2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 43
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey all!
    My frugal plan for the day, after getting home rom the parade, is to start listing items online for sale. I'm at the point where I need to price tings to sell and not worry so much about making too much from them. Any little bit helps, and I just want stuff out of the house!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hooray - yard mess gone from the street when I got home from dad's. Big thunderstorm to the south as I was driving home but it missed me. Tomorrow I need to get the house cleaned up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jo- Thanks for the tip! I always wondered if a tiny charger could drain a big battery....Wow

My sis and niece are with us and having a great time. I wasn't sure they would like some activities that we planned but they did. DS1 wasn't too impressed, though. Oh well.

When I was younger, I always wore underwires,even to bed. When I got older, I started wearing no wires. Finding cute ones were difficult so I resorted to sports bras. I found no wires on the Hanes site and usually order from them. Honestly, I hate a lot of padding too, unless I feel I need it. It's tough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I helped my brother move out of his apartment and split his things between my building's garage and out parents' homes yesterday. He gets his new apartment on 6/14 and didn't have much. He's staying with our mom until then.

The EU Parliament election is today. I haven't used my bike in more than a year and wonder if the tires are okay or I'll have to walk about a mile in the rain to the polling place.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ru, batteries lose power just sitting around, even if they're not connected to anything. We check our deep cycle RV batteries periodically when they're in winter storage and keep them fully charged. It's not good to let them fully discharge. In a car the battery is always discharging because things like the digital clock are always drawing current. If a car is driven frequently, the alternator recharges the battery, but if the car sits for weeks (or less, if it's really cold), the battery will lose too much power and not have enough left to turn the engine over to start the car.

We're reverting to the arrangement we had the first 6 years we had our camper, which is 2 beds, no dinette. I modified the bigger stock bed into an oversized king bed last year and we got the dinette back. We liked the bed and dinette, but the camper is small and the space taken up by changing the bed caused a major loss in functionality. Because of changing back, I'm remaking all the bedding. I have to piece things together so I'm reusing the old bedding instead of buying new. I will be actively looking for new bedspreads though, at thrifts and garage sales. I expect to find something nice for cheap, because if I'm patient, I always do.

The AC guy stopped by and thinks he may be able to fix our heat pump so we might not have to replace it. *fingers crossed* He said he will not charge us for trying.

We like the falafel mix recipe I found online, so will be able to save money by having another vegetarian meal now and then. It's also a quick, easy meal so less need to buy unhealthy junk food. I think I paid about $1.30/lb for dry chickpeas last week, which I grind to make flour to make the falafel. That makes about 2 batches of falafel using common seasonings I always have on hand, so that's much cheaper than meat.

We stopped by the grocery store for milk right at suppertime when we were hungry. Usually that results in a big bill. We ended up buying a big baking potato for .77 and adding other ingredients we had at home for a cheap, quick meal. Also picked up 2 large tubs of yogurt for .99 each, and divided those into about a dozen small containers so it could be frozen in single servings. It was outdated and freezing stopped the clock so it didn't have to be eaten right away, plus the small containers provide automatic portion control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After keeping me up half the night watching movies, the boys went home today. I love having them here but I get nothing done! I don't mind though, they'll remember when they get older that when they came they had my complete attention. At least I hope! We got the garden in today, it was looking iffy with the weather but it's all done. Weeded, turned over, compost/manure added, vegetables planted and new fencing put up. We also dug out the last remaining old bushes in the front flower beds. We started this a year and a half ago and have been dragging our feet to finish so it was nice to have that done. It looks so cleaned up now. After a job well done we had a drink on the back porch, it's starting to feel like summer.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH was going to try some yard work today, but it rained overnight. The grass won't get mowed but some bushes might get trimmed.

I need to make a grocery run, we are nearly out of cat food. I may pick up some weekend sale items if there's anything left on the shelves. Peaches are on sale for .99lb, too.

Leftover bbq for lunch, chicken and zucchini for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Listed some little boy shoes online to sell and baked a batch of cookies with DS8. We are heading to a bbq with friends later, and are bringing appetizers. Used the $25 we won at the local grocery store contest to buy the cheese and crackers. Got a ton of laundry done so far, as well. Overall, a good day. Fingers crossed I'm not speaking too soon, as it's only 11:49 am.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy- I thought the same thing today- list stuff on ebay. I've been trying throughout the year and if it doesn't sell, it gets donated. I try to be mindful of what I buy, so it doesn't get listed at some point! Congrats on the grocery card win!

I made banana cranberry bread tonight. We ate from the freezer for dinner- chicken pieces/fries/frozen dinner.

DS1 has a birthday today and friends said they would get together with him but didn't. He hoped to go to dinner with them. He got lots of cards with items inside and I'll ask if he wants to go out this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

morning all. well not as hot as yesterday overcast but high humidity so normal. we had the ceiling fan going while we sleep for the first time. going to fitness class...writing so I have to go lol need to go to party city and dollar store for decorations. advancement tonight for guides. need some groceries and library run. plus dig in the basement for stuff for tonight. will see if my mom wants to go along shopping.

still have half the pack of chicken tenders ..that was a really good deal too bad I don't have more. that and nugget potatoes frozen veggies for dinner. housework of course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good thing we ended up cutting the lawn yesterday because it poured overnight and I now have standing water again. Well, we still had some standing water yesterday that we had to cut around but now its way worse. We have always cut the lawn on certain days, this year we just cut whenever the weather lets us.

Worked today and then hit Costco for gas and cat food. Had to stop in at the doctors for my 6 month blood work but lucked out since it was later in the day and the doctors had left so no other patients were there. I think I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. Got home and put together DH's lunch for tomorrow and then finished the last two chapters of my book. Got to the library before they closed to return books and pick up some new ones they had for me. I was talking to the library staff and they were saying that ticks are bad again this year. We haven't seen any yet but the past two years have been really bad. Glad I already got the flea/tick control for the dogs, just have to put it on now. Made a one pot meal for dinner, just wanted something easy since DH is working late tonight.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frugal stuff that I did today.....
    1) DS1 doesn't want to go to dinner for his birthday so we save some $ (although we prefer to take him out)
    2) I took a ham AND a turkey out of the freezer. Whichever one thaws first is the one we cook first.
    3) I listed items on ebay and hope to do more tonight.
    4) Our realtor dropped off a home anniversary gift (fresh flowers in a jar, candles, wine)
    5) I received my bedding order from Macy's that was on clearance- a California king sheet set, 2 pillowcases, 2 shams, a bed skirt and a comforter for $40 including shipping.

I had to go to therapy and the MD and the lab today.....My last lab cost $1900 for bloodwork!! I pay 9% of that bill. That should be in the mail real soon and my mailbox. Yikes

I made beef enchiladas for dinner with thawed beef....DH working a lot and had a sandwich before dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to Duluth yesterday for more retirement paperwork. Hope that's it now.

While we were there we did some shopping, of course, since we don't have any chain stores locally. With one exception, I don't think we bought anything not on our list, which may be a first. We did buy a small cooler which will be a more useful size than the one we've been using since 1980. It was on sale so we saved $5.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, that Macy's sale was a good deal!
    I took the dog to PetSmart to buy treats for a dog event on Saturday. He is so nervous in strange places. However I am pretty sure at the (outside) dog event Saturday he will be fine, except for strange people wanting to pet him. I just can't let them. He loves other dogs, not people. I made 8 dog bandannas to give away (from fabric scraps and actual bandannas.) We will have other handouts and pamphlets. I'm buying snack-size cookie & cracker packs and will give away water. (That is tonight's grocery trip.) This event is near a military base so a fair number of military people stopped by last year. They are not allowed to have pets in military housing, so they like to come and see the dogs and just enjoy the park. Weather looks nice for Saturday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My mom passed away two days after her 97 th birthday. I won’t be on for a few days. Family is coming in. The funeral had to be delayed due to the flooding in OK. Unbelievable flooding and storms. We are bringing her back to Texas to be buried by my father.

Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast