Judi's challenge...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Judi's challenge...

my biggest problem is that I'm not consistent enough. I have good reasons for it, I was abused as a kid and habits were used against me. So, you could say I was trained NOT to be consistent! Anyway, I'm 50+ and still fighting this!

So, this thread is to try and reward myself and monitor what I'm doing (and not).

Here are three things I do, not consistently, and I'd like to:

1 Wash dishes before going to bed
    2 Brush teeth right after dinner
    3 Make bed right after I get up

These get done, but not right away and not always. For example, last night, I didn't do the dishes, DH did them this a.m. when he made coffee. Before that, this week, I'd done them every night because I've been working on this. See what I mean?

I suppose I should also add:

4 Making a log of what I've done/not done on FV

or this will just peter out, like most of the other things I try and do. Don't get me wrong, I DO get things done, but it's haphazard and I realized a week or so ago that the root of almost all my bad habits is this, so THIS is what I have to change!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

4/3/09

1 dishes
    2 teeth
    3 bed
    4 post

btw, it takes 30 days to change your habits, so if I can do any of these 30 days in a row, I'm going to count them complete! Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Because I threw my back out making the bed 4 days ago, I'm not making the bed again until I'm sure I'm well, namely I'm not hurting. (That hasn't happened yet.)

So, an alternative occurred to me: I will sweep the front walk and steps every day instead.

Judi

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So you miss these things occasionally, and this is a problem why?You say you get things done. Is there anybody unhappy with this other than you? Maybe give yourself a bit of a break.I figure good enough is good enough!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    So you miss these things occasionally, and this is a problem why?
    Only because the whole point of the thing was to be CONSISTENT, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    You say you get things done. Is there anybody unhappy with this other than you? Maybe give yourself a bit of a break.I figure good enough is good enough!
    Good enough IS good enough, which is why I'm trying not to be obcessive about this: don't make the bed when it causes intense pain; that's dumb! But I want to find something else to do so that I don't lose my momentum AND I can still feel good about doing something regularly, even if it isn't making the bed.

Thanks for the comment!

Judi
    Last edited by Judi Dial; 04-28-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww shucks, don't feel bad if you aren't perfect on this. I'm not consistent on a lot of things and I wasn't abused as a child. I think it's just our human nature, we are not perfect. But I commend you on realizing you need work(so do I BTW) in this area and the determination to change. I wish you success and I'll be checking in and cheering you on.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree that good enough is good enough - think I learned it late in life. Also, I want to do some 'small' things too because it gives me a feeling of control in my life. It's interesting how we all react differently to things.

I love...
    my bed made in the morning
    clean sink in the morning
    vacuumed living room
    clothes put away after washing

.....and I'm working on all of those areas. Win some days and not others, but the winning days are getting stronger!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OK...I'm going to try this, AGAIN, sigh.

Tomorrow is Monday, June 1. We'll see if I can do this for the 30 days of June. The last day is DH's birthday, and he'd probably like the small piece of order that this would bring. Hopefully I won't throw my back out again.

Also, if I think of this as a small present for DH, I just might make it past my squeemishness and panic. Maybe.

Actually, I'll have to extend this to about the 3rd week in July, as I have a college writing seminar I'm going to mid June for two weeks and an sf convention the 2nd weekend in July....

We'll see!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Dial View Post
    OK...I'm going to try this, AGAIN, sigh.

Judi - if there's one thing I've learned in all my years it's that life and the process of living is never a straight line and always rolls ups and down. I don't see you as 'trying this again' - I see it as you're back on a roll. We all slip and slide all over the place - what counts is when we get focused and going again!!

Tomorrow is Monday, June 1. We'll see if I can do this for the 30 days of June. The last day is DH's birthday, and he'd probably like the small piece of order that this would bring. Hopefully I won't throw my back out again.

Also, if I think of this as a small present for DH, I just might make it past my squeemishness and panic. Maybe.

What if you don't make it for 30 days in a row? What if you're on for 10, off for 2, then hop back on - makes more sense to me. As a teacher, I sure don't expect my kids to change their behavior overnight - rather - show closer approximations of where we want them to go. Sure hope you'll be as kind to yourself as I am to my kids and am to you too!!

Actually, I'll have to extend this to about the 3rd week in July, as I have a college writing seminar I'm going to mid June for two weeks and an sf convention the 2nd weekend in July....

We'll see!

Judi
    Suggestion - make a big colorful X on each day of a calendar that you do what you want. Then at the end of the month, six weeks or whatever, take a good look at the Xs on the calendar - that's what you can be proud of. And every day does not have to be crossed off to be successful!!

Please let us know how you are doing!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Consistency has always been an issue for me too and I'm finding it very helpful to get involved in the challenges here at FV that relate to areas I want to improve. I'm having to remind myself that failure to meet some of my targets for the month does NOT mean I'm a failure....it just means that my progress is a little slower in some areas than I'd like and I should focus on continual improvement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, that idea flopped. What I'm going to try now is to just do 2 things: 1) maintain whatever is cleaned and 2)clean someplace new.

I've done this the past two days...let's see if I can keep it up for 28 more days!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I left a message for an auction house re selling some of the books in bulk, we'll see what they say.

Also made arrangements to meet with a colleague who may buy some.

Judi