2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 36
Page 36 of 108 FirstFirst ... 26333435363738394686 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stay safe, GB. I think tornadoes are among the scariest storms. Everything else but wildfires generally has some lead time so you can prepare or get out.

I priced a similar window to the one I plan to install in our gh. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $3 for mine. In the store it would cost about $75. I'm happy about that deal all day long. I spent about $15 for one piece of the plex I'm putting in the window and $2 for the other, but the total cost is still a bargain.

I got all the stuff to build my fresh water transfer system. No frugalness there. I did save about $7 in total on the wire and hose, which were on a closeout for $10 each. I think total cost was around $30 for parts and $60 for the water pump which we bought years ago. It will be worth it not to have to lift heavy water tanks anymore.

Menards had shrimp in 2 lb bags for $10, which is cheap here compared with regular price locally at $8/lb. I bought 10 bags, which should last us a year. For once, our timing was right, and the weather was cold enough for the shrimp to stay frozen during our one hour drive home.

I saved by not going to JA at all. I had a list, but didn't really need anything and wasn't in the mood.

Didn't buy much at Aldi and stuck close to the list for a change.

Bought very little at the thrifts, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GB you are having a dreadful week, glad everything going OK so far.
    I'm making a large pot of jambalaya w/ various leftovers. I'll freeze some for lunches later. We had free breakfast items at work due to a meeting today, I ate too many.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yikes hope nothing happens gb!! spirited I have a bunch of old windows for a greenhouse too one day.

sunny here allergies still but got some reactine yesterday the best for ds and me. still puts me to sleep at night but at least works. ran errands forgot to do the one thing I was at the mall for ..finish signing papers. so tomorrow. shopped safeway deals again since needed basics. and they had a bunch of 50% off stuff. w my mom. got some snacks for ds and friends over today. the usual housework etc. watched a couple of my hallmark movies on pvr in between.

no one ate the taco meat so that plus using up the rest of the jarred pasta sauce over frozen burritos w the defrosted italian sausage for dinner. taco and leftovers will be boys dinner tomorrow since I am out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to build a gh too, so I was buying cheap windows. But then we found a 10x12 greenhouse with lots of extras at a rummage sale for $100. The sellers even helped us take it down and loaned us their trailer to bring it home. Really nice people. We salvaged enough composite decking at the dump to cover 2/3 of the floor, which saved a lot. I salvaged a vintage
    double washtub for mixing soil and potting stuff, and a bunch of other stuff, too. I've had good luck finding stuff to furnish my gh on the cheap.

I digress. I have a good assortment of windows, but only 1 that will work. I'm tickled it's also the only one that's new and in perfect shape. I wish the weather would warm up so I could work on the project. Like I have nothing else to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I strapped together 2 unused weighted lamp bases to get a base heavy enough for an articulated magnifying lamp I need on my work table. I bought a cotter pin so I could combine 2 small pipes, one inside the other, that the lamp end slips into. I made a strap from stash items to hold the bases together. Total cost for the project was 29 cents for the cotter pin and $2.50 for an LED bulb. A new magnifier light was at least $20 and had a plastic lens, not glass like mine. My 'new' lamp looks sorta funny but I'm very happy with it. It won't tip and should serve my needs well for almost no cost.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190502_170300_1556838433943.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great job on the lamp!

Same old, same old here. I had DH make a dinner for himself tonight and I made a vegan dish for myself. Since both of these meals should feed us each for 3-4 meals it's a win for both of us. I think we are going to start doing this more. The only money spent today was picking up some cards at Dollar Tree for .50 a piece.

It has been so cold here, 48 degrees today. I have a picture still on my phone from last year taken with my former foster dog and I on May 5th and I'm wearing shorts and a tee!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD- That lamp looks sturdy! Good job!

Beautiful day for planting. I got 5 plants- 3 spearmint & 2 thyme for 99 cents each on clearance. I put them in the wine barrel in front of the house. My aunt used to plant mint in her flower windowsill buckets and it smelled heavenly. I've never planted them before but understand they're easy. I added Miracle Gro to help them along....

My BP was an insane number yesterday by machine at the MD's office and I had him take it manually as well. I have never had anything close to that. He recommended meds but I told him that I would check it daily for 2 weeks. Today was way better and tomorrow will be at Walgreens for another check. I'll go to Walgreens daily and he wants the report!
    I had 7 vials of blood drawn and know changes are coming. Doc increased some meds and is waiting for a report to do another increase. I told the nurse that I do pass out and she said that's not allowed. Luckily, it was a good day...I do pass out from severe pain (or it feels severe) and my aunt did that. The nurse's son does that, too....

I took down the towel bar in the bathroom and put huge towel hooks in its place. The towel hooks covered up the large circles that were there from the bar. DH said he thought I would put up smaller hooks and originally, I wanted to. But that would then require spackle/mud, paint and more work. So bigger hooks were the answer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is a good price spirited..here they want so much for them like 600 used..same as sheds and they want you do take apart.

I would want to pass out from severe pain too . at least you aren't feeling it. I have mint in a couple of places. shopped again. 60 bucks later ..just doesn't seem to go down. but got everything needed for the next few days. picked up my mom and dropped off the cookies I got my sister. have a lot of dvds from the library so lots of watching to do over the next few days. stan and ollie, mary queen of scotland, if beale street could talk..and more. found a swanson dinner for the kids so dd had that and ds leftovers. dh went out w friend. got furnace filters and new shoes before his others really wore out for work like really bad....a first ! so had to tease him he doesn't like to shop for clothes or shoes.

yoga tomorrow, want to go to museum event. a new lego display.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The weather is weird here. A few days ago it was 70 F during the day, but below freezing last night, and only 40 F this afternoon.

I went hiking in a forest next to a beach with my mom and her dogs today. We were almost back in the car before it started raining.

2019 Frugal Challenge-img_20190504_153528719_hdr-2-800x600.jpg

My stupid cat is trying to sit on my face as I write this post on my phone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It’s 74 years ago the German WW2 troops in Denmark surrendered today. The day is still celebrated with lighting candles in the windows. Black out curtains were mandatory during the war. The Germans wanted to make it difficult for the Allies’ planes to navigate during the night.

My granddad, who was a kid back then, told me somebody once reprimanded his family because a sliver of light could be seen through their window one night.

On May 4th 1945 at 8.36 pm it was broadcasted on BBC (which was banned, but popular since it was one of few sources of news not controlled by the Nazis) that the German troops surrendered in Denmark, the Netherlands and Nothern Germany. People partied in the streets, burned their black out curtains, and lit up their homes.

Couldn’t find some info in English but here’s google translate version of the Danish Wikipedia page:

https://translate.google.com/transla...ihedsbudskabet

2019 Frugal Challenge-img_20190504_212523371-600x800.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tine, I've thought a lot lately about WWII and things that happened too. The world seems on the same path that led to WWII now and it's a terrifying thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greenhouses like ours go for about $600 on sale from the store, but don't come with any extras. I priced the heavy timbers our greenhouse sits on, and which the PO included, at over $200 new. We had talked about a gh for several years and when we stumbled on the gh for just $100, it was an easy decision. The seller showed it to us and I started asking if we could buy the tables and all the other stuff inside too, and was shocked when he said it was all included, right down to pots, planting tools, dirt, and other stuff. I still can't believe it. We salvaged 2/3 of the decking for the floor but bought lumber to frame it plus the remaining decking it needed, and picked up a few things we wanted for it. Mostly we're using salvaged stuff. All told, we have less than $500 in the gh, mostly for the floor and steps and the gh itself. Not counting dirt.

I got the plex swapped into the new window panes for the gh, so the hard part of the window mod is done. The first pane was a real pain and took forever, the second one cooperated and just took a few minutes. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I hope to get 2 of the 3 new panels cut and installed. We'll see how it goes, but I'm encouraged. The modified window will be so lightweight it shouldn't be a problem for the flimsy wall framing to support it. It was just too heavy with real glass in it.

Husby finished the cinder block garden bed so that's progress. Still have to fill it with dirt. Total cost was about $6, not counting dirt and mulch. It's going to be so nice to have dedicated space for our snap peas and green beans. We usually do well with those and can't get enough of them in summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful picture Tine! I love that the tradition of lighting candles in the windows still goes on still today. I had never heard this so thanks for sharing that.

I dragged the patio furniture up from the basement. DH had helped me get the table up before his surgery because there is no way for me to do that by myself but the chairs, chaise lounge and small side table are all in there places on the back porch. I didn't put the cushions out yet since the weather is still rainy and cool. I was hoping to wash all the dog blankets and put them away this weekend but it looks like they will need them at least for another week. Took Beastie to the park since the sun was out and it wasn't too bad out today. The trails were too muddy but we walked on the road leading into the park and back. We have been waiting for spring to get rid of our old tv stand. We bought a new one last winter when DH bought a flat screen tv. Our old tv was around 25 years old, huge and sat on the old stand which was about 12 inches high and had glass doors in front. When we put it out by the road with a free sign on it I really thought the garbage men would have to haul it away. It was gone within the first 30 minutes. I don't think we (really the garbage men) will be that lucky when we haul the old tv out there. It is so heavy, I really feel for the garbage men who have to pick it up.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tine - Thank you for the historical information.

SD - I agree that the current events taking place are very worrisome.

It's been a while since I've posted. Life has been crazy thanks to my kids and hopefully things will calm down soon.

Hubby built a chicken coop and last week we bought 30 Rhode Island Red chicks. One died but the rest are doing great.

Our garden is doing great! We have all kinds of things growing and we had about 6 hours of rain today.

Last week I pulled $ out of savings and put it on the Ohio house. I now have $8,500 to go. I'm so excited!! I know I shouldn't have less than a 6 month EF but I really want that house paid for and saving 6.7% in interest is better than earning 2.1%.

I found an old snowball budget from 2012. I have come a long way! I have paid off $200,177.86 in debt over the last 6 years and 10 months. Medical bills, student loans, paid down on mortgages, Kays CC, Chase CC and a Computer. Of the original debt I'm down to 2 mortgages. and the only new debt is my current house This group has helped me along the journey. I don't know I could of done it if I hadn't found Frugal Village.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, we have elections for both the EU and the parliament coming up in the next month and it’s already going crazy. There’s a new political party called Hard Line. It only have a single goal: Banning Islam in Denmark.

Denmark must deport every non-Western person who has received asylum and is not a native-born citizen of one Denmark's neighboring countries. Denmark must deport every non-Western person who isn't a Danish citizen. For non-Westerners with temporary visas, the visa will not be renewed. Non-Westerners with permanent legal status should also have their status revoked and be deported.

Foreigners who have received Danish citizenship by the legal naturalization process should have their citizenship reevaluated, with the assumption that it will be annulled. Foreigners who have received asylum in Danmark, should of course be deported immediately, given that the foundation for asylum is no longer valid. This applies to their offspring, as well. Thus, deportations to Bosnia and Kosovo obviously must begin immediately.

Every person without legal status in Denmark shall be interned until they can be deported. Individuals who lack legal status while they wait for response to a visa application will be deported while the case is under review. If deportation isn't possible, the applicant should be interned while the application is reviewed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Line_(party)
    The founder keeps demonstrating in the streets in the Copenhagen neighborhood with the largest Muslim population. He is succeeding in pissing off some Muslims who reciprocate with vandalism like burning cars. It’s a crafty strategy. It’s exactly the reaction the founder wants from them to further his cause.

It scares the shit out of me that so many people supports the party. Polls say they might get enough votes to win seats in the parliament.