2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 17
Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819202767 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peg- Sorry about your eye! The insurance companies are getting worse. They dictate what you can and can't have and how many pills. The doctor's script doesn't matter. It's terrible. I'm less busy than a few years ago, when I worked a full time and part time job. I now just have a full time job ( 40 - 45 hrs). I used to work out 6 hours a week but have cut it down to 4 or so. I hope to go back to part time but that means barely paying my expenses. Currently, I can do that, afford a family vacation, pay a bit towards college loans and have a emergency fund. The trade off is my health. Working long hours affects my labs and this last one was horrible. If my next round is similar, I will need to make a hard decision.

We're supposed to drive north today but again, the weather is supposed to be icy and snowy. I hope our client wants to meet closer to us.

I hope to pick up dinner tonight but am unsure. We'll see if the family wants that or what we have here- leftovers or frozen fried chicken. Most of the time, they prefer to eat at home since DH eats early and is back in bed before his job starts. He works a lot.

I hope to wash my uniform today, visit the client, get to the gym and take down part of the tree. I tried to install the toilet cleaning system in my bathroom but the tank is too small. I'll let DH put it in a different bathroom. I ended up getting a over-the-rim stain fighter that was on clearance. Seems to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone.....my eye feels better today and was happy that the patch is off....I can see soooo much better....never realized how much I wasn't seeing.....and, it really wasn't too bad.....the waiting and not knowing is what gets you....at least I know I can pass my eye test for my renewal of license in June....I was really worried.....
    Sometimes rujerro you have to do what is best for your health....I had to retire at 64 because I couldn't take the stress any longer and my blood work was always a mess.....I sucked it up and did COBRA for a year till I could get medicare….it wasn't too bad....the difference in my blood work is amazing....I have severe RA.....my Humeria is what costs a fortune but as long as my husband is working we can do it.....he is 66 but really only works part time and gets full pay so I don't say too much...and, I need my alone time so told him he can NOT retire....lol....I'm not a 24/7 gal....first husband worked three nights a week and every other weekend so I am use to doing my own thing.
    My doctor rewrote the script to double to doze so I can get it on Sunday. Which I am so happy about....insurance is a joke sometimes.....without insurance these drops cost $731.15.....the bottle is tiny...tiny....thank God I am in catastrophic stage and I will pay only 5%.....I fell into the donut hole and out all in the same day when I got my Humeria last week.....they are suppose to close up that hole in 2020....hopefully it jumps right to catastrophic after stage 1 or whatever they call it....will see....
    Not doing anything today....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was in the zone today! I got so much done, even things that I had been putting off for over a year. I wish I could keep this momentum up, I would be caught up in a week.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peg, good to hear the eye is doing better. They didn't put me too far under, either, but it was okay because I was out of it anyway. I was aware, but too stoned to care! 😁

GB, check your PMs. Thanks so much for your offer.

Today I made a couple simple reusable popcorn bags for travel. We like popcorn for snacking but aren't supposed to have store popcorn or micro anymore. Making our own is a cheaper and a lot healthier, but I needed containers that worked for us. It took me a while to figure out what to line them with and finally decided on cereal bags. If those don't hold up but the bags work otherwise, I will buy the expensive food safe PUL to line them with, but for now we both like them. We will use them on a day trip in a couple weeks and see how it goes. For this project, I used scrap fabric, thrift store thread, garage sale zipper pulls, cereal bags, and salvaged zippers. Total cost is less than .05 per bag.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

New popcorn bags.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190223_134855_1550954199521.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made 2 copycat Jiffy cornbread mixes (I put in pint jars). Bought individual size pizzas $1 each for dad and me. They were not bad and saved me from "cooking" (other than putting in the oven.) Going to tackle the quilt again today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been doing a lot of mix making lately myself, so much that I will be overhauling our entire food storage and planning in the camper, in part to make use of some of the mixes, especially those that have multiple uses. I'm especially liking the salad dressing mixes. Those will save us a lot and we can just make small batches that will take less space in our tiny fridge. Some of them can be used for dips, marinades, or dressings, or even general purpose seasonings, which will save space and money. There's a clone recipe for just about anything, it seems.

I went looking in the pantry for a cake mix I thought was chocolate, bought last summer. It was lemon, expired July, 2017. Oops. I also had a partial angel food mix, so made up both of those to get rid of them before they needed to be thrown away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those popcorn bags are so neat.....you are really creative.....
    yesterday, Saturday, was a bust....picked up an auction win which was an hour away....got 97 t-shirts all pink, can use 20 of the smaller sizes in shoeboxes and will give 40 to a friend who does t-shirts and the others I will donate to a homeless shelter....$23 for all.....tried to get a box of mixes colors but they were going quite high....so happy with what I got....today we had to pick up in a small town an hour and half away.....it was a nice day for a drive.....came home and took a four hour nap.....the day is gone...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Took my Costco rewards check and did a massive shopping trip today. Lugged it all in the house and put everything away. Trying to get things ready for the foster dog I'm pupsitting, I am picking her up after work tomorrow. Her foster family does not use a crate for her and here, she will have to be in a crate at night and when I'm not home. Hope it goes well. Having LO for dinner so no cooking here tonight.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope the crate works. Last time Shadow was in a crate, she dragged a live extension cord into the crate and chewed it in half, bent some of the crate wires trying to chew out, and Storm peed on her twice, poor girl. She's lucky she didn't electrocute herself and we're all lucky she didn't burn the house down. She's not a girl who can be crated. I'm just happy she doesn't tear up the truck when she's locked in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got 18 oz boxes of corn flakes for $1.79. DS2 loves those with bananas. People asked me why I was buying so much cereal and I said the price couldn't be beat and with a 6'3" son, he can eat whatever he wants...……

DS2 was invited to join a scholar honor society. GPA has to be 3.4 or better so he got signed up today. They offer scholarships, so he will apply to those.

Making ham & potatoes for dinner. Made enchiladas yesterday. Woke up at 3:30 am , made dinner, went to gym, then slept a hour before work. Very strange to do all of that and then be exhausted after a nap. I hope it never happens again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got 48 one pound tubs of cottage cheese free yesterday. One of our grocery stores called to see if we wanted a bunch because it's outdated a couple days and they have a lot left they will have to throw. I hate giving up the freezer space, but 3 or 4 tubs will replace the expensive shredded cheese I usually use for dog food every month, and save us a lot.

Found a great recipe for Santa Fe Chicken and made it last night. It will be added to our camping and travel food list because it's good, fast, fairly cheap, made with ingredients we usually have in the camper, cooks in one pot, and is WW friendly. I also think it would make a good travel lunch rolled in a tortilla and served cold the next day. Wins all around.

We finally got our old Office 2007 program to work on my new Win10 laptop. It does what I need it to do so far, so we're hoping to avoid having to buy a new program which would save us $150.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congested and feeling rough, but I have got to clean house and do laundry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made 3 suet cakes for the birds, with suet from the food shelf (no one wants it) and expired peanut butter and birdseed.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still feeling rough, but got my house cleaned and laundry done. Have to fill the firebox and get ready for the upcoming cold. Going to make orange cranberry bread today. Got another free cap in the mail. Gave one to my brother and taking the other one to the soup kitchen on Monday.