Books, books, books - questions, questions, questions
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Books, books, books - questions, questions, questions

Here are a few questions I thought would be interesting to find out about each other.

1. Does a cover of a book draw you to reading the book?

2. Do you read the same authors over again, even if their current book isn't as interesting as their previous books?

3. Will you continue to read a book to the finish if after the first few pages you can't get "into" the story?

4. Is it easy for you to relate to the characters in books?

5. Do you prefer fiction to non-fiction?

6. What type of book might you consider reading should someone recommend it, that you wouldn't normally read?

7. When reading a mystery, do you turn to the last pages to read BEFORE your finished reading the book?

8. Do you get emotional when reading books?

9. Do you get angry/upset with characters within specific books?

10. Have you ever gotten angry/upset with what an author as written in a book?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes - I tend to seek out authors I already know or that have been recommended. But an intriguing cover can make me check a book out.

2. Do you read the same authors over again, even if their current book isn't as interesting as their previous books?

Generally. But I found that Stephen King and some other authors just burned me out after awhile.

3. Will you continue to read a book to the finish if after the first few pages you can't get "into" the story?

Sometimes - if it is a favorite author. I just finished a series by Liz Curtis Higgs which was a retelling of the story of Jacob & Esau (Rachel & Leah) set in Ireland in the 1700s. I am not much for historical novels, so it took me a long time to get into it. But I stuck with it and now I love it. I have stopped a couple of books because I thought the plot was shallow.

Sometimes. I think every character taps some kind of emotion in me - especially in authors I really like.

I prefer fiction, but read biographies sometimes.

6. What type of book might you consider reading should someone recommend it, that you wouldn't normally read?

More historical novels.

7. When reading a mystery, do you turn to the last pages to read BEFORE your finished reading the book?

No.

Depends on the book. The series by Liz Curtis Higgs had me very emotional - angry. sad etc.

I do. I think if the author develops the characters and relationships then it is easy to feel the emotions.

Only once and it was a personal thing. I was reading a biography by Stephen Bogart - Humphrey Bogart's son. He was talking about when his Dad died and how he climbed a tree and said he knew God didn't exist. I know it is his belief but it put me off of reading the book.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sometimes, but I have to read the synopsis on the back of the book first

Yes, but like the previous poster I got really fed up reading stephen King and havnt bothered with any of his latest books.. I have several authors that I wait with anticipation for there next books. I think , once I find an autor I like I have to read everything they have done.

3. Will you continue to read a book to the finish if after the first few pages you can't get "into" the story?. sometimes, if I cant get into it I will put it down for a few weeks and then try again, if I cant get into it the second time I dont bother

4. Is it easy for you to relate to the characters in books?, yes, i get absorbed into a book and its world

5. Do you prefer fiction to non-fiction? fiction definatly, but I do occasionally read non fiction like biography, history and science

6. What type of book might you consider reading should someone recommend it, that you wouldn't normally read? I would consider reading a sci fi novel but its not really my cup of tea

7. When reading a mystery, do you turn to the last pages to read BEFORE your finished reading the book? ummm...yes

8. Do you get emotional when reading books? depending on the story-yes

yes

10. Have you ever gotten angry/upset with what an author as written in a book? yes very, the Dave Peltzer trilogy got me very upset and angry, at points I was crying while reading his story

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes -- but it's usually the author or the subject area that draws me in.

Heck, I read the same books over and over again! I feel they're old friends who need to be visited! (I'm a very fast reader, so I can indulge myself this way, fortunately!)

I will generally read everything by an author I love, but have no qualms about ditching a book if I decide I don't like it.

I'll give a book quite a chance, especially if it's well-written. I'll even read about subjects I'm not very interested in if the author is skillful. I have, however, quit reading books even when I'm 95% finished with the book. There's just soooo much I want to read that I'm happy to cut my losses.

Depends, depends.

Generally non-fiction, as I'm insatiably curious. I am quite loyal, however, to the fiction of my favorite authors, who include Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Chaim Potok.

I'll read anything, except of course racy novels.

Nope!

Highly, especially as I read a lot of non-fiction.

Nah.

Absolutely. Dan what's-his-name -Brien? Author of The Da Vinci Code, comes readily to mind. It is just so full of misinformation presented as fact that I think it's scandalous.

Cordially,
    Mary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, if I purchase a lot of my books at thrift stores or garage sales so if it has an interesting cover and the price is right I will definately purchase it. If I don't end up reading it, I have many friends that read and I usually pass it on to one of them.

Yes

No, I tend to put it down and then try to read it again at a later date.

Absolutely.

Fiction

Spy novels or James Bondish type novels

Never Never Never

Yes, I get completely involved when I read.

Yes

I have read books that the author provided such a poor ending to or left to many loose ends that I was angry at the end of the book. I usually will not read a second book by an author that does that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes...if the cover is dull, I might not ver pick it up off the shelf, but I usually choose most of my books by finding out about them in other ways first, then seeking thm out at the library.

Yes, I have a terrible habit of having to read a whole series, even if it is terrible. I'm really trying to stop doing this, as there are so many GOOD books out there.

Almost always. I may need to switch to another book and come back to it. See the above answer.

Depends on the character. Sometimes, though, yes, very much so.

I love them both equally, I was just thinking about this tonight. (I'm reading The Historian and something in it prompted this train of thought.)

That's a tough question, because I'll read just about anything. I'm not too fond of self-help, westerns, or romance novels. I guess maybe a Danielle Steele book- I would never normally read them, but I have read one or two that were recommended.

I have another really bad habit of doing this, but I never read the whole last page. I know this is going to sound really stupid, but when I can't fight this compulsion, I only allow myself to look at the last word. I do sometimes, though, flip quickly through the last chapters just to make sure certain charactes are still alive.

I get very wrapped up in some books and am sad when they end, so I guess that sometimes, yes.

See above. I have to be very emotionally invested, and there are some really great authors who can draw me in.

10. Have you ever gotten angry/upset with what an author has written in a book?

Ummm, can anyone say JK Rowling and her latest book?????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes, but I usually read the back or inside cover before I buy or borrow.

Yes I tend to do that because one bad book doesn't mean to say the rest will be the same.

No, I give it up if it doesn't grab my attention after a few pages.

Oh yes, I find myself doing that a lot.

Usually but I do like biographies and autobiographies too.

Well I'd have a go at more or less anything if someone recommended it.

No never, it would completely spoil it for me.

Yes often.

Yes I do! )

No I don't think so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Does a cover of a book draw you to reading the book? Sometimes, but I need to read the blurb to get a better idea of what the book is about.

2. Do you read the same authors over again, even if their current book isn't as interesting as their previous books? Yes, I have several authors I LOVE. Once in awhile, a new book will be a disappointment, but I keep going back!

3. Will you continue to read a book to the finish if after the first few pages you can't get "into" the story? I try it for a chapter or two. if it doesn''t work, back to the library it goes.

4. Is it easy for you to relate to the characters in books? Yes.

5. Do you prefer fiction to non-fiction? I read both--about 50-50.

6. What type of book might you consider reading should someone recommend it, that you wouldn't normally read? I don't have aclue, since I read everything!

7. When reading a mystery, do you turn to the last pages to read BEFORE your finished reading the book? No.

8. Do you get emotional when reading books? Yes.

9. Do you get angry/upset with characters within specific books? Yes. I really get involved and can relate to many characters.

10. Have you ever gotten angry/upset with what an author as written in a book? Yes, but new ideas are good. They make one think.