Frugal Village Forums banner

2009 Self Sufficiency Challenge

46K views 875 replies 38 participants last post by  Suprise 
#1 ·
For 2009, I'd like to try, every day, to do one thing that advances my ability to rely on my own resources, rather than others, for my existence.

Not sure what I'll do each day. Some days might be as simple as collecting eggs from my chickens or produce from my trees. Some days might be learning a new skill or starting a new project. It should be a challenge to come up with something everday, but not, I think, an insurmountable one.

I'll post my results, and if anyone else cares to join me, I'd love to hear their projects (and possibly steal some of them to do myself!).

For those of you who joined me in this challenge in 2008, I hope I didn't lose any of you by moving this thread! And I hope you all keep posting your efforts! It has been inspiring!!

#3 · (Edited)
I'm joining. I'll be doing this on my own. DH is a city slicker in a lot of ways and isn't into this sort of thing at all. He thinks "self-sufficiency = having to do without and going back to the land = crisis thinking".

He doesn't realize it's this kind of thinking and doing that has increased our standard of living to where it is. He is convinced it's his pay increases that have made things better. Well, it's a combination of both. If I can find frugal ways to do things that make my life more enjoyable or healthier in the long run, I'm onto it!

Today I'm baking sourdough bread again. This stuff is addictive! DH sure isn't complaining about it! LOL I'm also sewing an apron for myself.

My personal goal at the moment is to save up for one of those Wonderwash machines. DH is not at all interested. But if I could even cut down the laundry by one load a week I'd be happy. I'd love to be able to use it to clean lingerie.

Carla Emery says in her book that those Wonderwash machines can also be used to churn butter!!!

Jean

#305 ·
I'm joining. I'll be doing this on my own. DH is a city slicker in a lot of ways and isn't into this sort of thing at all. He thinks "self-sufficiency = having to do without and going back to the land = crisis thinking".

He doesn't realize it's this kind of thinking and doing that has increased our standard of living to where it is. He is convinced it's his pay increases that have made things better. Well, it's a combination of both. If I can find frugal ways to do things that make my life more enjoyable or healthier in the long run, I'm onto it!

Today I'm baking sourdough bread again. This stuff is addictive! DH sure isn't complaining about it! LOL I'm also sewing an apron for myself.

My personal goal at the moment is to save up for one of those Wonderwash machines. DH is not at all interested. But if I could even cut down the laundry by one load a week I'd be happy. I'd love to be able to use it to clean lingerie.

Carla Emery says in her book that those Wonderwash machines can also be used to churn butter!!!

Jean
The Wonder Wash looks great Jean! I've seen them before, but thanks for reminding me. I think I'll save up for one too! :)

#4 · (Edited)
Jean- how does that wonderwash work? does it not take electricity?
very intriguing, esp if you could do laundry outside & drain the grey water onto the ground. I'm thinking you could also use water from a rain barrel! Have you seen one in actual use? I'm going to have to go check it out some more.

I'm hoping for more eggs in 09 as most of my laying hens just matured late fall & have begun laying, but infrequently because of th short days & lack of sunshine.

Looking forward to keeping up with you in 09 MadHen!

#7 · (Edited)
Jean- how does that wonderwash work? does it not take electricity?
very intriguing, esp if you could do laundry outside & drain the grey water onto the ground. I'm thinking you could also use water from a rain barrel! Have you seen one in actual use? I'm going to have to go check it out some more.
Nope! It's hand crank. I hear it's an easy crank. Only takes a few minutes. I've never seen one in real life. Just exposed to them on this board. I did a web search and came up with a lady who claimed it is very similar to what they use on their sailboat on extended voyages.

I'm thinking it might be ideal for apartment dwellers, and, as DH and I are thinking of downsizing, this might be a good idea to try. DD#2 claims it's costing her $10 a week to do laundry at her apartment. For $520/year, I can crank laundry a few minutes a week. ;)...especially as total cost including shipping is $85CAD.

Jean

#5 ·
I am definitely in on this one! I loved the 2008 version of it and madhen and many others inspire me so much to get things done. Looking forward to becoming more self-sufficent in 2009!!!!:wave:

#8 ·
Do you have a link on the internet to buy one that you could share with us?

#11 ·
The Wonderwash sounds interesting, but I don't like that it doesn't perform as well with cold water. Also, I'm curious about the capacity. The bulk of my laundry is towels and sheets. It might be nice to have around for hand-wash items, though.

#14 ·
Count me in as another urban homesteader. I'm always trying to become more self-sufficient by reading, learning, increasing and sharing skills.
For example, my dd26 went to the pharmacy for me earlier, I'm having a low energy patch. What can I give her in return? As most of my gardening things are handy in the porch, I directed her as she filled a seed raising tray with soil, then she planted up some cucumbers & radishes to take home in the the parcel tray of her pram.
Dgd4 has a few kentucky beans to plant when she gets home.
I think sharing skills & resources to be an important part of self-sufficiency.
Later in the week I will be teaching her how to make bread. bread prices have gone up so much, & suddenly, that she's realized it will be cheaper to make her own.
The Wonderwash- I've seen something similar in magazines. But some people when camping or starting the homestead life use another method. You place your laundry in a plastic rubbish bin with a clip on lid. Add 2 litres of warm water, a tablespoon of detergent, clip the lid on. Take turns giving it a good shake. The kids love to help! In cases of water shortage use a second bin for rinsing and re-use soapy water. Some people put a child in as the 'last wash' & roll it about. Great fun.

Reactions: aprilrain1024
#18 ·
Okay, this is what I'd like to learn in 2009:

• Learn to make pasta
• Change the oil in the car
• Change a tire on the car
• Pasta making
• Soapmaking
• Flax recipes (including crackers)
• Read "Country Living" for ideas.
• Buy and use a pressure canner.
• Making environmentally friendly cleansers
• Learn to make flavoured vinegars
• Learn to grind own grain.

I may have problems with some of this. It involves buying things like a pressure canner and a grain grinder. DH isn't keen on spending money on that kind of stuff. But if I can show him the improvement in quality of food, maybe he'll go for them.

We had a co-worker of his give us some freshly ground grain once. He loved it. His response was to buy different grains from the health food store. That gets a bit expensive. Plus it's not as fresh as home ground...sigh.

And the pressure canner would take the pressure off our smaller freezer now. We switched out for the smaller freezer, but we're still feeding 'kids' (mid-20's) every now and then. I'd like to make sure I have enough food to feed the family in an economic downturn. And I have lots of canning jars to fill...

Jean

#22 ·
Today, I:

• heated the house with the woodstove;
  • collected eggs from the hens;
  • put some items up for sale on eBay to declutter my life;
  • found a pair of mittens I wanted to knit, and that I actually already have yarn for;
  • got 4 DVD's free via Freecycle and also was promised some Freecycle items to be picked up tomorrow.

#27 ·
Today, I:

• collected 9 eggs from the hens;
  • spent no money;
  • cleaned up one of my smaller pens near the coop, which included chainsawing down three large manzanita shrubs that had fallen over last year;
  • collected the wood from said manzanitas (approx 1/3 cord) and hauled it all up the house;
  • replenished my indoor supply of wood by hauling about 1/3 of that wood up the stairs!

#28 ·
Seems like new ideas come all the time. I just finished sewing a couple of cloth hankies to try. I'm on my last box of facial tissue and wondering if I can do without. I don't like the amount of space it takes to store. It's also hard on my nose in winter. And I react to it...or whatever is in/on it. So let's see if this small step towards self-sufficiency will work.

Jean

#29 ·
Wow were did 2008 go?? i haven't been around for awhile so here is what we have done

tore down 400 feet of fence from free-cycle
got a portable cattle pen from free-cycle
tore down a 12x30 deck made of treated lumber from free-cycle
got a free feed shed(8x8 not real big) from my parents, i had to put a new roof on it and fix the door but now i can get the feed outta the house!!
hauled my billy goat to my parents house for a 30 day stop over... lol
have a bred nanny gonna pop any day now!
acquired an incubator to start hatching my own eggs
picked up another rabbit hutch brand new for $25!(they sell for $150!)
sold 4 rabbits that i no longer needed
sold 6 rabbit nesting boxes
sold 2 chicken nesting boxes
sold 2 guinea pigs
sold 2 goats
learned to butcher a rabbit
butchered a rabbit and made BBQ rabbit sandwiches
not sure of my last update on rabbits but now i have
1-California buck
1-champain de argent buck
1-champain de argent doe
1-new Zealand buck
5-new Zealand does
4-new Zealand babies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.