2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 47
Page 47 of 108 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849505797 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got my walk in. Going to work in costume closet today. Twilight Tunes tonight on the courthouse lawn if it doesn’t rain. Nothing more today. Put up 5 more quarts of beet greens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made most of a clothesline for the camper today. I used 3 sticks of PVC pipe and six fittings left from another project, a random piece of clothesline found in the garage, 2 flagpole holders bought new at a garage sale for .50 each, $1.50 worth of self tapping screws, $2(!) worth of thumb screws, 2 eye screws, and a Cordura bag we used to haul carpet in on the bumper of former trailers. I still have to buy 2 more eye screws, and make 4 support straps from stash items. Total cost should be a under $5.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190606_114422_1559867684904.jpg

I picked up a NTM convertible jacket for $3 at a garage sale yesterday. It can be worn as a rain jacket with fleece liner, or the fleece liner can be worn alone or the nylon shell can be worn alone. We tend to forget to bring jackets, so I'm going to leave this one in the camper. It should be very useful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also found myself the other day about to buy a cloth bath mat to step onto from the camper shower. But then I realized I have a large bath sheet that's seen better days and will do the job just as well if not better. It will also work better to dry a wet or muddy dog if need be. It's a bit worn with a couple little holes, so I won't have to care if it gets used for something that requires it to be thrown away. It will finish filling up the shower tote so won't require a separate storage space. Glad I thought of it, and saved my money not buying the 'real' bath mat for $4.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Contrary- I've used vinegar in the wash but have also found that oxi-clean detergent or a Shout! pen works well.

Today is small claims for the ex-tenants. I've spent many hours getting stuff together. I have no idea what to do and after Googling stuff, I think I have waaayyyy too much info in the folders. I kinda mixed civil court receipts (due to major damages) versus basic unpaid rent/court fees.....And small claims only awards $7500...We have way more. So we'll ask for guidance on if we should add another small claims or move on to civil court next.....My guess is that the tenants will not show. They didn't show to their eviction hearing...….They showed up 6 hours late and tried to file a request for another hearing. It was denied by the judge and us. So, they moved out and destroyed the place.

I ate some of DH's ice cream. So I bought a container for him and got it home and it was lactose free!! Aahhh! He will not eat it at all and neither will anyone else. Back it goes for a exchange.....

Leftovers for dinner. Some ham and turkey. I may freeze it for another time if I can't figure out what to do. I bought stuff for enchiladas. Nobody will eat turkey or ham enchiladas but maybe breakfast burritos? I'll have to ask them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've bought lactose free yogurt on close out and couldn't tell the difference.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Where did you get lactose free ice cream? What brand? I am lactose intolerant and would love to enjoy some without a stomach ache. I use lactose free milk, it tastes no different than any other milk. All they've done is add a natural enzyme which converts the lactose into glucose and galactose, two natural sugars which are easier to digest. It's not "weird" or "chemical" at all.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going run to Wags today to get 2 packages of Dial soap....on sale 2 for $6 and I have a $2 coupon so I will get 16 bars of soap for $4...can't get it much cheaper then that....will use with my free cloths I get at the car wash and will have lots for my shoeboxes....had a gift card from Amazon so ordered pencils and pens last nite….
    Not doing any housework today as house is clean....well as clean as it's going get......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Walked the dog over to "little free library" and got a book for the weekend. My brother needs me early tomorrow for dad-sitting as there are workmen coming to his house around 9 am. Yard trash still sitting on sidewalk in front of the house, it is now a "trash magnet". I am at my wit's end about this problem. Emailed the county again but did not get any response from them. It's a private trash hauler, but county-mandated yard waste recycle (applies to all trash haulers). Thinking about calling local TV station next week. They may not be interested but maybe worth a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dlrcpa- My mom would always call the local news when she wanted something done. It was usually due to her job (she worked for the county jail as a officer) and never told her name but would tell the news about the issue. Then it would get printed in the paper. Yup, she let the whole county know what was going on!

Contrary- The lactose free ice cream is by Breyer's and in chocolate. Kroger near me has it. Wish I could send it to you.

Well, we went to court. :: More paperwork to fill out and the defendants didn't show-again. But we are moving forward and hope to get closure at some point.

DS2 got an email that he is a semifinalist for a $2500 scholarship. Winners will be chosen in July.

Gotta run errands tomorrow. I had a gift card to Target and ordered cereal online. DS2 wanted some and they were having a sale so I got 5 boxes. Shampoo and possibly fruit with what's left on the GC will go in my cart as well.

We've been watching Harry Potter and DS2 said he wants to have "high tea." Not knowing what he's talking about, I asked where he wanted this tea - the UK? Ireland? In town? He said he didn't care... So, I found a tea room downtown and it's authentic British tea & sandwiches/scones and is $27.95 a person. I'll take him one day as we'll take the train to downtown and walk there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

rujerro, crossing my fingers that your son will be one of the winners of the scholarship!

We have called the local news station for help with a problem with our phone company years ago. They have a team of volunteers who handle this stuff and if they deem it news worthy they will do a piece on it. They got our problem squared away and actually called me to do a interview with them but my problem with Verizon was for a landline and they wanted to do a piece with Verizon on cell phone issues. Not that I would have done it anyway, I'm not one for wanting to be on camera. A couple of years ago we had another problem with a company who had our zero-turn lawn mower for a month for a repair and we were still waiting. They told me they were fixing high end equipment first because those people spent more money. ???? I told them I was going to call the local news station and within two days they brought a mower to our house for us to use and fixed ours within days. It pays to threaten them I guess!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the confirmations. Someone on the "Next Door" site where I posted last night indicates Saturday may be "missed pickups" day. I hope so.
    RJ I hope your son gets the scholarship, that would be a big help I'm sure.
    I'm at dad's cleaning and searching online for replacement parts for small items. I'm pretty sure dad thinks I am a cleaning lady.
    Found door stop caps on Amazon, replacement laundry tub stopper at Home depot that I will pick up next week. Need to bring cleaning rags & Endust next time. I can probably fill 1-2 boxes with things to get rid of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pulled the old AC out of the camper wall this morning and Husby and I put the new one in. This saved more money than just the service, although that saved us a bunch. The nearest dealer is a 400 mile round trip, so that would be 800 miles in gas and wear and tear on the truck and 2 days out of our lives to drop the camper off down there and go back later to get it. Glad we could DIY it. Aside from saving the time and money by not taking the trailer in, we used hardware we had on hand and saved a gallon of gas, some more money, and a trip to town by fabricating some small parts we needed. I still need to make a new cover for the AC but needed to do that anyway for the old one, and already have the stuff. A cover is a necessity for travel, and if I couldn't DIY, it would be an expensive custom item.

So relieved to have the AC done, as I was dreading it. It was easy thanks to a YouTube I found showing how. The only hard part was I did my usual crappy sloppy job on the caulking. Considering what a nightmare I was expecting the project to be, I'm perfectly happy with the bad caulk job. It looks bad but will keep everything dry, and that's what matters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. The scholarship winners will be announced in July.

SD-Oh, caulk....I try to use clear but if it must be white, I do a crappy job too. It is messy.

Ran the errands today- Got 5 boxes of Honey bunches cereal for $2.50 /box at Target. Saw a client. Paid off my CC. Made enchiladas for dinner. Found the college websites to list our rental. Cost was $35/mth and I got one month. See what happens and if any potential renters contact us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

rujerro.. that would be great if your ds got the scholarship. my friend wanted to make it a goal for her and me to go high teas this year. made it to one! here there is lots of not as fancy but nice ones that museums put on for mothers day for $15 or so. very popular. we were thinking of putting on a high tea for fun so will see.

kids trying to share cold so more watching tv then anything else. dh went out w friend. went grocery shopping $85 bucks I am thinking what did I buy not much. and on sale. even a quart of creamo is 3.30 now. so over 10 bucks w 2 and a gallon of milk. but got all the basics cus I am not shopping again for a few days. told dh to have a talk w ds..like drink water once in a while, eat fruit..usual teen stuff. go for the easy button..individual packed things, jugs of juice gone in hours. so to eat a pb sandwich once in a while. mac n cheese and shake n bake chicken is easy dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Business has been closed more than been open for last couple months. He's been sick and back and forth to VA and local doctors and hospitals. Now glad I signed up for SS a few months early. As far as paychecks they've been almost non existent. Also glad I had emergency funds set up. Vehicle took a dump and paid cash for new to us one that's not a beater and should last for a long time....thanks for dedicated sinking fund. Now hot water heater and washer leaking water in utility room. Cashing in points from Swagbucks and My Points to help with those. I have enough points for $500??? Maybe $600. Hubs has a bunch too. When did they get so expensive? May have to wait a bit for hot water heater.

On days closed little to no driving. Minor gas usage other than VA. It's 100 miles one way and he has a trip tomorrow.

Had groceries stockpiled. Using out of it for most part. Was gifted a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs left over from a party. Made use of those for last couple days. Lucked into $1.49 bscb at Save A Lot and got 3 big pkgs. Shouldn't need much rest of month. That will help with washer/dryer and hot water heater.

I've read May has broken the record for hot/heat in Florida for all time.. Believe you me I believe it. I don't want to even see the next electric bill. So double watching electric and water also. Have a feeling now thru Septembers electric is going to be unreal.

Washing full loads although I've quit filling QUITE as full as I once did. Not so sure that's good on the washer after some reading .... maybe not dryer either.

Still using store plastic bags for a lot of the trash instead of store bought.

Still stockpiling. Especially the stuff most used. Not so much the once in awhile stuff anymore. Have been working especially on slightly higher priced stuff so when the business is gone it won't have to be bought for awhile and I can bring it into the budget some at a time instead of all at once. Still some things I wish I could stock but we're probably looking at a month or less until it's gone. Kinda scary. No. A lot scary.

Going thru sale ads looking for best sales and BOGO's. Not finding a lot. Some but nothing to write home about. If it's not a really good sale/deal I don't go period. Cause if I do I'll come out with something. Best way to no spend is no go.

Have a few cents short of $20 in points to be able to use at Winn Dixie on groceries and/or prescriptions. May come in handy.

His vehicle is having issues. Not totally sure what's wrong with it. Hopefully it stays ok till this goat rodeo of washer/dryer/hot water heater is done and over. He's been driving mine more and more.

So the next month is going to be unsettling and kinda sad but he's not physically able to do this anymore. So good thoughts are appreciated. I expect to be on here more as we get closer to being done.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4