2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 100
Page 100 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5090979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1614
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also don't understand why people do not send thank you notes much anymore. I think it's one of those things if you've never been taught to do it, you don't.

Went out to dinner last night with friends, the place we went to was packed. Good food, good friends, had a nice time. The car was smelling like gas and dh looked at it this morning, one of the lines had a hole where it had rusted through. Not safe to drive so now have to look into getting it towed to have it fixed. Not what we needed right now. Going to meet a potential adopter for foster dog today, crossing my fingers since she's fearful of people and won't show well. Hope they understand this type of dog. Supposed to be in the 40's today and tomorrow so a welcome warmer spell although it's supposed to start raining tonight and all day tomorrow. At least it's not snow.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're right Rabbit, kids aren't taught to send thank yous any more. Hard to even get a verbal one out of some people. I have stopped sending gifts to those who don't respond. I don't need a gift in return, a simple acknowledgement that it was received would be fine.

Yes, Bookworm, I have had rheumatic disease for ~30 years now. Longer than some of my doctors have been at practice. You are right about people having no idea. You can look perfectly healthy on the outside and be shoveling snow or playing sports one day and then be unable to stand or think straight another day while your body is being eaten away at on the inside. And always, always, the pain, fatigue or brain fog. Good for you for getting out of the wheelchair, that is a fabulous accomplishment.

IMO it is worse than cancer in some ways because there is no cure, no Hope, no public support, barely any awareness of what a crippling disease it is. Yes, my husband is still working too because we could not afford the thousands of dollars per treatment otherwise. And of course, we try to put away as much as possible for retirement.

Anyway....

Cloudy and grey today but supposed to be dry. Warming up a little and then supposed to get a cold front overnight, but they think the snow will stay north of us. Last day for fall yard work.

Going to my dance class party this afternoon. Going to try not to eat too many sweets. DH made a double batch of dill dip and I will make a bread bowl for it. Got 2 loaves, we have a dinner party this evening and are taking the same thing to that. Will add some baby carrots and radishes for color and those who like veggies.

We put the tree up last night. It is a very small one. I put cards up on the dividing wall between the kitchen and living room. That is all the decorating this year. Just don't feel like getting it all out and putting it away again. Nobody is visiting. Going to change out the small orange display quilt for a winter/christmas one. That's it.

Not cooking today because of the parties. There will be plenty to eat.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worked in the yard about 90 minutes - still bagging leaves. We are at the bottom of a hill so everything the neighbors do not rake ends up in our yard. Repeatedly. Taking dog for a nose-work evaluation session. I think he would be Ok in a group class, cheaper option than private lessons. I am not one for competitions but these people teach it as a fun activity that helps even problem dogs.
    I have decided since hubby has so much free time for watching TV that he can be the one planning the groceries and meals until I stop working in mid-January. We'll see how that goes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I can't imagine living with it. dh lives with something similar but not as bad now since his back fused up. I remember it is one of the diseases they say people don't donate or think of it because it isn't popular anymore that they were going to change the name to make it more brand sexy as it were ..not my words!

I make my kids say thank you in person or otherwise. yes it is a lost art but though younger kids think you don't have to anymore..mmm they won't be able to complain later in life. dh cousin had a baby..he got a thank you in the comments of some post not relating to it at all.and it was tell her I said.. I like fruitcake too. cookie matchup show did fruitcake cookies. reminded me of hermit cookies.

dh and the kids got outside lights and inflatables etc done. I put somethings up in the house and put the fall and halloween decor away. got out more xmas stuff too. amazing doesn't look as much once out compared to the tubs they were in. ended up getting takeout pizza today and dh and ds did the libraries. watched xman dark phoenix from library not good. scary tales to tell in the dark was way better. dh is off tomorrow.

watched a couple hallmark movies , skipped though a few..some I tape because I don't remember them but cleared the pvr a bit. cus so many more to tape and good ones! dolly parton in one tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going to meet the new tenant today to initial the lease and hand over the keys. He's a grad student and we've had luck with grad students so hopefully, it will work out.

I bought more meatballs and cooked a bag out so I had dinner for a few days. DH made frozen pierogies.

My aunt has RA. She's in a wheelchair and has been for many years. She had bilateral knee surgery and couldn't handle the pain from that. She asked the surgeon why he had to operate on both at the same time. Why didn't he do one at a time? His answer: because you wouldn't want the second one done after the first! I'll never know if she truly needed those operations as she hasn't walked in about 20 years. Her hands are severely bent and I remember her fraternal twin having the same hands....But not RA.

We're still waiting for the house appraisal report. It's been nearly 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a lot of shopping done yesterday. Suppose to be 72 today, then start raining and possibly snow. Only in Texas. Got a roast to put in the crockpot. Got to run a few errands this morning, so not going to the soup kitchen. Need to fill the fireplace and get ready for tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks like it is raining or snowing in a lot of places today. Dry here but grey and windy and getting colder. We may get the tail end of a snowstorm and see a few flakes later.

DH has vacation days to use up so he is home today. We have no plans. Will likely putter around doing small chores and odd jobs as it suits us.

Spaghetti carbonara w/bacon and broccoli for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prayers to all those here who are suffering.
    I have a party tomorrow nite which is a craft exchange....I don't do crafts so making cocoa mix and cookies....and here I sit instead of getting to it...
    We don't do a tree anymore...no one comes over and it's a pain to put up and take down....I will put my nativities up but that is about it....
    Kudos to the parents who have taught their children to send thank you notes....I feel if I take the time to get you a gift, spend my money on it, the least you can do is send a thank you either via mail, email, fb, or in person. Nothing irks me more to send a gift in the mail and hear nothing....I sit and wonder if they got it or not....Sent my step grandchildren Christmas gifts for many years and would never hear a word....finally I said NO MORE and stopped....I never saw or heard from them much but when I stopped that was the end....haven't heard or seen them since.....and wasn't invited to wedding....told my husband it was ok since then I didn't have to buy a wedding gift and I didn't!!

Suppose to get cold tomorrow....not happy about this....don't do well in cold weather....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exciting day so far. Got some dishes washed. Piled up stuff to go downstairs. Got one small christmas package together, packed up and ready to go to the PO. The wind has brought colder air, been watching the temp drop. Sun came out, which is nice. Going to have something for lunch and then work on pillow cases for gifts. I will get thank yous from the girls these are going to.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, RA is such a horrible disease, 30 years is a long time to be dealing with such chronic pain. ~hugs~

Martha, when I read your posts I always am amazed at all you do in a day!

Another grey day here, what a shock! Ugh. Had to stop at Kohls on the way home from work, I had a $15 coupon after buying a Christmas gift for my mom and the last day to use it was today. Also came with a 25% off. Just ended up using it for a 3 pk. of underwear, exciting. I'm making a spaghetti squash casserole for dinner. Oh, almost forgot, foster dog has found a home! The woman who met her yesterday feel in love with her so adoption is pending on a home check. I don't see a problem there so she will probably be in her new home next weekend. She is a much different dog then I took in 4 months ago. Happy that she will have a family for Christmas.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit good news for the foster dog. I got ANOTHER $5 Kohl's coupon in the mail. Need to think of something useful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I woke up feeling terrible. Think I have a sinus infection, but I don’t have time for a doctor. Going for my mammogram this morning, dropping off two baby blankets at a place that helps unwed mothers,stopping at Kroger, and then making a casserole to take to an ornament swap tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

grammerbug hope you feel better soon. lol rabbit I sat on my bum most of the day. dh and kids did more work. I directed more. I have to take advantage of dh at home. we aren't used to having weekends to ourselves since we didn't for years. I tend to do things in spurts. fill a bag of fall stuff. get one of the kids to take it downstairs and then a week later or so put it away. I am the queen of do it in 15 mins or between commercials. clutter is all over. I just keep up on things so it every takes a long time. trust me not much gets done outside housework here. like decades for painting etc. xmas tree still needs doing but not sure where i am putting it at the moment.

got picked by scout for cream pie in face. hit me hard so nose still hurts. will get him back w water balloons in the spring. I am the one who expects the kids to behave and have eyes on the back of my head. seems here that telling your kids no is not a thing anymore. like they don't have to in school and daycare.. you know kids if they can get away with it they will.

dh cousin passed away young a few days ago at 63. found out no service. he got sick w cancer at the same age as dh is now. never got to enjoy his grandbabies 2 and 3 mths. or retirement etc. sad. he was a nice guy. still need to get a sympathy card too forgot to get dh to get it from dollar store sunday. still need to do xmas cards.

need to get to work but the order didn't come in yesterday like it was suppose too. says for today. cleaned up kitchen. dishwasher running. sun is showing all the cat hair on the floor etc did litter box. we went to ikea and costco yesterday. so tortellini for dinner. ended up buying it there because reg store hasn't had a good sale. when they do i buy and freeze. easy dinner. dh was off so we were looking at kitchen and in garage for things. faucet is leaking again. found old thick wood for shelves in garage that was in the basement. what is the fancy rustic stuff now lol he started taking the arborite cover off the original closet doors of pantry and broom closet. the inside wasn't touched. wish they had done that in the 90s for the reg cabinet doors. odd size so you have to make them from scratch. that white w wood trim from ikea that was so popular then. the inside and structure is the good thick solid wood so don't want that messed with. our kitchen is small but at least practical. lots of little projects to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lots of little projects here, too. Couple more bills to pay. Time to pay property taxes. Need to write a couple more christmas cards. Need to stop at the PO. It is sunny and 32F, not bad out with no wind. Dragged out a huge tub of cardboard, etc for recycling this morning.

Got sausage and chicken out to thaw. Going to bake up breakfast biscuits for DH for the week. Baked chicken with rice and asparagus for dinner.

GB, hope you are feeling better soon.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GB you might THINK you have no time to be sick but you NEED to take care of yourself or you WILL be sick and it will last longer....go to doctor...nick it in the bud before it takes hold....hope you feel better soon...…

I just finished up making 12 exchange bags.....I took Starbucks bottles and painted the tops white...stuck a label on it and made hot cocoa mix. Then added three mini muffins, 2 chocolate chip cookies, 1 sugar cookie, 2 seven layer bars, 3 snickerdoodle cookies....and a small bag of marshmallows....Suppose to have a $5 value.....Hope it works.....

It's wet and raining...was in the 80's yesterday and today it's in the 60's and going to go down to the 30's....Not what I want...

Still have problems with vertigo....I can go along fine and all of a sudden it hits....I have meds to take but don't take them till it hits....then it's too late...

Got to make an appetizer for tonite...doing crescent rolls with cream cheese and raspberry jam....suppose to use brie but I am not going to go to store just for that....I think cream cheese will be work.....