What do you think C.S. Lewis would say if he was alive today in regards to...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question What do you think C.S. Lewis would say if he was alive today in regards to...

All the hoopla that is going on in regards to the Chronicle of Naria movie, along with all the coloring books, toys, etc.

I'm not sure, however I think he wouldn't be all that happy about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He might not be pleased, but I think he would love to see kids reading his books as a result of the hoopla who might not otherwise get to know these treasures.

he put so much good into the series. Sharp observations about good and evil, about power and corruption and about how good must eventually triumph over even the worst circumstances.

About individual choice and how that changes our whole lives. choosing good and not evil but recognizing that even good people who choose to do good are not 100% good, that they too make mistakes and those are woven into the pattern of a life lived honestly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Margery. I think that the overall result is good if it gets kids interested in reading the books.

I wonder who holds the rights to his books. I would guess it must still be family as he hasn't been gone all that long.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The creators of this movie did a beautiful job of making this movie (and the storyline behind it) come alive. It is true to the book and true to the story of Christ. It is made in such a way that it tells the gospel through symolism, just as the book is meant to. I believe that if CS Lewis saw this huge number of people "experiencing the Gospel" he would be pleased.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

But I wonder if they "get it."

I haven't seen the movie. If you hadn't already read the book, would you have gotten the connection? Do you think kids would?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is every bit as moving as the book. Maybe more so.

If you know the story of how Christ died on the Cross then the connection is unmistakeable. For me, who does not cry in movies, it was very moving and brought tears to my eyes. When you see this great beast sacrificing his life to an evil woman, all for the sake of his kingdom, it is heartbreaking. It's just another way to see how Christ died so we could live.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw the movie several days ago and I did not make the religious connection. I knew that a lot of people had, but it did not "click" with me. Now that I look back on it in that light, I see how it could be connected.

The movie was wonderful wonderful wonderful --- I would go again. I have not read the books, but my son has and loves them.

I agree with Margery --- any device to encourage kids to read should please the author.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also want to say that if you are teaching your children the story of Christ, this is a great way for them to see the event in a way they can understand and without the all the blood that their little eyes just don't need to see yet.

There were some children in the theatre with us. I would say that the movie isn't for children under, maybe 7 years old. There are some quite scary creatures and tense parts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a kid I got the connection right away, but perhaps that was my background. My mother read the bible to us every night.

I loved a book by somebody Lindskoog, whose master's thesis was the book. It was called The Lion of Judah in Never Never Land and I think it was written in the 1970's when I bought it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another one I have is Not a Tame God by Mueller, and that is much more recent, written sometime in the 90's I think, but saying much of the same things Lindskoog said in her earlier book.

It's interesting to watch Lewis explore Christianity thru sci fi in his trilogy, Out of the Silent Planet, Voyage to Venus, and That Hideous Strength.

They are sci fi classics, written for adults but have wonderful themes running thru them as the Narnia classics do.