2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 102
Page 102 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1614
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peg, I get your frustration - maybe just buy a toy and give it to Toys for Tots and let them decide who gets it. People who live in poverty are often not good at saving over 12 months. Maybe they do put aside a bit for gifts, but then in August the transmission goes on the car and they need to fix it. There goes the gift money.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to bring a load of wood inside today while it is not raining. Supposed to start again tonight, and freeze or sleet. Dog club holiday party this afternoon, there is always a ham and whatever else people bring, I will make gingerbread to take. Hubby did not mail the Christmas cards, he said post office was closed when he got there. I surmise he has no idea that they have self-service machines and requires a human to wait on him......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

morning all. yes it can be frustrating..had something happen w a charity this year so just left the fb group and just will move on. decided now just do things that people don't really know about. like bought off a amazon wishlist for a wildlife center. will donate toys in honour of a santa who passed. we always did but since it all goes to sallyann we don't know who gets it. just dropped off stuff for food bank at store etc stuff like that. I get looks from the kettle santas but seriously I pass them almost 10 times a week so if I put money in every time I would be broke. a friend works a place that does xmas help matching them w a family who will help and says she is shocked at requests..and tells them no you won't get an ipad etc. ask for reg stuff. $50 rca tablet from walmart ok $2k ipad no.

going on a paddlewheeler day cruise up the river xmas one. just for fun. comes w a turkey meal so we will get out monies worth just from ds eating lol. foggy and rainy but normal here. hopefully clears up more. friend came over w dd so kids make gingerbread houses, ordered pizza and I had made roasted veggies and pork so that is dinner tonight. still xmas stuff to do but hey that is over a week away. always housework. need to organize my week too w work etc. we went to michaels for icing for houses and I got a half price xmas sweater I saw online I liked xmas tree with a cat attacking lol still cards etc to do of course but haven't even really gotten any dying thing. but can't say much! postage here is $$$ too like $1 to mail a card.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know what you man about charities. I want to help, but not if I don't know where my gift is going, or if their main expense is staff and overhead. I don't give money over the phone to strangers who call. I don't have an Ipad myself, but will be happy to give food, clothes, etc. to those truly in need.

Snowing hard now. Was going to go to the pharmacy, but just watched a car going sideways in front of my house, so, not today. I have a few days of pills left.

Christmas cruise sounds really nice, M. We did that with friends one year. Not sure what we are doing this year, they are trying to get time off work after the holiday.

Dlr, gingerbread sounds delicious. I'm in the mood to cook or bake something today -- get the house warmed up, lol! Don't need any more sweets or treats, so maybe a soup.

Going to bake pork chops and butternut squash for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I checked Replacements.com, one of the tall candy dishes is worth $25, or they may reduce it (the base has some minor dents.) Pattern name was stamped on the bottom, so that was easy. I polished and it is pretty. Need to find some more things to be worth the postage. Wish I had known a month ago when I mailed the other box. There are several candelabras I have not even checked yet, guess I will have to drag those home.
    Made double batch of gingerbread in the bundt pan. I will freeze leftovers for dad and brother. Did laundry and brought in wood. Not much else will get done today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Friday I had to drive to Jackson for a mammogram and on the way back I stopped at a new to me grocery store and I'm so glad I did! Pineapples $1 each, Pork cubed steak for $2/#, 1# packs of sliced ham $2 each, 1# packs of smoked sliced turkey $2 each, 1# bologna $1, 1# bags frozen corn for $1 each, 2# bags frozen peas $1.50, green onions with the roots on for $1 each and bone in hams $1/#. Spent $100 and the only thing I paid full price for was a 2# bag of carrots.

Yesterday I cut up the pineapples and canned them - 15 pints, cooked peels for hm vinegar, fed the chickens the cooked peels. I separated and froze all of the meat except the ham. I also made a HUGE pot if vegetable soup - @3 gallons for less than $10. From the garden - tomato juice, yard long beans. Salvage store cabbage. on sale frozen peas and corn. Fresh carrots and potatoes. Meat was 1 quart deer and 1 quart beef.

Today I planted 6 of the pineapple tops and put them up in the garage so the goats can't get to them, they ate my last ones Grrrrr. Planted the green onions 26 for $2 and they plan is to cut off what I need and let them regrow. I have a ham in the pressure cooker for meals this week and to freeze. I've frozen leftovers in the fridge that won't get eaten before they spoil. I worked one hour from home this morning.

We bought 2 turkeys last weekend for $10 each from a co-worker, a hen and a tom. They make to coolest sounds ever! I love listening to them.

Otherwise it's been the same ol same ol - no extra driving. no eating out, trying to not spend on wants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've decided I'm concentrating on Operation Christmas Child with shoeboxes and school pencil packs....I committed to 356 pencil packs....not sure how many shoeboxes I will do....did 304 pencil packs this year and 39 shoeboxes....will see how it goes this year...

Got a really cool funky dresser at a sale today....it is solid wood and I picked it up for pennies....goes great in my daughter's house...

Grandson came over and brought all the Christmas stuff down from the attic....OMG....so many totes.....he's coming back on Thursday along with his mom and they will take what they want....the rest I will find a home and plan on keeping just my nativity sets.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol living large I asked you on facebook about you cooking peels yesterday.. small world. had a typo doing cards not dying them. maybe thinking that we needed to get sympathy card. ch here all goes to hell in a handbasket at the first sign of snow. not that people are good drivers here. bookworm at least you can get lots of deals at back to school time or ask folks.

the day cruise was nice but was chilly. too noisy downstairs so we stayed upstairs. sang carols last hour. should have brought my crocheting lol dd read a whole book. it is nice but the scenery was same for us because we live here of course. food was good and staff nice. the craft fair too many businesses like epicure but we cruised around. know why we go to dollar store for cards $8 for a sympathy card but it is done. got fun candy at the store there. wild cherry lifesavers things hard to find. dh found some gifts. plus jerky and honey candy but not the stuff you were thinking of. white...haven't tried it yet. we know the town so just was more a different family thing to do. dh didn't sleep well and don't know if it is allergies or what for ds and me. dh said I was like a furnace last night w heating pad said I didn't have one cus I was hot so which is not normal. he is the hot one. he isn't feeling great so hopefully all the mandarins I bought that the family is eating will help keep things away. just realized think I still have mini donuts in my purse. got some because fresh hot out of the fryer...but we just had the turkey buffet. so had some and put them away. got homemade almond tarts too. hopefully good.

my friend dislocated her hip again..didn't fall just texted me late. just popped out so don't know at this point she need to get it all tightened. she just turned and pop but at least no pain and it back in w laughing gas she says. so no breakfast w her tomorrow just other friend. she was over on sat watching the dolly parton specials I had taped. working tomorrow too. so will see how the day goes.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-79315605_10158267833002971_262523618200649728_n.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only a couple pieces of gingerbread were left, a small gathering so less food was brought

I'm thawing chicken for supper. Off work today but I have online training 4-6 pm so need to prep it for hubby to just put in the oven at 5. Raining here & some wet snow but roads seem OK. I'm going to Kohl's, maybe JoAnn. Cards were mailed finally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Light snow this morning, neighbors are digging out. DH is working from home, office opened late. City offices and schools closed. Our street is plowed, it's a school bus route. Most everyone else has to deal with slippery roads. No plans, not going anywhere today.

Finished the crock pot oatmeal for breakfast. Got leftovers for lunch and snacks, and going to make smoky bacon mac&cheese for dinner. DH got some cheese out of the freezer. I need to thaw butter, too. Might make cookies this afternoon, we'll see. Yesterday I was just too tired to do much.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL- I dunno different turkey sounds. Only the wild ones that roamed the Poconos where I had my horse.

Made a fast appt for dentist but he's booked until March. I will go in for x-rays but then he will make suggestions. Great. I will see if DH can take me as I can't drive in low light. If not, then will try to reschedule this quick appt.

DS2 is waiting for his final grades to come in before picking classes for next semester. He will see if he needs to repeat a class. Apparently, a couple days before the final exam of a certain class, everyone's grades dropped. The students were complaining about it before the final but nothing was said by the teacher. Some students were seniors and said that they may have to repeat the class just to graduate. And so we wait...…

Picking up bagels today that are being donated to the food pantry. I'll deliver them on Wednesday and Friday.

Ladies, it's truly difficult to know where your toys/money goes when it's donated to a charity for Christmas. But if we donate from the kindness of our hearts, then we did our part and hope that everyone does theirs. When my family was in poverty, I applied at a food bank (had to show our social security #'s, birth certificates, etc.) and it was rough for us. This particular food bank helped with Christmas presents. I made an appt and waited my turn to see what they wanted to ask me. Basically, they wanted to know the kid's ages and what they would want. I did NOT mention anything extravagant! Basics like socks, pants, jacket, books, toys.....And I don't know who donated the money or how the financials were done, but the kids got the basics and some gift cards for books/ toys. It was so amazing and done with such Love.....Truly a blessing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The sun is out, snow is melting and life is returning to normal. Some schools were still closed today. DH is working from home today, but he should be able to drive to work tomorrow. We shoveled out the cars this morning. Can't find the bag of ice melt from last year so I bought a new cannister at CVS when I got my pills. Can't have anyone slipping down our concrete steps.

Leftover fajitas for lunch. Broccoli falafel and pita for dinner. Got everything I need for cookies, and most of the counter cleared, and the mixer all cleaned. Ready for a new mess, lol!

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made it to Rhode Island and went to the State House yesterday to here my GD’s choir sing. It’s been snowing and raining today. Leaving in the morning to head back to Texas tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been eating too much. Will try to "go light" for the next few days. Hubby's birthday cake only half eaten. Mystery client sent giant box of Mrs. Fields' cookies to work. Also apples & pears, need to grab one of those tomorrow. I suggested we not put up a Christmas tree this year (I always end up doing the work to decorate and take down.) He compromised and bought a small 3' tree, we put it on a table so maybe 5' at top. Much less work for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got home today. Doing laundry and went to grocery store. I’m exhausted!