2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 16
Page 16 of 91 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ru, gas for our gas hog truck will be about $30. That will be offset by savings on items we would otherwise have to buy locally at higher prices. We also are going for items we can't buy here at all.

All the baby gowns are different because the adult gowns they're made from vary. Here are a few of them.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190131_115645_1550665481109.jpg2019 Frugal Challenge-20190202_121141_1550665640736.jpg2019 Frugal Challenge-20190125_142902_1550665720357.jpg2019 Frugal Challenge-20190120_105052_1550665877536.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Snowing here so work at home day. Last night we went to Red Robin for my free birthday burger, a good night since it was not crowded.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy birthday!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dlrcpa, Happy Birthday! Can't pass up a free meal.

Puttering around here today. Took a book and DVD back to the library this morning, trying to beat the snow/freezing rain/rain storm we are going to get today. I have chili going in the crockpot and cooked/cut up a tin of Spam to use for bribes for the dog I will be pupsitting. She (like her sister, my foster dog) has issues with going through doorways in and out of the house. My house smells gross but I'm sure the dogs will swear it smells fantastic! I started laundry this morning so I guess I should go and finish that.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Snowing here so work at home day. Last night we went to Red Robin for my free birthday burger, a good night since it was not crowded.
    Happy Birthday!! have a good one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

snowed again yesterday lots of accidents so took dh long time to get home. quiet anniversary dvd from library and leftovers lol. paid for a year of dh martial arts 1500 later. not a cheap month. we are going away so that is our fun time. sunny here and going to friends graduation from college this afternoon. lots of laundry to do. shrimp or meatloaf for dinner one or the other tonight. kitten decided to come drool and cover me with hair so that nightgown in the laundry. gets upset because I don't want him knocking off my glasses and drooling on them. doesn't do it to dh. usual errands etc too. more dvds to watch too. want to bring them back before the library shuts down for 5 weeks for final renos. so others can have them since new movies. watched night school last night. good but glad didn't pay for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a 1/2 batch of a new zesty Italian dressing mix, just to test it out. I've always used bottled zesty Italian dressing for marinade, and it's always bugged me for the space it took up in the pantry and for the excess sodium and other undesirable stuff in it. But I never found a recipe not involving things like apple juice. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Anyway, I came across the new recipe a few days ago and it looked good. I decided to marinate some chicken for supper, and luckily I was out of bottled dressing so I made the mix and then the dressing. It's a keeper! I'm happy about this because we always seem to have too many bottles of dressing taking up space in our fridge. I'm trying to eliminate buying dressings for health, cost, and space, and the more I can find good HM recipes, the closer I get to that goal. I can also make small batches of dressing as needed, so they're fresher, which is nice.

I'm testing out all kinds of HM recipes and have had good luck finding good ones.

I bought a small 3 tier wall shelf a while ago, with the idea of using it in the kitchen. But I could never find jars that fit right. Today I discovered the jars we have been buying Marzetta's pickled peppers in fit perfectly, 3 on each shelf. I have 7 jars including some that aren't empty, so will have to keep an eye out for a sale on pickled peppers, so I can complete the set. I will use those for HM herb/spice mixes like the Italian dressing above. I paid $1 for the shelves and the jars are free, so it will make a frugal storage system.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you share the zesty Italian dressing mix?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like 1C canning/jam jars and found that green plastic tops from Smart Balance Mayo and the tops w/ holes from Kraft Parmesan cheese screw onto the standard 1C jars perfectly. So I like using the plastic lids. Take yogurt to work and use them for other things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used Parmesan tops on canning jars for years, too. I like that I can stick a measuring spoon through the lids to measure stuff. I also bought some Ball shaker tops a few years ago, and like those, too.

Zesty Italian Dressing Mix

2 T. Garlic powder
    1/4 c. Onion powder
    1/2 c. Oregano
    4 t. Black pepper
    4 t. Thyme
    4 t. Parsley
    1-2 T. Sugar
    1 t. Salt
    1/2 t. Celery seed
    1/2 c. Cajun seasoning
    Shake well before each use. Use as meat rub, sprinkled on foods, or to make dressing. For dressing:
    2 T. Herb mix above
    1/4 c. Red or white wine vinegar
    2/3 c. Extra virgin olive oil
    2 T. Water

This makes a good size batch of mix, about 1.5 cups, I think. I made a half batch. IMO it's really good but needs a little more heat. That's easily adjusted by adding just a little cayenne, or a lot, or some red pepper flakes if you like hot food. But I'm very pleased with this recipe.

Pinterest has every dry homemade seasoning mix known to mankind, it seems. I still can't believe I found a recipe for ramen seasoning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No snow here, only rain. You ladies are very busy. Me, not so much. Doing laundry today and maybe a little sewing.

Spirit Deer, I work in a costume closet and we are constantly weeding out gowns. I would love to send you some as they come available. You can send me your address at [email protected] and I will start a box for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one!

Spirit- The gowns are lovely. The gas cost isn't bad for a monthly run to do shopping. At least the prices aren't $4/gal like they were , maybe 10 years ago...That was insane.... With all of the oil and refineries in this country, allowing that to get out of hand was an injustice to the people.

Working today and it will be a flurry of action tonight and tomorrow with visitors stopping by. So we have to get the dept sparkling.

I saw a crock pot recipe from Chef John for chicken cacciatore that was super easy and threw that together last night. I made rice to go with it and basically, I put chicken, onions, mushrooms and pasta sauce in the cooker. I made rice to put under it all, although I'm sure pasta would work too. It's good and it's all about the sauce..... I'm sure a homemade sauce would be outstanding.

I will need to take down the tree at some point...Last year, I left it up. All year. I didn't have help to take it down. DS2 is complaining that he wants it down and I have to figure out where to put it. With DS1's apartment stuff in the basement, my tread and bike and huge totes of toys and misc., there isn't much room for 10 ft tree parts.....::

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone seems so busy.....I had my right eye done yesterday.....for some reason this one was tougher then the left two weeks ago...nurse couldn't get the iv in an it hurt.....then she got charge nurse to do it and my then my hand was tender so it did hurt but only for a couple of minutes....dont' think they gave me as much sleepy meds as I felt them put the drape over my face and I went into panic mode....was able to calm myself but did not like it all.....on left eye I had no idea I had a drape over the my face.....then I am deaf in my left ear so I always sleep on my right side to block out all noise....could not sleep on right last nite and didn't want to chance it so I sleep in my recliner....didn't get much sleep.....patch is coming off at 3 which is exactly two more hours....lol....and my insurance company is being a b about my meds....they can't understand I have two eyes and they both need drops three and four times a day so that tiny tiny bottle they give me isn't lasting the way they think it should and they won't refill........unbelievable....

Husband will pick up dinner as he doesn't want me cooking for a week....gotta love that man.....lol....

It's rainy and cold today.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bookworm, yikes! Sorry your eye surgery didn't go as well as the first one. Why do insurance companies have to be so difficult? Very nice of your husband to take care of dinner for a week.

SD, thanks for the recipe. I appreciate it.

Work was cut short today so since I was already in the city, I stopped at SA and found a few things that were on my list that I had been looking for. I also found a 4 pk of vacuum cleaner bags for 50 cents. I have a canister vacuum that I love and have repeatedly bought the same one when one goes for the past 30 years. I have to buy bags for it online now and was thrilled to find them at SA for such a bargain. It's the little things that make your day, isn't it?! I finally was able to get my car washed and get the inch of salt off of it. It was so thick I was having trouble seeing out my side windows without putting them down. Going to see my nephews son play basketball tonight so will make a quick dinner of mock chicken wraps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bookworm too bad about your eye. hopefully will be better fast. our gas is actually cheaper for a few months for us $5 a gallon. usually more. got more today using one of the money off gas coupons I got from safeway. went grocery shopping again today w my mom. how I can spend over a 100 when I just spent 80.. did include pet food laundry soap etc. granted some processed stuff family likes were on sale swansons dinners 1.99 so got 6 chicken strips, corn potato brownie ones for kids. kd cups for dd $1 each, kraft singles american cheese were bogo. half price tide clear and downy, gravy mixes, kcups for dh plus milk etc most stuff on sale too.
    got a little pot mum for my friends bday tomorrow.

went to friends grad ceremony yesterday and saw other friends here. today is housework and laundry. organizing for trip away. have to make the meatloaf I didn't make yesterday. suppose to snow again tomorrow. threw away salad. found some things for thrift store box.