2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 37
Page 37 of 108 FirstFirst ... 27343536373839404787 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, that's scary. I always wonder why so few people seem to be born with or learn common sense.
    Rainy here today. Yesterday I cleaned at dad's house and gave niece's dog a bath. It was a short once since my first time bathing her and she complained a lot. Much faster washing a small 10 lb dog than the size I am used to. She still smells about the same. Today I'll be cleaning, sewing and baking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tine, scary times all over.

Hey, LL, I was thinking of you yesterday and wondering where and how you are. Glad to hear all is well.

Today we plan to fill the new raised bed with dirt. I hope we have enough. We're going to use the dirt we have from old pots of stuff and mix it with compost and some vermiculite or something. Can't temember exactly what we have now. Anyway, the project should be mostly done today. We still have to buy mulch. I have some old storm windows that can lay over the garden, so I'm hoping we will be able to extend the growing season a little.

We should get a start on the gh window project, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

had fun yesterday, saw lego display, we got local honey since we were out that way. at least we know it is real honey too. and good prices. got free comic books from one store since free comic book day. plan to send them with other books. got my hanging baskets and pots plus a basket for my mom for mothers day. way cheaper not retail costs. dh friend cancelled so he took lilacs over to his mom and to have a visit. He said he hasn't for a while because normally he is there fixing something on the way of doing something or in between stuff so short ones. told him cus he can be there 5 times a week fixing the tv etc. (he talks to her 2x a day too) at least he is going to order her the senior remote so she stops screwing up the tv. half the time I think she does it for attention. cus all it takes is a day without tv and she fixes it or it stops for a few days. because sometimes we just aren't around..in the states etc. there is others there who can help her too. sil won't come out and help. mil does do that at her stage..acts about 5yrs old at times.

dh is off to met the tow truck guy $90 to tow my car. good deal for here. need to go to other library for holds and drop offs. plus missed postman delivery so have to get package. easy dinner just put pork roast and veggies on to cook. dh got bread and creamo..bought choc milk because on sale..said do you want to see it when you come back..yes..then hide it behind the reg milk lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - I've poked my head in from time to time to stalk but no real time to post.

Today we went grocery shopping. Beyond the essentials we bought 3 discount beef roasts, 40% off. We also found Tupperware, 50% off. We bought a bunch of theme for lo and to pack work lunches/salads. Ours seems to walk off.

I blanched and dehydrated carrots. They will be used in vegetable soup. Also powdered garlic and onion that I dehydrated form a crab boil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why do I bother to plan? I ended up reattaching the driver's door pocket in the van, which had partially broken off because Husby insisted it was a great place to store heavy tools. Argh! The broken pocket caught on the door frame every time the door was opened, so it was a constant annoyance that made it hard to get in and out of the van. I'm surprised the whole section didn't break off. It's been that way for well over a year. Silly me, I thought Husby would fix it. Anyway, it's done now and that's a relief. The repair was done with stuff on hand so no cost.

I got the gh window cleaned uo and reassembled so it's ready to install. I also got the 2 new panels cut and assembled for the gh window project. We had replaced 2 panels last year, which had to be angle cut at the top. I saved the scraps, which of course had angle cuts, too. Today's panels needed to be longer than the new materials I bought and needed to be the same angle at the top, so I used the scraps from last year to avoid cutting a whole 8 foot panel for a couple little pieces. It saved time, too.

The 2 new panels on either side of the window are installed now, but due to the time it took to fix the van door, nothing was done with the garden dirt. I'm hoping for tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Livin Large- Glad you're able to raise chickens! Believe it or not, our HOA allows chickens and roosters. Our homes are 8 feet apart and do not have yards greater than 5000sq feet (with house on top of that footage). WOW, great job on paying off that debt!!

Tine- Denmark sounds nice. I hope to visit one day.

Ran errands today. DS2 had his card league. DS1 may take up archery and competitions again. Finals are coming up at college and the nervousness is setting in. Of course, trying to figure out how many questions can be answered incorrectly in order to still have a grade of B is also setting in. :: Our response was to do the best that you can! sheesh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another round of rain this week. I had to replace 5 tomato plants that didn’t survive so much water. Also planted oregano and more sage. Working at the soup kitchen today. No telling what I will bring home. Got to put up more beet greens this afternoon. Dinner tonight is going to be sautéed chard and salmon. Don’t know what else. One of the cables on our garage door broke. Always something to fix.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are back from our vacation in Costa Rica. It is a wonderful country and we would not hesitate to go back. It is always eye opening to see how the rest of the world lives. I can share pics if anyone is interested.

Spent yesterday cleaning house, mowing the yard, doing laundry etc, generally catching up. Our indoor kitties are fine, the ferals seem to have moved on. I am hoping, now that we are back and putting food out, they will come back at least so I can see they are alive and doing well. DH says one of the "kittens" (1 yr old now) showed up this morning.

Going to do a little shopping. Want to get a couple dozen eggs on sale @ .88, and the hardware store is advertising .99 geraniums. Want to get some ground beef at the butcher shop. We have been eating 'native', lots of rice, beans, fish, plantain, and fruit, and we're in the mood for some burgers.

As expected most of my seedlings did not survive. And a number did not germinate at all. I replanted yesterday and am going to the community garden to see what they have left. Plant Day was over a week ago, and we were on vacation. We brought back cocoa seeds, the kind that make chocolate, and want to see if we can grow them. I doubt we'll get a harvest, but it will be fun to try and see what happens. I also need to get out and weed the garden before it gets completely out of control. I only got mulch down on about half of it before we left on our trip.

It has been stormy here. They had some severe ones last week with flooding. Our immediate area is well, but many others not so lucky. We had more last night and are being told to expect rain every day this week. It is sunny now, but I don't know how long it will last.

Hope every one has a good day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice to see you back posting CH! Costa Rica sounds wonderful and I do hope you post some pictures, I know we all would love to see them.

Rainy here too, looks like rain for the next 3 days. Some areas around have severe flooding but we just have a wet/muddy yard. DH cut the lawn yesterday to help dry it out, I swear there was waves in the water as he was driving through it. Beastie then decided that it would be really fun to roll around in the muddy water. Yuck. I am getting really tired of cleaning dogs off.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found impatiens and coleus seeds in a drawer yesterday. May be too late but I will direct sow outside and see what happens. There is a lot of weeding to do from all the rain. I hope it doesn't rain all summer like last year.
    Leftover pasta, ham & cheese casserole for supper.
    I am having more scrap-buster ideas -- another lanyard for a friend at work who keeps losing her access card, maybe a fabric dog leash, some fabric coasters for dad's house. Could use some more potholders at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great to see you back, CH! This place isn't the same without you posting. I'd love to see pics of Costa Rica.

I started working on the gh window this AM but then some white crap started falling from the sky. On May 6. Ugh. So we tidied up the gh instead since it needed it and since it was in the 60s in there and 30s outside. It's looking good in the gh now. We added some steel bed rails under the big table we have in there, set a couple big chrome shelves that came with the gh on the rails, zip tied everything together, and got a handy new shelf under the table for free in less than 10 minutes. I also decided we need table space more than floor space in there, so I moved two 2x4 tables that were side by side so they're back to back to form a 4x4 table. There's still plenty of space to walk, and room to add another 2x3 table as soon as I get around to building it. We also have two more 2x4 shelves that I plan to add under the new 4x4 table, which will add close to 16 sf of storage, plus the 12 sf we added today. That's a lot! It will be a big help for storing empty pots.

Yesterday Husby cut off the damaged legs of some steel shelving we salvaged a while back. The bottoms of the legs and most of the bottom shelf had rusted away, so we left the ruined shelf at the dump and finally cut the rusty sections off. Today we added back the spare shelf and repaired legs to the top half of the shelving, so we added that storage to the gh for free. I rounded up small fridge drawers to use on the shelves to better organize, free from salvage.

Things are coming together nicely in there, and none of it is costing anything.

Can't wait to get the window in. The weather nerds are promising sunny and 50s tomorrow which would be helpful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - I bet Costa Rica was beautiful! I was there 10 years ago and it was amazing!

Took lo to work for lunch, no extra driving and no spending.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made a haul at soup kitchen today. Brought home a ton of apples, green peppers, squash, and zucchini. Going to can applesauce and zucchini relish tomorrow. Also putting up more beet greens and Swiss chard in the freezer. I am exhausted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brownies in the oven to take to a friend. Gotta go to the post office and Bed, Bath, and Beyond to use a gift certificate I got when I bought my new coffee maker. Canning today all the stuff I got free yesterday. Going to be busy. Hope I hold out.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last nights rain is clearing off, should be a beautiful day with more storms tonight. I have errands to run. The fridge got a much needed clean out before and after our trip, so I am playing catch-up and continuing to restock. I need to get some celery today and DH asked for fruit.

BIL is home from the hospital. We did not know what was going on but it turns out he has hypertension, which is an issue, but a treatable one, and not as serious as we had feared.

Costa Rica is a lovely country and not one you hear much about, unlike its neighbors Colombia and Nicaragua, because the CR government disbanded the military and pours the money into public education and the people are generally happy and well. The country is very small, a little larger than some east coast states, less than half the size of western states. It is difficult to get around because they have no highway system like we do, and much of the land is mountains with narrow twisty roads. Agriculture is a primary driver in the economy, as is tourism.

It is the end of the dry season, as you can tell. Here are some cows in a field, note the chunks of volcano spewn rock.

2019 Frugal Challenge-20190426_133924.jpg

Most people live very simply.

2019 Frugal Challenge-20190427_120521.jpg

As you get into the mountains it gets greener.

2019 Frugal Challenge-20190426_135451.jpg

View of a volcano from our room, overlooking a small orchard. Tropical fruit is a very big commodity here. We saw many fruit stands along the roads.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190426_161228.jpg

I will post more later.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown