2009 Self Sufficiency Challenge - Page 59
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 94956575859
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Suprise - FWIW - I put my "Kill a Watt" on my washer today. .24Kwh @ .18/Kwh= $.04 to wash a load of laundry (plus a 1/4cup cold water Tide).....Ok, ok - my water pump used another .11 Kwh and my sump pump, I'll guess, used less than that. I checked the watts a couple times while it was spinning/pumping ..about 450w. I put the meter on my propane gas dryer..ran the dryer for 50 minutes for .29Kwh. Have no way of figuring the propane use.

For the money, I wouldn't do what you're thinking of UNLESS I developed a steel solid determination that I needed the exercise and used the bike until it died, not rusted away.

I put the bike idea in the same class as 400 watt wind generators and portable photo-voltaic panels...they might have a place but not in my house....too expensive for what little they do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today, I: spent no money; collected eggs from the hens; heated the house with the wood stove.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had checked in to the wonderwash machine last year. From my research I found that it wouldn't do for us as you can only put a couple of pair of jeans and maybe a shirt in it. Very small capacity. I also didn't like the fact that they prefer you use hot water to help it seal better as hot water runs up the cost of the load. Some posts I read on the machine said their were leakage problems as well.We have been looking into possibly doing a science project to come up with another alternative that will do a regular size load and use cold water which is what we use anyway.

Our house uses 2 heat/air pumps but for the past 2 years we have been making do with only one and this has saved us quite a bit on utility costs. Have been researching wood stoves, solar, wind, etc. but so far haven't found anything really affordable. Will continue the search though. Have always love the idea of homesteading and have moved out of the city. Every year I threaten to get chickens maybe this will be the one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always like to check in to see what everyone is doing & you are all doing a lot!

I need the org binder ...I have one for my business papers & a separate org for bills to pay. I need to organize a lot of other papers & is not something I like to do.

I am getting a wringer washer this spring. I will be 3rd generation to use it, it is coming from my MIL & it belonged to her mother.

I've been getting a few lessons in goat keeping & have made a deal for two healthy yearling goats...girls of course!
    I still have a few months to get ready for them. they will come already bred.

The hens are laying much better now that we've had many days of sunshine so I've been able to share eggs & do some baking too.

I have some oatmeal dinner rolls raising now & making a homemade soup for dinner tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lparker View Post
    Suprise - FWIW - I put my "Kill a Watt" on my washer today. .24Kwh @ .18/Kwh= $.04 to wash a load of laundry (plus a 1/4cup cold water Tide).....Ok, ok - my water pump used another .11 Kwh and my sump pump, I'll guess, used less than that. I checked the watts a couple times while it was spinning/pumping ..about 450w. I put the meter on my propane gas dryer..ran the dryer for 50 minutes for .29Kwh. Have no way of figuring the propane use.

For the money, I wouldn't do what you're thinking of UNLESS I developed a steel solid determination that I needed the exercise and used the bike until it died, not rusted away.

I put the bike idea in the same class as 400 watt wind generators and portable photo-voltaic panels...they might have a place but not in my house....too expensive for what little they do.
    haha just noticed your post. Your right it wouldn't be worth it. Although I could use the exercise.

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 94956575859