Frugal Challenge 2.0!
Page 1 of 35 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal Challenge 2.0!

Since the other Frugal Challenge mysteriously disappeared, here ya go. A new one.

So, what did you do today that was frugal? Me? Not a darned thing, it was a spend day here, but we need this thread so y'all can inspire me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used a pork roast bone and leftover veggies to make soup. Waiting for the sleet to start. Read a little, watched a Christmas movie, and worked on a needlepoint picture.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you Zohen!!

This past week was pretty frugal.
    Friday I did pay $3 for a piece of breakfast pizza, we all chip in at work sometimes it is very good.

Other than that all my meals were from home
    I grocery shopped Wednesday night for the holiday to avoid the crowds

Saturday I had a hair cut and combined many errands along the way
    Did buy some books at books a million with a coupon including a book that went to a needy child. The books I bought for myself I can turn around and sell at a local book store for cash or credit.

Came home and stayed home the rest of the day

Today I stayed home all day
    All meals from home
    window shopped on line for xmas gifts didn't buy

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you Zhoen!!

* Today on YouTube we watched Tales From the Valley.
    * All meals at home.
    * I cooked the BF and I our Thanksgiving day meal today. Afterwards I deconstructed the turkey and saved the bones for soup.
    * no drive
    * packed tomorrows lunch
    * laundry in cold water
    * hug my jeans and undergarments to dry, rest went into the drier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Visited parents after church and watched the Packer/Viking game. The game ended in a tie, didn't know that it was possible to end a game that way. Learned something new and free entertainment.
    Had planned to grocery shop, but we decided to put it off another day,nothing necessary on the list yet. Working on grocery list for upcoming parties to hopefully get ingredients on sale. Ate at home.
    DH and I were invited with friends for a 4 day get away, decided instead to take a respite home care job for that week. Saving gas and money, and making money. I may save the 2 vacation days I was going to use also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Didn't spend any money all weekend
    Learned how to butcher a deer and use a meat grinder. Ended up with A LOT of meat so we will be set for quite a while in that department.
    Will make up a grocery list over the next couple of days and hit the grocery store late Wednesday night. Not looking forward to it but it is the only day I can go. I want the turkeys that are on sale.
    Been eating all leftovers.
    Heat at 60 degrees
    All lights off when not needed and powerstrips off
    Drinking water instead of pop or juice

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH cut my hair Saturday; last night was fried potatoes for DH (per his request) and I had a leftover chicken, bean & cheese HM burrito. Prepped a crockpot pot roast last night for tonight's supper. Peeled/chopped potatoes, carrots & onions, used left over chicken broth, various spices & an on-sale shoulder roast from the freezer. This morning I put it all in the oval crockpot and asked Dad to turn it on about 10 a.m. so that it will be ready for tonight. Today will be our Thanksgiving lunch at work furnished by our company.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing yet for today but yesterday we were at the lake house and instead of going out to eat we went to Aldi instead and spent $20 on what will end up being a few meals. We also used free coffee coupons for our stop on our way home. I will be washing a few loads in cold water today and making more baby food for the week too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We watched the Vikings/Packers game too. The Vikings sucked as usual, but since the Pack couldn't beat them, they sucked too. :p

I worked on the AeroGarden yesterday and got the new sockets installed. Rewired the whole thing. Put in the bulbs. Plugged it in. All three bulbs lit up nice and bright. Yea! Finished the rewiring. Put the hood back together. Plugged it in to make sure it worked before reattaching it to the AG base. NOTHING! I'm still steamed. I think I know what the problem is though. Hopefully I'll get it fixed once and for all this week sometime.

I picked up a round rack at GW Saturday for fifty cents. I'll be modifying that into a roasting rack for one of our Cobb grills. I've wanted the one Cobb makes for years, but refused to pay $45 for it including shipping. Now Cobb is out of business in the US so it's not looking good to ever get one at any price, which leaves me with the option to DIY one. This rack is a bit smaller then I would like but I think it'll work fine in the Cobb we have in our camper. So I'm happy about that.

I also picked up two more AquaGloves for $3, and a cookbook I've been looking for to send to my diet buddy for $2.

We bought a door for our cabin, which will be installed between two rooms so we don't have to heat the second room anymore. That will make my office much warmer and save a lot of money on propane. The door was on sale plus has a $20 rebate for in-store merchandise. Too bad it's not cash but it's better than nothing. If nothing else, I'll buy light bulbs for the new AG set-up once I get it to work.

Also picked up 600 pounds of deer corn saving about $5/bag over what it would have cost locally, so that more than covered the price of the gas to get there.

Bought bulk herbs and spices and yeast saving a ton over the cost of little bottles in the grocery stores.

Picked up some specials at the big grocery store, but don't think we saved much over the local prices.

Hopefully the installation of the door will go smoothly this weekend. I also saved money by finding a lockset we had changed out on another door, so we didn't have to buy one for the new door. Money saved, less clutter, win-win.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer,
    I've been following your AeroGarden posts with interest. Do you use the liquid nutrients that they sell or make your own? Fish emulsion, kelp or something similar? I use fish emulsion as an organic fertilizer supplement in my outside container gardens and suppose it would work well in hydroponics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

AquaGloves should read AquaGlobes above. They're for watering plants.

I use AG's liquid nutes. They seem to work well and they don't stink. They're also organic. It's just simpler. AG has partnered with Miracle Grow recently, so MG is now supplying the nutes. I'm thinking that'll probably be a good thing.

I can't believe I'm having so much trouble with the broken AG. But the fact it's not working now that I've pulled the circuit board out of it makes me hopeful that if I replace the two fuses yet again, maybe the circuit board will work again. That would be nice so I wouldn't have to use a separate timer. I know my connections are good, but I reused the jack that connects the base and the hood and without the circuit board now, I've eliminated every other possibility for a problem. I'm pretty sure that jack is the problem, so if I just permanently wire the base and hood together maybe the whole works will work again. We'll see what happens. Otherwise, I know if I just take out that jack, all should be well even if I can't use the circuit board. One way or another, I'll get the darn thing fixed. I'm NOT interested in spending $200 or more on a replacement!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1/2 hour extra paid work today.
    Thermostat at 64F, family getting used to it.
    I was just thinking how we eat much more chicken now and cheaper cuts of meat and meatless meals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

- Saved the leftover pizza and froze it for a future meal
    - Since I have been out f oatmeal and am trying to wait to hit the grocery store later this week, I have been eating frozen breakfast enchiladas I made a while back and had froze the extra
    - I have been bringing my coffee to work in a thermos
    - Found some coffee left over in the camping stuff over the weekend....I mixed it with the fresh so I could use it up without anyone noticing that it wasn't fresh
    - Ds needs headphones so I picked up a cheaper set today for his Christmas stocking
    - Ds and gf need sheets for Christmas but I just picked up a fitted sheet as the never use the flat and I can make them a set of pillowcases to match.....saved $$$
    - Heat still set at 60 and using my homemade rice bag to warm the bed....also add the extra quilt at the foot of the bed at night for added warmth
    - Used up some lettuce and tomatoes that were on their last legs for a small salad to add with dinner tonight
    - lights off, no tv used today
    - drinking tea and playing on FV for entertainment

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If a moderator reads this could you pin it please?
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

- Took leftovers to work for lunch but one of the groups at work had lunch catered in and invited my group. I are their food and will save mine for tomorrow.
    - drank free coffee at work and snacked on carrots I brought from home.
    - dropped the car off today to get the body work on the car fixed. That will cost $600. Better to get it fixed now than after the salt gets in the door and rusts it.
    - bf bought us Chinese for supper at the grocery store. I love the hot fresh Chinese food at hyvee.

Page 1 of 35 123411 ... LastLast