Paleo?

Thread: Paleo?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Paleo?

I have learned through a TON of research that I can feel better if I eat paleo. So I am starting tomorrow... day after mother's day. Any other Paleo friends out there? Would LOVE to swap budget cutting idea's, recipes, etc.

I know I can do a TON of veggies which is good and I plan on keeping meats to a minimum - but I would LOVE some good recipes. I have an auto-immune and I know this will help!

**don't know what Paleo is? here's a great blog and no it's not mine http://www.thepaleomom.com/***

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just found this GREAT article on eating Paleo while being budget friendly:

3 January, 2011

We’ve heard it a million times – how can I afford to eat like this? (“Like this” meaning “Whole30” or a general Paleo diet.) We can’t argue the fact that it’s cheaper to eat a McDonald’s value meal than to craft your own healthy healthy dish by hand… but then again, diabetes medication is pretty expensive too. We’re not here to argue for all of the reasons you should eat better. If you’re reading our site, you already know that, and are trying to do something about it. We’re also not going to get on one of our favorite soapboxes, called, “You just spent $5 on a latte, and that’s not even food.” Ultimately, it all comes down to making healthy eating a top financial priority, but there are plenty of ways you can make your current food budget work a little harder.

Whole9′s Guide to the Gro-Sto

For those of you who are on a budget (all of us), and trying to eat better (all of you reading), let’s talk about some really specific strategies for making your healthy eating dollar stretch just a bit further. No, we’re not just going to say, “Buy on sale, buy in bulk!” We’re about to walk you through our specific grocery store strategy – what we do, step by step, every time we hit the Whole Foods, Liberty Heights market or our local downtown Farmer’s Market. Because while we make food our top financial priority, right behind rent and electricity… we aren’t made of money either, and need to make our Paleo pennies work as hard as possible. One caveat, however. If you are truly committed to eating as healthy as possible, you may have to sacrifice some of your selfish food desires. I may want grapes in March, but at $8 a pound (and coming all the way from Chile), I just can’t afford them. The same goes for any of your food choices – we’re going to encourage you to buy for quality first and foremost, even if you have to compromise on taste and preference

paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

very interesting..will check back in with this..I believe the additives in food cause so many illnesses...probably more than we know about...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do it. We just started recently and sometimes we end up cheating a little bit.....but for the most part we find it be pretty easy and not too expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today is my 1st full day of Paleo....

Breakfast:

Ham and an avocado

Lunch

Salad w/ lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, pumpkin seeds - dressing simple balsamic vinegar

Dinner:

Red pepper - tomato soup

hum doesn't seem like a lot of food... if I am hungry I will post any snack later

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlissMommy View Post
    We do it. We just started recently and sometimes we end up cheating a little bit.....but for the most part we find it be pretty easy and not too expensive.
    Maybe you could share some of your menu's???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We also eat paleo style for the most part. We are not whole hog though with all organics and grass fed. My 16 year old still likes his granola bars and bread so he still has his goodies around the "base" menu.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I posted this recipe in the vegetarian section. Guess with all the upgrades something got lost. Anyway it actually is pretty good. But I would recommend using the florida avocado instead of the haas. Haas has more of an avocado flavor.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse with Walnut Crust | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tend to eat more this way and am trying to add more raw foods into diet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    I posted this recipe in the vegetarian section. Guess with all the upgrades something got lost. Anyway it actually is pretty good. But I would recommend using the florida avocado instead of the haas. Haas has more of an avocado flavor.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse with Walnut Crust | Paleo Diet Lifestyle
    Good? I thought it was delicious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you like the recipe nodmicks. It really does feel like you are eating something decadent especially if you dip sliced bananas or strawberries in it. To help boost the chocolate flavor I add a half teaspoon of chocolate extract to it.

Think eating more paleo has actually helped my cholesterol levels. Grant it I try to eat fish three times a week but last week went in for a blood test and cholesterol was one of the tests. Scored a 190 and that is after eating some sausage and bacon about 20 minutes before the blood work was drawn. Usually at the weight I am at now the cholesterol is really high and the doctor starts talking about putting me on medication. All the other cholesterol numbers were good. Will be interested to see if the number will be lower next time I get tested. Just need to remember not to eat anything before the blood work.