2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 45
Page 45 of 108 FirstFirst ... 35424344454647485595 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DIYed a swivel tie-out system for the camper. We tested it by putting the dogs out on their cables, and it does work. I don't know if it will work perfectly but it should drastically cut down on the dogs' cables being tangled. Constantly having to detangle them means camping is no fun for us. I can't get a good pic of the setup because it hangs under the trailer frame, but the key element is the swivel the snap rings on the cables clip to. When the cables get twisted around each other, and then the dogs pull the cables in opposite directions, the swivel spins, allowing the cables to separate. I found this solution on Pinterest and it's genius. Can't wait to field test it. I forget the cost for the swivel and a screw-together chain link, but I know it was under $10. The strap is from stash and cost basically nothing. It's a bargain if it allows us to enjoy camping again.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190601_134720_1559497781048.jpg

I also used a scrap of webbing and a small ring from stash to make a place to attach the cable snap rings when not in use. That will help keep them from laying in the dirt and grit outside the trailer, and make them a lot more convenient for us when we want to let the dogs out without going out to fetch the cables. Cost was free. Both this item and the swivel setup fit in the storage bag with the cables, so they don't even cost us storage space.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190601_134647_1559497850682.jpg

A couple years ago we salvaged a bird cage for free, and today put it to work protecting our new zucchini plant from whatever eats the blossoms off of it. Hope it works.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190602_115833_1559498297706.jpg

Ate some hamburgers from the freezer last night, dated 2014. How the heck did that happen? They didn't even taste old, surprisingly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're having HM pepperoni pizza for supper, that's probably the only frugal thing today. I decided to keep a set of mom's china (I do not ever recall her using it once), so washed, dried & put away. It's this pattern, 4 of everything + 4 extra dinner plates. No serving pieces.
    https://www.replacements.com/p/centu.../cesaug/544401
    Of course I don't have any yellow table linens so I'm talking myself out of going in search of any. MAYBE would buy some yellow fabric to sew napkins but that's all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are pretty, DLR. I kept my mom's china, too, from her wedding in 1947. Got rid of 2 sets from MIL and her silver, kept Husby's step grandma's silver. Can't keep everything.

Made some progress on the portable shower in the camper using bits and pieces I have around. Most of the parts are from the shower I installed in a bench in the last camper but took out when we sold that. This project has been challenging since I can't attach anything to the ceiling to support the shower curtain or shower head, so I've had to get more creative than usual. But I think I have it all figured out, finally, and should be able to finish it before long.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't keep my produce in the fridge drawers, I need to have it in plain sight so I use it. I use the drawers for LT storage like baking chocolate, nuts, and seltzer cans.

I got some things listed on Ebay today, did some sewing (quilt blocks) and went for a walk.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    We're having HM pepperoni pizza for supper, that's probably the only frugal thing today. I decided to keep a set of mom's china (I do not ever recall her using it once), so washed, dried & put away. It's this pattern, 4 of everything + 4 extra dinner plates. No serving pieces.
    https://www.replacements.com/p/centu.../cesaug/544401
    Of course I don't have any yellow table linens so I'm talking myself out of going in search of any. MAYBE would buy some yellow fabric to sew napkins but that's all.
    that is a pretty pattern I am always fond of yellow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

can't say did much but we got gardening done this weekend guys did the lawn, dug up some stuff for me. I trimmed and weedeated. I do it but the string always breaks and I can't get it out so dh has to be around to fix it for me. dh can't be trusted to use the weed eater on the right plants so works out. ds not happy because I wouldn't let him go to the public pool w his friends since he had his warts burned yesterday. one fell off so open wound. plus getting over cold and dd has it. had the chills yesterday and was in bed in the afternoon.

no idea what is for dinner yet.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cleaned out the fridge drawers, tossed a few things, soft end of a cucumber, squishy half of a red pepper, baby carrots that had grown roots, etc. Found a pack of tortillas "best by 2015". Cleaned out the drawers and the sticky mystery puddle underneath, and DH helped get the ventilation cover off the front so that could get cleaned, too. And he cleaned the floor under the fridge!

So I have a bag of red onions, 3 mangoes, 2 carrots, 2 oranges, 2 grapefruit, 3 apples, a bag of pecans, green onions, celery, several peppers, half a bag of spinach, 1/3 of a cabbage, 1lb of strawberries, 2 cucumbers, half a box of cherry tomatoes, 1lb of green beans, 4 very small potatoes, a piece of ginger, and a bag of sesame seeds. There's also some odds and ends of cold cuts leftover from last week. In case you were wondering how I could have a full fridge and "no food" in it.

Went shopping and bought some cut pineapple off the salad bar, now I can make a fruit salad. Bought a head of lettuce that will be used for chicken lettuce cups, summer rolls(with cucumber), and DH's lunch salad (with cucumber and tomato). Got zucchini and yellow squash, the zucchini gets diced for omelettes, leftover gets mixed with yellow squash for dinner one night. Got a fresh red pepper to get chopped with the other ones, some onion, etc for omelette filing. Also a box of mushrooms, again some for breakfast, some for dinner. I'm going to put the apples into a pie, with a crust I have left over from Thanksgiving. The cabbage and carrots will get made into slaw. Green beans for dinner tonight. That should use most everything over the next ten days.

I have a chem infusion on Friday and need to find a good snack to take. I'll have breakfast, but the process takes ~3 hours, so it will be 1:30 or 2pm when I am done and I will be hungry. We're allowed snacks, but there is a great big sign that says "Allergy Zone -- No nuts allowed". Normally I'd take a Larabar or Kind bar, or almond butter cookie bar.... It needs to be something I can eat while reclining in a chair, with one hand. Something that doesn't crumble into a mess.

Got 45 mins work done in the yard today. Dang mulberries and grapevines grow so fast. I swear I cleared the east fence in march. I didn't get half of it today. Neither of our blessed neighbors tend to the fences we share.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally made a little tool to open and close the greenhouse roof windows, which I can't reach. It's simple but effective and only took a couple of minutes. It's just a PVC pipe with a T fitting on one end and a zip tie hanger loop on the other, but it means I don't have to go fetch Husby to open or close the gh roof anymore. I will glue the T on when I glue some other stuff, probably tomorrow. Total cost was nothing.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190602_194116_1559528781559.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer- So clever. I like those swivel snaps and the cage will definitely keep critters out!

Contrary Housewife- Those lara bars are good and good for you but geez....Would a luna bar work? Or a homemade item like a sandwich? Or a protein or juice drink? Odwalla and Naked have good ones without sugar.

We are eating the ham that I cooked the other day. I made eggs & ham while DH fried the ham and put it on rolls.

Since I'm working less hours, I'm not spending anything on food for lunch. Good. I have too much medical stuff to pay for at this point and food was a big expense. DH will smoke the turkey that I thawed. I'm thinking of making turkey & rice soup or pot pie or turkey and asparagus with noodles....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a HM flatbread pizza for dinner. One "personal size" (naan) makes 2 meals for me. That was Sat. & Sun., tonight I will prob. have a tuna sandwich to use up my last stalk of celery.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting back into routine. My neighbor and I walked 1.67 miles this morning. The heat and humidity is something else. Cut more beet greens this morning and dusted my squash. Going to put up Swiss chard today, iron, work on thank you notes, cut coupons, and go to post office. All my family is gone, but DH decided he needed to stay home another day and rest. I was really looking forward to some alone time. On the bright side, he is going to till an area and I can plant my okra.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Home today, lots to do. Hoping to get the tomatoes and peppers planted finally. It is hazy and warming up, but the haze is from wild fires up north. I have appointments all the rest of the week so house stuff has to be done today.

Talked to DH about cutting down the old redbud tree. The trunk is half rotted, I don't know how it survived winter, and it keeps leaning farther and farther over our garden. I trimmed all the low hanging branches at the start of spring, to keep it off the ground and it has dropped another foot since. My fear is that it will come down on the tomatoes and be a PITA to clean up. But DH has been training a new sapling that is tall (taller than me) and straight and healthy and I think it will fill in nicely once the old one is gone. DH is thinking about it, it is more work for him, of course.

Hope everyone has a good start to their week.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had hoped to leave work without buying anything..Nope. DH will smoke the turkey today and needed chicken broth for gravy. DS2 wanted fruit. I picked up croutons and cream and potatoes. I had to pick up medical supplies as well and ordered contacts online. Not frugal but a necessity.

I hope to clean up the garden. It has been harboring weeds, grass and more wildflowers. Truly a overgrown hot mess. I also have to cut down the tulip remnants around the front yard tree and see what's going on in the wine barrel. The rain and hail destroyed a lot there and I'm thinking of putting a big hanging flowerpot in the barrel. The last time I did that was when we had a house appraiser arrive. It was the only bit of color near the house as the house is grey colored.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ru, I save veggie scraps like onion skins, carrot peels, mushroom scraps, bell pepper cores, cabbage cores, whatever freezes well in a gallon Ziploc bag, and when I get a turkey or chicken carcass, I throw it all in a big 3 gallon stock pot to simmer for a couple hours. If I get the turkey bones first, I freeze that till the veggie scraps accumulate. After simmering it all, I strain it through cheesecloth and freeze it in 2- or 4-cup containers, or can it. It's the best broth ever and no sodium, plus it's free with almost no work. We really hate it when we have to use the store stuff now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished most of the weeding. Need some raking and I want to put down landscape fabric I found in the garage to see if that helps next year. Weather still cool but the mosquitoes are awful. Home Depot has $5/2 refills for the little Off! battery clip-on gadget I have so I'm getting those soon.