2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 29
Page 29 of 108 FirstFirst ... 19262728293031323979 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I should do it but spices are pricey here. should get the cheaper bagged ones. rain off and on. slammed with allergys so not much happening. dh asked what to do this afternoon ..I said see how you feel after bike ride w friend. didn't go with friend but w ds for less then a few minutes..both wiped out. so he is sore. bent his house keys on his hip. no real damage. and ds didn't wreck his new clothes. turns out the jeans he saw fit are really over sized at the waist...sigh. he said he like bigger waists. he is slim. told him to put the jeans in the wash to shrink.

dh did get the piece of plywood out of garage for under the mattress to see if that helps our backs. the mattress is newer but a gift from someone who didn't need it. got a memory foam on it. the mattress at the vegas hotel was lovely. was going to cook but we got pizza instead. ds is under don't eat the rest advisory since it for dh and I's lunches tomorrow. you know teen boys nothing is safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nightmare (10 minutes) getting my Amazon.com account to remove a security question I could not answer. So I called and had to answer a whole list of questions - like describe my last 3 purchases. Since I really don't buy anything we were going back to 2016. Fortunately I had old emails that far back. Anyway the problem was I use some of those visa gift cards. Once used up I discard them. But Amazon had them and was asking me the expiration date of a card I no longer had. Impossible to answer. I just deleted all unnecessary (also expired) cards from that account. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. As soon as I used up my credit there I am going to avoid them in the future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worked at the soup kitchen today. Brought home limes, salad kits, and bread. Too tired to do anything tonight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ran errands , took my mom w me grocery shopping for yogurt and other fresh stuff. and she gave me some stuff for the kids and some potatoes she didn't need. library, got a haircut. housework, laundry, need to make dinner pasta and ham. caesar salad. mopped floors but raining off and on so family is warned keep them clean for a bit.

will be brain dead for rest of day..allergy meds kicking in

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD- That was some great bargain shopping!
    Rabbit- Yogurt at that price is awesome!

Alas, I didn't fare well in the grocery store. DS1 said he wanted vanilla peach ice cream. Blue Bell. At $7.49 a half gallon. Yup, that's my kid. DS2 requested cookies. I haven't made any in a while, so I got him ones on sale. He said it didn't matter what kind but likes soft ones. I picked soft ones (whew).

I have a ham that's been thawed for days now. I hope it's still good. On my days off, we've been driving to the apartment to get things fixed and it's a all day affair. The drive is 3 hours round-trip, unless traffic is heavy. Then it's 4-5 hours round-trip. My cooking has been fast and easy and if I don't make anything, then he throws boxed oven stuff in the oven (breaded chicken/fish/fries). The freezer is full of that stuff at this point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going to be warm here again. Going to work in my garden. DH is going to till another area when he gets home. Planting zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers. Already planted kale, spinach, Swiss chard, and beets. Will plant tomatoes and okra later. Also going to plant rosemary, sage, parsley, oregano, basil. Have chives, mint, and lemon thyme growing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

raining off and on. period kicking my butt plus the allergies. so nothing exciting. great art meeting last night w the sparks. grocery shopped after meeting my friend for breakfast. since I bought the wrong tea day before so green tea peppermint not reg peppermint so went to other store for my normal one store brand. bought dh kcups turns out the decaf ones... can't return because opened into a basket. dh says he will use them up. sigh.

just moms group will give them the other tea too. didn't know I got the wrong one until I opened that either and dh noticed. can you tell who doesn't have hayfever in the house. pollen counts have been high this week and period makes it worse. too old for this! leftovers for dinner. usually kids activities ds wants his friends over after school. need to finish the one seam on dd blanket. so the table downstairs can be cleared. of course always housework. kitten keeps knocking stuff in the night that I find in the morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did laundry and made a run to Sprouts. Yellow onions 2 lbs. for $1 and red potatoes 2 lbs. for $1. Also got red mangoes 2/$1. Made a sheet pan dinner of peppers, red onion, red potatoes, turkey link sausage, and eggs. It was easy and delicious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Working on my quilt today and then going to a bluegrass concert tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha- What a day ! Sorry about the tea and k-cups. At least your DH was willing to drink decaf. I don't know how old you are, but my sister says she thinks she has the menopausal night sweats. I told her that I'm waiting for that (we are the same age) and right now, I'm wearing 5 layers to work! I am so cold all the time! DH claims I'm giving off too much heat, which makes me cold. But my skin is cold to the touch, even icy.

I'm scared to see if the thawed ham is edible. DH didn't want to cook it and it's been thawed a week or so at this point. He doesn't cook much, if only once a week. He puts pre-made fried foods in the oven and eats that. No home cooking unless I do it. ::

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by rujerro View Post
    Martha- What a day ! Sorry about the tea and k-cups. At least your DH was willing to drink decaf. I don't know how old you are, but my sister says she thinks she has the menopausal night sweats. I told her that I'm waiting for that (we are the same age) and right now, I'm wearing 5 layers to work! I am so cold all the time! DH claims I'm giving off too much heat, which makes me cold. But my skin is cold to the touch, even icy.

I'm scared to see if the thawed ham is edible. DH didn't want to cook it and it's been thawed a week or so at this point. He doesn't cook much, if only once a week. He puts pre-made fried foods in the oven and eats that. No home cooking unless I do it. ::
    lol thanks I have done worse things in an allergy haze money wise. like I now have an ancestry membership! at full price! because I forgot. no sign of menopause here yet. so tired of this my friend who is 6 days older says the same thing. should be a switch you can turn off. the ham should be ok you can smell it if it is off.

no big plans only up for a short time yet wish I was asleep. ds has the only friend who is up early on purpose and perky for a teen. at my doorstop before 8 nagging kids..ds put out ice wrappers in the recycling bin so raccoons.. so got to clean that up. dd is running late for the bus again new pattern. me and my coffee shortly. and the cats before they settle down.

throwing all the stuff in the crockpot for stew. laundry , housework , craft projects. the usual don't have to go anywhere. more allergies. watch my cozy mysteries. got free loaf cakes almost 3 whole ones that the ds friend ate playing games here plus ice cream and chips. will have to do costco runs for cheaper food think on a weekly basis.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're stripping the popcorn ceiling out of the master bath and priming and painting ourselves to save money.

I neglected to buy roller covers for the 3" rollers, so I frugally cut a 9" cover into 3 pieces to use instead.

We didn't have scrapers we needed for the ceiling, so I took an unused plastic tool and cut into 4 various size pieces to use. That worked fine.

I sprouted radish seeds to eat and they are so good! They have a nice radish flavor. I will be using sprouts more now that I know, especially when radishes are so ridiculously expensive. They will go great in salads and sandwiches. Sprouts are so darn easy to grow, I always feel stupid for not growing them more often.

My sprouter is a vintage Pyrex type which I see is selling on eBay for around $50. I don't see why, but whatever. The box it came in had a rummage sale tag marked $3, but I'm pretty sure I got it half price. I've had it a while but never used it, and have found I like it a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

4/11 put 10 cups of chopped white onions in freezer today got them yesterday $1.00 a bag don't know why they were marked down that cheap.Cleaning my deep fryer that and chopping onions is two jobs i don't like so trying get both done same day.Along with few other things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Vintage Pyrex are going for big bucks at the auctions and garage sales.

SD you are brave to tackle that popcorn ceiling....it makes a mess doesn't it??? we have it in our house and I hate it but decided I would live with it as don't want to mess with it.

Went to an open house for the food pantry I support. This director is a go getter and they have gone from a tiny building to a beautiful building with showers, full kitchen, lots of room......Will be cooking for the homeless once a month. Looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read about lining the entire room with drop cloths and just bundling up the whole mess and tossing it instead of doing so much cleanup. I'm going to try that. I also read about a method that scrapes the popcorn while it's dry. That leaves a textured "orange peel" finish but not the spikey popcorn. That might be nice for the bedrooms and lots less work. It could still be painted and cleaned. Supposedly it goes fast and we would not have to sand the drywall seams. We can try it on part of the bathroom we're working on and see how we like it. What I hate most about the popcorn is how it falls off at the slightest touch.

The mess wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There isn't much dust because the popcorn is wet. We've only done a small section, so my opinion might change, but so far it seems like the job is more about time than mess or effort.