What book did you end up liking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What book did you end up liking

that you thought you'd hate?

Mine was "The Grapes of Wrath" by Steinbeck. My lit prof had this funny idea of making us read it over Thanksgiving. I had seen the movie in high school & was bored to tears, so I was NOT looking forward to reading this book at all.

I was very surprised that I ended up loving it. I liked the way he moved from stories happening across the country in general to the story of the Joads. My parents grew up during the Depression & while they were never poor enough to be Okies, they were still poor enough. The funniest scene in the book for me was the two little kids encountering flush toilets for the first time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought I would HATE The Scarlet Letter but ended up liking it quite a bit, same with The Time-Traveler's Wife.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi. I read it on the recommendation of a friend and thought that I would struggle through it since the subject matter was pretty heavy but I ended up loving it. It is an awesome book.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The first 1/3 of Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan really bored me. He went indepth about people believing in aliens and ufo's, and for me that's a total write-off. I don't need supporting evidence (or lack thereof) to not believe in aliens. The rest of the book, however, was tremendous. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I loved reading The Grapes of Wrath in highschool. It's parallels to the bible and to the social issues at that time are fascinating. Of course, it was my introduction to books which weren't to be taken simply at face value, so it was extra-exciting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"One Thousand White Women"--just read it for book club and I thought I would HATE it and it ended up being one of my favorite books ever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dracula by Bram Stoker. The first 30 pages or so were pretty boring but then it gets fascinating and gripping and thrilling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought i wouldnt like to kill a mocking bird but loved it that and grapes of wrath. Couldnt get into ernext hemmingway . way too depressing. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eat Pray Love......It was one of those books everyone was readin. I hardly ever get into the "Oprah" books! LOL!!! I love this book it is the best book I ever read!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Scarlet Letter, here too. I thought it would be another of those drab, dry historical novels. Boy, was I wrong!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Over the summer I picked up Thief of Time, one of Pratchett's Discworld books. I usually don't like fantasy, but laughed at the cover blurb line "how much time does a codfish need?" - or something like that and checked it out. I was in love with it by page 10, and I've since been devouring the Discworld books - there's a truckload of them. Most I like well enough, a few I didn't, and a few are some of the funniest things I've ever read. I've become a real Pratchett fan, joining a huge crowd who discovered him before I did. The only sad thing is that I'm running out of new ones.