2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 12
Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reupholstered a box we have at the foot of the bed for the dogs to use as a step. It was looking pretty tacky and I alwats hated the old fabric. I used stash fabric that probably cost $2 or less, because I never spend much on stash fabric if I don't need it right away. It looks nice with the knotty pine bedframe we have now.2019 Frugal Challenge-20190207_092608_1549555949342.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gbug, glad to hear your headache free today.

Was planning on going to work but with roads still a little icy I decided to either go tomorrow or Saturday. I got over to Animal Control today to get the dogs new licenses. Long line and crabby people, I felt sorry for the two workers who were definitely a little overwhelmed. Called my mom and caught up a bit, lately she is hard to get ahold of, for being 85, she is a very busy woman!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really cold here. Heading to Oklahoma for the weekend to see family. Nothing exciting here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's a soup competition in town in two weeks. My workplace is making beetroot soup. We're up against some of the best restaurants in town, and don't expect much with our rustic, countryside soup. For some reason I'm in charge of it.

I have to peel and chop 80 onions, 20 celeriac, 35 lbs of beetroots and 40 lbs of potatoes. I've always hated peeling potatoes. Will have some people helping me next week, so l'm hoping I can put them to work on the potatoes. Did the celeriac and some beetroots today. I'm bringing my own peeler and kitchen knife with me from tomorrow on. They're way better than we have in the kitchen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow Tine, how many servings of soup is that? I was thinking to try carrot soup (have 2 lb carrots.)
    I used the dog food coupon and got a free 4 lb bag last night at the store. There was free breakfast at work today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tine, if this is a rustic soup, why do you have to peel the potatoes? The contest sounds interesting.

I'm amusing myself figuring out how to use the lower parts of 2 wedding gown sleeves I have left over. I think I will be able to decorate 2 small gowns with them. I don't want to throw them out. I thought I was done making angel gowns for a while, but I keep thinking up new ideas. I need to make more gowns for little boys.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made another gown after I drafted an altered pattern, then used stash items. It turned out okay.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190209_113234_1549737081191.jpg

I planned leftovers for supper so no cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer- I enjoy looking at your photos and appreciate your desire to help those in need.

Our church has a yearly bake sale this weekend. I made 4 focaccia breads and some choclate chip cookies. I planned on making brownies from a mix but it was an old mix and had to be tossed. I always have ingredients for cookies on hand, so that was easy.

DH and I were discussing helping DS1 with living on his own. DS1 told me he can't afford to rent and prefers to buy but can't do that either (as his job is new). We think it's smart to buy a place and discussed trying to help. He was quite excited about this and we'll look around to see what's out there. This decision isn't frugal at all but with time, we hope it's a good investment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the big snowstorm didn't happen here. just read the past posts..realized I have been shopping a lot ! dh and i shopped again since near the asian combo store..actually would have been cheaper without him but at least stuff he wanted was cheap because wasn't planning on another 100 bucks and most stuff on sale. but he wanted some frozen single entrees for lunch on major sale 2 bucks each so got 10.acid reflux stuff candied ginger.. got some chinese food and sushi for dinner. my coconut bread and swissroll. plus stuff for the week fruit, bread, milk etc. found lychee bubble tea mix for ds. worked yesterday and tomorrow. today had a girl guide event and kids activities. did get poke bowls and wonton noodle soup from food court for dinner yesterday since dh was out w friend. way cheaper and really good then going out. did library runs. so lots of dvds to watch. getting sleepy since I took a bendryl better then being up until after 1 last night reading. talked to mil about taking her to the new lego movie but she has a nasty cold. watching equalizer 2.

ds and I split the sushi and he has chow mein and I said leave the sticky friend rice for me. or I won't have anything for dinner after work. rest of them eating hotdogs. they are happy. dh had gotten buns, hotdogs and creamo earlier today when out with friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Split pea soup in the crock pot w/ a frozen ham bone. Gave brother some small vacuum-sealed coffees that come in gift baskets, he said he will use them. He put some books in my car trunk to take to donation but I'm going to leave in the trunk until after the snow/ice storm for more traction. Not sure how bad this storm will be. If we are lucky will turn to all rain Monday. Going in to work for a while today since not sure if able to commute on Monday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked on some stuff for Days for Girls, using fabric bought on a good sale at JA and thrift store thread. I managed to spill water over pretty much everything, so have that stuff draped all over to dry. I used my old Viking, which the repair tech kindly fixed on the floor for me a few weeks ago, for free. It just had a big fat chunk of lint stuck in a bad place which messed up the tension. I also cut about 3 yards of thrift store fabric into 83 pieces for DfG shield.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday was cold but a good day.....had lunch at Olive Garden with a friend and she paid for it....we only see each other once or twice a year as she still works so we had a 3 1/2 hour lunch and it felt good to get out and laugh and cry and laugh some more....

My son and family came over and returned the money I loaned them in December so my dil could have surgery. What a shocker that was...LOL....you know how kids are....they also reminded me they still owe me from the time before....I don't remember but said ok....

Grandson stayed with us for an hour or so to visit while parents ran to mall.

I got a video from a sweet little five year old boy who sees me maybe, once a year....he is autistic and has a lazy eye which he just started wearing an eye patch for....his mom, a very young mom, said he hates it and gives her a hard time....I went on Amazon and ordered him some patches....he got them yesterday and he sent me the cutest video telling me how much he loves me and he is smiling from ear to ear wearing one of his new patches.....made my day!!!!! I couldn't have spent that $20 on anything else that would bring me the joy I got from seeing his little face....

So, no real money spent yesterday....today may be a different story....going to run to Wags and pick up some Oxi for a dollar...I usually buy whatever I can on sale and donate to food pantry...we only use All.

Got to pick up some cold meds to send to my nephew and wife who always seem to be sick....I could just send them the money and they could buy the meds themselves but they are struggling and they would use the money to pay a bill and then they still be sick with no meds....this way I know they have the meds they need.....not the best or frugal way to do it but the only way I see. And, remember I'm flush, I got repaid by son.....LOL

Stay warm everyone.....keep up the good work SD....those gowns are beautiful....I'm in awe of you!!!!!
    Tine hope you got those potatoes peeled....I feel for you....I hate peeling potatoes and don't usually do it.....keep us informed how the soup comes out in the competition....
    GB hope you are feeling better...it's cold here too....yesterday was 44...today is in 50's.....too cold for me....
    I made split pea soup from a frozen ham bone last week and froze it....hubs doesn't like it and I was watching my salt intake so didn't have any but it sure was good when I tasted it.....
    Had cataract surgery on Wednesday and I am seeing the world in a whole new light..OMG….it is amazing...never realized how bad it was.....having other eye done next week....going need sun glasses for sure......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been a crazy week! My daughter and family moved in last weekend. It's been good having them here but I forgot how much work little kids are. With their help we have been getting a lot of outside work accomplished - cleaning up the leaves from last fall, trimming tree branches, getting the garden and flower beds ready for planting. Put some dirt in containers to start seeds. My daughter interviewed for an admin position at the same place I work.

Bought a new fridge/freezer yesterday, it was the floor model on sale, plus 20% off and because it had a couple of scratches I got another 10% off which paid for delivery and taxes. I've been wanting a new one because I hate side by sides, the water doesn't work and it's very noisy. We will keep the old one as a garage fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't normally work on Saturdays but did yesterday because I missed on Thursday due to an ice storm. So yesterday nothing much got done except a couple of loads of laundry and the bed was changed. Went grocery shopping today and then we went to church. I have been trying to take it easy today because I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday and this will be a long week for me.

My old dogs eye wasn't getting any better so I took him back in last week. My vet gave him another eye drop to add to the first one and he's back in the cone. Tomorrow we go back to see if that made a difference and if not he will have to numb his eye and try to scrape off as much of the ulcer as possible. He doesn't want to put him under because of his age so I am just hoping and praying that his eye is better so we can just skip all that.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Drove back from OK today from visiting Dmom and my brother and his family. On the way home, found out that DD was taken to hospital with back pain and spasms. I’ve talked to her and she is going to call her doc tomorrow and have him order an MRI since nothing was done except test to rule out kidney stones. She is still in pain and stands crooked. She’s worried that she might have a compression fracture. I’m really scared for her as she is preparing to take her nursing licensing exam in March and worried she might have to have surgery if it is a fracture. Hospital doc thought it was just her muscle and sciatic nerve.

Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast