2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 39
Page 39 of 108 FirstFirst ... 29363738394041424989 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks he took the cone off again a couple of times so had to tie it more around his body. goes for the stitches. other cats think he is an alien. so not happy but he is passed out on my chest now sleeping. my excuse not to do anything.

lovely pools ch! yummy looking food too. getting ds to return dvds to library because due and some we didn't watch but you only have x amount of time. have dd last art class today so that is most of my day. dishwasher did the dishes laundry in the dryer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, could you use a collar for the cone? That is what I use now but I don't know if your kitten is too smart for that!

peg, glad the flooding has stopped. Too much of that going on in the country right now.

SD, your going to have a bountiful of veggies this year!

CH, I'm glad that the rains held off until your last day. The pool looks so nice, I bet it was relaxing.

Work today, tired now and not much energy. Had to call the hospital when I got home and deal with the ongoing review of our bill. They want to bill us for PT at the hospital, the physical therapist came in, talked to DH for 2 minutes and helped him to the bathroom. They are trying to charge us for therapy. He was wearing a sling the entire time he was there, how could they have done therapy?! Grrrr. Thank goodness I have some frozen pizza in the freezer, that is all I'm up for tonight.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice weather (was expecting rain) but I don't feel up to a 4th evening of yard work, so sewing instead. Trying ricotta mashed potatoes since got both things on sale Sunday. I may bake another batch of choc chip bar cookies, put them in the freezer this time!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - beautiful pictures, brings back a lot of memories.

Supposed to rain all weekend. Not sure what I have planned yet. House needs some serious cleaning, need to make some calls to have the central air checked, need to have the house sprayed for termite prevention, need water/electric/sewage installed so we can hook up the camper a friend is renting and living in...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cold and cloudy.Enough already. Just reading and a haircut today. Nothing else.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cloudy and cool today, but dry. I have endless yard work to do. Bought a new hoe the other day, our old one died last year. Need to go chop up weeds in the vegetable garden while the ground is nice and soft.

DH has my car while his is in the shop, so I am home all day. Not that I needed to go anywhere important. I have papers to file, some more flowers to pot up, and laundry to keep me busy.

All the feral cats have come around this week, I am happy to see they are doing well. The kittens are a year old now and they more or less live here, the others come and go at meal times.

Looks like spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, with salad. I will go through the grocery ads and make a shopping list.

After our time in the mountains of Costa Rica, we moved to the beach for a few days. This meant a drive through the more arid region of the country.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190429_120211.jpg

Our second hotel was right on the water. This particular area is not heavily developed, though there are a lot of homes and hotels right on the beach it is not theme-park touristy, still very rustic and quiet. This was the view at breakfast from the open air dining room. We would eat our fruit and coffee and watch birds, see iguanas come down out of the trees, and laugh at the next door neighbor's chickens that would come over looking for food.

2019 Frugal Challenge-20190429_143639.jpg

Typical native breakfast: beans n rice, plantain, eggs, sausage, a small tortilla, home made cheese and mayo. This came with fresh orange juice and coffee.

2019 Frugal Challenge-20190430_083514.jpg

This was our beach home for 4 days. So clean, and we loved having the shade in the afternoons. Since it is a public beach we often shared it with locals. One day was a holiday and there were many families having cookouts on the sand, with their kids playing in the surf.

2019 Frugal Challenge-20190429_152759.jpg

One evening we took a "romantic sunset cruise" around the bay. We were taken to a small beach where we could walk, sun or snorkel. It was a bit too cloudy to sun, so we chose to snorkel. There was also a small volcanic cave we could enter, about 25 ft deep. After that we waited for the sun to set.

Name:  IMG_20190430_183541896.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  46.1 KB

There's so much more to tell, but I don't want to bore you. It was a great vacation and we would not hesitate to go again. We felt completely comfortable and safe there, the people were nice, and we felt like we were really seeing the country and not in a tourist park.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, CH, what an incredible trip. I can see why you enjoyed it so much. Glad your ferals are home again.

It was 36 degrees here when I went out to work this morning. At least the ice is off the lake. Fishing opener is tomorrow. You can imagine how busy this weekend will be in a state with about 15,000 lakes.

We got the new garden trellises put up, so that garden is all done except mulch. I like it a lot. I will plant next week.

I needed a container to hold plant stakes, so I took a scrap of 6" PVC and squared off the ends, then cut a disc from a wood scrap and screwed that into the bottom of the PVC. Free storage tube and a small footprint in my gh.

I also used a scrap of 1x2, put 5 nails into it, and attached it to the end of the steel shelves in the gh to use for hanging a broom, dustpan, and other small items. Very handy and cuts down on the clutter.

I sorted through most of the pile of salvaged stuff and put it away. I trashed some and pulled out some salvaged lumber I thought was PT but it's not. We will use it to make a platform to store things in the garage rafters, so it was still worth dragging home, free. Husby pulled out all the old nails so the boards are prepared for installation.

We attempted to put a new roof panel in, but even though it looks like it should fit, it won't. We can't use the corrugated fiberglass we wanted to, but we can use polycarbonate for about the same price. We're trying to decide if we should replace the entire roof now and get it over with, since it's such a PITA to deal with and also a pain to get it home from 50 miles away.

I tightened up all the joints on the wobbly table frame I salvaged last year, then attached a plywood cabinet door, also salvaged, so the table has a top again. Now it's sturdy enough to hold the box fan if we need it to exhaust hot air out of the gh. Free except for about 20 screws. I might paint it someday but it's not a priority.

It feels great to be getting some of this stuff done, big or small. Getting it done for free is even better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, bore us?!! I love hearing about your trip and seeing the pictures. The beach has got to be my favorite, I can imagine me not wanting to leave.
    Glad your feral cats are back and thank you for taking care of animals most people wouldn't even care about.

DH went to work today, the first time in 7 weeks. He's only supposed to work part-time if at all right now but they have had him work a 8 hour day. For DH's work though, that is part-time. I just hope he didn't overdo it. It is supposed to be a cooler weekend with frost expected tomorrow morning. Usually this is the weekend we buy our outside plants but I haven't even been thinking of planting since the weather has been so cold and rainy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a coupon from the grocery store for $4 off coffee, and I needed coffee, so I went, not knowing what the regular price was. Well, it was $4.99! So I got it for 99 cents (11 oz). I knew I would need more than that, so I looked around and found a 40 oz bag of good coffee (Arabica, Colombian) for $3.60 a pound ( I always check unit price). I wanted to get some for the place I volunteer too, they always need coffee to serve there. I was surprised to find the 40 oz bag (brand - Harmony Bay) was cheaper per pound than even the crappy stuff in the plastic canisters, even the house brand. So I bought an extra bag for them.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

never boring ch! love the pictures. you get a lot of food for breakfast! the mayo don't know why but hey grew up with mayo w french fries since my parents are dutch so that is what we use. good buy on coffee! Rabbit I have tried both ways with him.. just all that soft fur slides off. we do take it off for a while so he can eat and be comfortable but then after about 20mins he is going for the site so back in the cone.

we are having a heat wave here esp for spring. summer weather already..75 to 85 even night only down to 50s. was teasing my friend what you don't have the pool open? of course it happens every year but always heart breaking.. someone left their 16mth old child in the car all day yesterday so it died. no other news yet. so many warning already about not leaving kids and pets in car because of the heat.

visited w friends, did a bit of bookkeeping work. safeway and bakery. $65 out there. but got a couple of half price deals half price pizza pops 30 for $10 instead of 20 told ds doesn't get eaten in a couple of days. frozen dinner roll dough half price some ice cream for kids. plus reg stuff. my friend gave me her leftover dry cat food and litter since her cat disappeared. dd wanted to go to library so waited til she got home ..so many holds.. lots of things to read plus still have the other library. so many new cozy mysteries.

ate some ice cream I had bought for me months ago but forgot about it. rumbles at library was going to get dh get gas pills ..nope made a quick stop had my brand on sale hard to find. $21 later for a couple of packs. back home..well threw it out because me and the bathroom are friends tonight. poor kitten wanted snuggles but called dd because couldn't have him sleeping on me while I had to run quick to bathroom. no idea for dinner told kids if they want wonton soup fine but they have to go get it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Taking care of dad today. I'm getting breaded chicken patties to put in the oven. Have leftover mashed potatoes. I think he would eat that. I left paperback books there for myself & anyone to read. Probably do more cleaning also. At least that would be some "exercise".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - share all the pictures and stories you want. I enjoy hearing about your trip.

Walfart had strawberries for $1.50/#. I bought 14# and I made jam with 12#, 19 half pints, $1 each because I use less than 1/2 the sugar and no pectin.

I picked squash blossoms this morning and I'll be frying them to go with whatever we are having for supper.

I ordered 1# of ground celery seed (less than $13 with s&h) so I can make my own celery salt. 1 part ground celery seed and 2 parts salt. So 3# for $14, a savings of $50.

Unfortunately I spent the nice part of the day in the house and now it is pouring and storming. Guess I'll have to do the housework I've ben putting off.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is cloudy and cool with spots of rain. We spent a couple hours hanging out with friends. I skipped grocery shopping today and will try tomorrow while everyone is taking their mom to brunch. Got a couple coupons and there are some weekend only sales I want to get. Strawberries are 1.88 for 2lbs. The plain bagged salad DH likes for lunch is .99.

Leftover burgers for dinner tonight, and tomorrow is a potluck dinner. I'll have to think about what to take. Normally this time of year we're all bringing salads, but with temps dropping into the 40's again tonight I may want a hot dish.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH- What beautiful photos. Those pools are so gorgeous and nibs are the best!

Martha- Kitty looks upset Also looks like he is just tolerating that cone..for now. I hope he's a fast healer so he can curl up on you!

Ran errands but I was tired today. I didn't take my mega B-12 vitamins in 2 days so I'm sure that was it. Took it tonite. I was going to make dinner but only boiled pasta. I went to a Japanese bakery and got a loaf of "milk bread" and a palm sized "sponge cake." The bread was very soft and reminded me of Wonder bread, but no holes. The cake was not sweet and tasted like a egg batter.

DS2 had a final exam and isn't confident about it. I hope his final grade is still good.

We've been having very cold rains lately. The thyme and spearmint may be waterlogged. I hope the weather dries out soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since I like to practice worst first, as far as household chores go, I gave the dogs a bath first thing yesterday morning. All that bending over hurt my back so I ended up spending the day reading in bed. I don't think it got out of the 40's yesterday so not the worst thing but it is hard for me to do nothing all day. Going to my moms later.

Happy Mothers Day!