who has given up internet on their cell phones????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default who has given up internet on their cell phones????

I am considering giving up my smart phone, savings $45 a month. I only really need a phone to use for emergencies, and my kids contacting me. So the ability to just be able to text and make phone calls, is looking appealing to me. Has anyone ever given this feature up on the phone?? i believe I will have to get a new phone in order to do this. I don't think I can use my smartphone w/o internet? Does anyone have opinions on this?/ Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I could go back to a regular cell. But as I learn more and more about my IPhone, the less I will want to give it. It's great to have internet access while you are not home but if you are home a lot, couldn't use you computer instead

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have never had internet on our phones. We have basic wifi and share 1 iPad between us for internet access. For us it works perfect! Hubby does have his computer at work so not much interest in being on a computer when he gets home. I am home all day so no need to have more than a basic cell phone. We live pretty simply though and are not into electronics at all. With you being home now and money being tight it might be the time to try it! One thing I can tell you....a basic unlocked cell phone is so much cheaper on ebay or amazon and no 2 year contract or activation fee.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We never had the internet until the "kids" started paying for their own. DD saved the cost of hers by using download coupons for Joannes and that.
    I haven't even had a cell for 1 1/2 years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My friend downsized to a regular cell vs smartphone for the purpose of cutting costs and saving a bit of money. While she loves the savings she does not love being without her smartphone.

DH has a regular cell and I have a smartphone. If money were tight I'd let it go but only after I cut other things as far down as possible. DH and I have always said if things got bad the last two things to go would be Direct TV (that is his thing) and my iPhone. I pay an extra 30.00 a month for my unlimited data and financially we are in good shape so I see no need to let it go.

We are retired so we do a lot of little road trips and I use it to look up phone numbers, restaurants in the area we're going to etc. I can do some of that at home but we have a tendency to hit the road and then decide "oh hey, let's zip over to X as we haven't been there in ages...is it open??" LOL! I fire up the iPhone and find out. So for us I can justify it but if I was wanting to cut back I'd give it a hard look.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is very much a lifestyle choice. For most people phone internet is a convenience not a necessity. I need it for work, but I think my case is not common.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I don't want the internet on my smart phone, can I just tell them to stop it, or do I have to buy a new flip phone, for just calls and texting. I don't have the funds now for a new phone, and I refuse to do another contract.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What about calling the phone company and asking them? And my own phone is a dumpphone (which is way handier than my dump smartphone of work) which has an equivalent system of tracphone. Cost of my phone was less than 30 Euros, so less than 40 USD. Which would be less than one month of data.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, I am looking into doing this right now.

In my findings, NO, you can not use a smart phone without internet in your service. This doesn't mean it's not possible, only that I haven't found a company that does it.

Our contract with the cell company is finally up. I almost never use my cell phone. It's for texting with hubby, my brother, and sometimes my BF, as well as allowing the school to contact me about the kids if I'm out and about. But I'm usually home, so what's the point of the internet? I'm trying to figure out what dumbphone I might use with Straight Talk. I have an old one, but it's not compatible. Digging it out made me realize how much I miss the simplicity of it. I've been using an old 3G blackberry I really can't stand and barely know how to use. Time for a change!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter gave us her old smart phone and set us up an account with AT&T GoPhone (pay as you go). It is unlimited calls and texting (including sending pictures) but no data. So no internet unless we are home or connected to wifi somewhere else. Works for us. $32.48 including tax per month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How old are your children?

We use texting and messaging on our phones all the time mostly because DD's school and activities send "Remind 101" messages and alerts that way (there are other apps like it but that is the one used most often in our area.) For instance, if she was in softball and a game was canceled at the last moment or the field was changed, the coach would send out a Remind 101 message to everyone's phone. You might be surprised how often we get these kinds of messages - every single day when school is in session. Many teachers will send out homework reminders daily, too.

If you really don't use the smart features, I understand. I'm just saying that might change if your kids are still in elementary school or as they get older.

I believe there was a recent lawsuit against Apple to force them to not require the expensive internet data plan with their iphones. Not only was the iphone data plan more expensive but the phone wouldn't work without it. I think the lawsuit forced them to allow iphones to be "dumb" phones now. As for going "dumb" in general, we're finding most cell phones have horrible talk quality now and the reception / coverage area on dumb phones is horrid. Our coverage is already bad. We can't risk making it worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back in April, I made decision to get a android/ smart phone from Walmart , and use straight talk plan.
    I kept my old tracfone which is about 6 yrs old. So I had two phones. Well I managed to misplace my
    old cell and since I had over 300 minutes on it, I decided to replace it with a new tracfone that cost me $ 20.
    Well I am not using the android to it's fullest use, and $ 45 a month is just too much money for this budget.
    So plan is to shut it off in about 6 more days. Well a couple of days ago, I found my oldest tracfone, get it
    charged back up, and am going to use it again with my first cell number.
    My second tracfone, I am going to use my cell number from the android.
    I am understanding, I can use the android without a phone number attached to it, as a mini computer.
    So if I am near a WI FI, I should be able to connect to the internet.
    I get online through a desktop computer which is a DSL connection, on my land line home phone.
    So if android works as a mini computer, fine. If not, I am still okay and my budget will be happier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a cell phone at all, and don't want one. I hate yacking on the phone, so my land line is just fine, and when the power is out my phone still works.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dumb phone is officially on its way, and a case has been ordered off of eBay. We splurged and spent a whole $5 for me to get a brand new one instead of the same model, reconditioned, for free. I am bracing myself to hate the camera, but otherwise, I'm rather looking forward to it. We'll save about $65 a month by switching service providers and cutting me back to a dumb phone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It IS possible to use a smartphone and not have the internet on it. You have to request a "voice only" plan or specify you DON'T want a "data plan" for your phone. Smartphones CAN do this (and you'd still be able to use free wifi when you're at places that offer it) but your provider won't volunteer that information.

I upgraded to a smartphone for a sidegig (I needed the ability to check for business emails when out of the office) and kept it when I was promoted at my main job (I have access to flight information - loads, passenger lists, crew names - that I need when preparing my paperwork). I technically COULD go without a smartphone now but it means that I'd have to contact 2-3 departments each time I prepare for a flight...with up to 5 flights a day and limited time, the smartphone made my life much easier. I don't like how its changed our society though and often don't carry my phone with me when I'm not at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast