2016 Homesteading Skill A Month Challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2016 Homesteading Skill A Month Challenge

To quote Raiquee, "
    A place where we can all learn skills together! They don't need to be new, you can expand on what you do. Any form of homesteading is welcome! crafts, sewing, cooking, gardening, livestock, etc.

Photos welcome, bragging welcome!".
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to be trying out different homemade bread recipes this year. I am determined to find one my husband will like as well or better than the store-bought bread and that he won't complain about eating!

Other homesteading skills I plan to work on: bettering my garden this year (I learned a LOT this past summer about what NOT to do!), cook more at home, focus more on crafts I can make for Christmas and other gift-giving occasions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thing I learned here on FV that makes bread crust softer is to let the bread cool no more than about five minutes, then put it in a plastic bag and close the bag up so it steams. Another thing if you don't like crisp crusts, then don't bake bread in or on cast iron. Cast iron will crisp things up which is great for some dishes, but we personally don't like it for bread.

Check out the FV bread recipe section for recipes others here have tried and found to work well for them. Baking Breads

You mentioned bread but not buns. However, I found this recipe here at FV years ago and it makes really good, tender buns for sandwiches. https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...d-machine.html

I still consider the FV cookbooks one of the best resources on the web for homemade foods of all kinds. If you don't like the recipes I linked to, I bet there's another recipe somewhere on the cookbook boards that would work for you. Let us know what you find!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Spirit Deer;4112261578]One thing I learned here on FV that makes bread crust softer is to let the bread cool no more than about five minutes, then put it in a plastic bag and close the bag up so it steams. Another thing if you don't like crisp crusts, then don't bake bread in or on cast iron. Cast iron will crisp things up which is great for some dishes, but we personally don't like it for bread.

Check out the FV bread recipe section for recipes others here have tried and found to work well for them. [url=https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/baking

Thanks for the bread tip I would never thought of that...I just butter the top and sides of and it stays soft.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used to smear the tops of breads and buns with bacon grease when I was a kid. Is it any wonder I was a fat kid and now I'm a fat adult? LOL. The bread was sure good though. I don't add anything to the tops now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We used to smear the tops of breads and buns with bacon grease when I was a kid. Is it any wonder I was a fat kid and now I'm a fat adult? LOL. The bread was sure good though. I don't add anything to the tops now.
    LOl..yummmmm bacon grease..although I'm not sure if I would want it on my breads.

I was heavy as a child ( my dad was a very violent man to my mother and brothers and I think I used food to comfort me) and have been heavy most of my life except for 10 years that I was a size 5 (135lbs) which I have no idea how because I use to eat more during that time frame then I do now 60 lbs heavier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The bread didn't taste real bacon-y. It just made the crust soft. We used to save bacon grease in a can on the stove that had a little brush in it and used it for frying potatoes and eggs and all kinds of stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Spirit Deer;4112262042]The bread didn't taste real bacon

I will have try this as I always have bacon grease in my fridge..

Since I cook with mostly cast iron so I always use the bacon grease to coat the pan before I cook in it and coat/ season it after cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used bacon grease and lots of cast iron back then, too. But we don't eat too much bacon anymore. Darn! My dad ate fried eggs and fried potatoes every single day for lunch, and it was always cooked in bacon grease. Of course he died at 52.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had planned to expand the garden this year...will see as my health isn't good right now so not sure if I will be able to play in my play ground or expand it oat this point.

My boy's all chipped in for my Christmas present and bought me 6-Earthboxes (complete kit including the soil )...this adding in another Earthbox that I bought last year still in it's box (at 1/2 price plus free shipping) but doesn't have the soil will end up being a whole another garden for me even if I'm unable to get my garden expanded.. My oldest will plant the plants for me in the earthboxes if I'm unable..but I don't want to ask him to plant in the many raised beds I have.

I had ordered 4-more matured Blueberry Bushes that will be delivered in the end of May.

Bought my son and for myself a Sewing Machine so we will learn together excited over this!

Registered User Back2Basicsforme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like to try this challenge too! Although I have very little time to do much of anything. I would like to learn a new homesteading skill maybe each month. So I am going to take it real easy for the month of january, and cut the amount of waste in my home. Food waste, soap, electricity, heat, etc. This would be important to learn to make do with what I have just incase in the future there is a reason why things wouldn't be so easily accessible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    I had planned to expand the garden this year...will see as my health isn't good right now so not sure if I will be able to play in my play ground or expand it oat this point.

My boy's all chipped in for my Christmas present and bought me 6-Earthboxes (complete kit including the soil )...this adding in another Earthbox that I bought last year still in it's box (at 1/2 price plus free shipping) but doesn't have the soil will end up being a whole another garden for me even if I'm unable to get my garden expanded.. My oldest will plant the plants for me in the earthboxes if I'm unable..but I don't want to ask him to plant in the many raised beds I have.

I had ordered 4-more matured Blueberry Bushes that will be delivered in the end of May.

Bought my son and for myself a Sewing Machine so we will learn together excited over this!

Sorry, I'm not thinking right thanks to a bad headache and didn't mean to post here..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll respond here anyway, Brenda. If you need any advice or info about sewing, let me know. I don't know everything but I've had a lot of experience in many different areas and sewed professionally doing contract work for a bootmaker.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    You mentioned bread but not buns. However, I found this recipe here at FV years ago and it makes really good, tender buns for sandwiches. https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...d-machine.html
    I think that's the same recipe I've used from Taste of Home. They're very tasty!
    I'm going to make some of those and freeze them - after I go to the grocery store and get bread flour, WW flour and yeast.
    The bread I normally buy seems to be inconsistent lately. Sometimes it's soft and smooth, other time is drier with lots of holes.
    Not only are these buns great for sandwiches, they are absolutely fantastic buttered and toasted and smeared with your favorite jam or jelly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, yeah, and very tasty with honey and butter, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast