2009 Self Sufficiency Challenge
Page 1 of 59 12341151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2009 Self Sufficiency Challenge

For 2009, I'd like to try, every day, to do one thing that advances my ability to rely on my own resources, rather than others, for my existence.

Not sure what I'll do each day. Some days might be as simple as collecting eggs from my chickens or produce from my trees. Some days might be learning a new skill or starting a new project. It should be a challenge to come up with something everday, but not, I think, an insurmountable one.

I'll post my results, and if anyone else cares to join me, I'd love to hear their projects (and possibly steal some of them to do myself!).

For those of you who joined me in this challenge in 2008, I hope I didn't lose any of you by moving this thread! And I hope you all keep posting your efforts! It has been inspiring!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll be joining this thread. I'm hoping to become even more self-sufficient and God reliant in 2009. Dh is joining me as well because he feels we need to do this even more than we did in 08. As a family, we will be doing this together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm joining. I'll be doing this on my own. DH is a city slicker in a lot of ways and isn't into this sort of thing at all. He thinks "self-sufficiency = having to do without and going back to the land = crisis thinking".

He doesn't realize it's this kind of thinking and doing that has increased our standard of living to where it is. He is convinced it's his pay increases that have made things better. Well, it's a combination of both. If I can find frugal ways to do things that make my life more enjoyable or healthier in the long run, I'm onto it!

Today I'm baking sourdough bread again. This stuff is addictive! DH sure isn't complaining about it! LOL I'm also sewing an apron for myself.

My personal goal at the moment is to save up for one of those Wonderwash machines. DH is not at all interested. But if I could even cut down the laundry by one load a week I'd be happy. I'd love to be able to use it to clean lingerie.

Carla Emery says in [ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-Carla-Emery/dp/1570615535"]her book [/ame]that those Wonderwash machines can also be used to churn butter!!!

Jean
    Last edited by peanut; 12-27-2008 at 02:15 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jean- how does that wonderwash work? does it not take electricity?
    very intriguing, esp if you could do laundry outside & drain the grey water onto the ground. I'm thinking you could also use water from a rain barrel! Have you seen one in actual use? I'm going to have to go check it out some more.

I'm hoping for more eggs in 09 as most of my laying hens just matured late fall & have begun laying, but infrequently because of th short days & lack of sunshine.

Looking forward to keeping up with you in 09 MadHen!
    Last edited by redmaples; 12-27-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am definitely in on this one! I loved the 2008 version of it and madhen and many others inspire me so much to get things done. Looking forward to becoming more self-sufficent in 2009!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in on this one. Though I don't have chickens. I will be supporting some farmers that do. I feel better knowing that the money goes directly to them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmaples View Post
    Jean- how does that wonderwash work? does it not take electricity?
    very intriguing, esp if you could do laundry outside & drain the grey water onto the ground. I'm thinking you could also use water from a rain barrel! Have you seen one in actual use? I'm going to have to go check it out some more.
    Nope! It's hand crank. I hear it's an easy crank. Only takes a few minutes. I've never seen one in real life. Just exposed to them on this board. I did a web search and came up with a lady who claimed it is very similar to what they use on their sailboat on extended voyages.

I'm thinking it might be ideal for apartment dwellers, and, as DH and I are thinking of downsizing, this might be a good idea to try. DD#2 claims it's costing her $10 a week to do laundry at her apartment. For $520/year, I can crank laundry a few minutes a week. ...especially as total cost including shipping is $85CAD.

Jean
    Last edited by peanut; 12-27-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you have a link on the internet to buy one that you could share with us?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in as far as an urban homesteader can be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    Do you have a link on the internet to buy one that you could share with us?
    It was in my original post...the highlighted "Wonderwash".

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The Wonderwash sounds interesting, but I don't like that it doesn't perform as well with cold water. Also, I'm curious about the capacity. The bulk of my laundry is towels and sheets. It might be nice to have around for hand-wash items, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketlegs View Post
    I am in as far as an urban homesteader can be.

I'm an urban homesteader too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in as another urban homesteader. I'm always trying to become more self-sufficient by reading, learning, increasing and sharing skills.
    For example, my dd26 went to the pharmacy for me earlier, I'm having a low energy patch. What can I give her in return? As most of my gardening things are handy in the porch, I directed her as she filled a seed raising tray with soil, then she planted up some cucumbers & radishes to take home in the the parcel tray of her pram.
    Dgd4 has a few kentucky beans to plant when she gets home.
    I think sharing skills & resources to be an important part of self-sufficiency.
    Later in the week I will be teaching her how to make bread. bread prices have gone up so much, & suddenly, that she's realized it will be cheaper to make her own.
    The Wonderwash- I've seen something similar in magazines. But some people when camping or starting the homestead life use another method. You place your laundry in a plastic rubbish bin with a clip on lid. Add 2 litres of warm water, a tablespoon of detergent, clip the lid on. Take turns giving it a good shake. The kids love to help! In cases of water shortage use a second bin for rinsing and re-use soapy water. Some people put a child in as the 'last wash' & roll it about. Great fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 1/1/2009 - What did YOU do?

Today, I:

• baked eight mini-loaves of quick bread and froze seven of them for future meals;
    • heated my house with my woodstove;
    • inventoried my dry goods/canned stockpile;
    • composted!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jan. 1st

-I wanted more shelves in a cupboard that is upstairs. Dh went out to his shop and brought in a couple pieces of plywood that were leftover from a project he did years ago. I have shelving at no cost.
    -we composted

Page 1 of 59 12341151 ... LastLast