of panty showing over the waist...What I question are the "New" hot pants...I certianly don't wanna see butt cheeks hang'n out da bottom. EEEEWWWWWW!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.