2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 48
Page 48 of 108 FirstFirst ... 38454647484950515898 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko - fingers crossed for you. Can you look on Craigslist for washer/dryer? I am going for a lot of pasta & rice-base supper dishes. I just want to eat less meat and less total food for supper. Breakfast and lunch are easy. I'm going to make a big pot of veg soup later this week using the ham bone and frozen $1/bag vegs.

I sewed a little zipper & fabric clutch from misc scraps to put in the car glove box. Too much small stuff floating around loose. I covered a sponge w/ nylon mesh for scrubbing. Organized/consolidated random craft stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko, when we've had leaky washers in the past, the cause has been a leaky pump. It might be worth checking. If it's the pump or a leaky seal, maybe you could delay buying a new one.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Niko, sorry to hear about your DH. Hope there are no more surprises for you guys. Good thing you have a stockpile and a little to fall back on. You'll get through this. We are cheering for you.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

niko sorry to hear about your troubles. hopefully your dh is better soon. like the others say what about craigslist. here they always have good used ones free esp since they aren't front loading.

lazy weekend just basics done, groceries, libraries, lots going on in the community but skipped it all. dd had lots of homework and both kids needed to get over colds. thankfully they didn't share. one cat stayed out all night and then didn't come home for breakfast. didn't show up until 10 after I had called a few times. with a wtf look I was sleeping look. we have coyotes so not allowed out at night. so got locked up for the day in the house. not happy about it but rules are rules. don't piss off your momma. we finished a series we had pvr'd too. dresser for guide stuff out of my dining room and now downstairs. will fill it with stuff sitting in boxes on the floor will tidy it up.

pulled meat out for meals. lots of housework.. serious vacuum under things, bathroom cleaning etc needed. suppose to get hot after today so don't want to sweat like crazy doing housework. watching the tony awards I pvr'd yesterday. beetlejuice on now. I like the performances of the shows. not like I will be near broadway soon lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Started off this morning picking almost a peck of cherries, for free, from a community garden. Got about half of them washed and pitted. If you've done that before you know what a thrill it is. Ended up with a quart container full and a cup and a half of pits. Rinsing the other half of the cherries and will clean them tomorrow. Need to look up recipes and check if I have enough jars, sugar and/or pectin to make stuff. May just make some jars of pie filling, but the thought of jam is appealing.

Then I went and bought DH a reciprocating saw (aka Sawz-all) "for father's day". We've had a lot of branches down the past couple years and with our old trees I can't see the situation getting better. He struggles with the hand saw, or we have to get a friend with a chain saw to come over. Sometimes frugality is not about cost in dollars but in time and effort. Still, it was on sale and I used a store coupon, too. He was not happy at first (compared it to giving me a toaster) but went and tried it and admits it makes the work a lot easier and faster. DH is not getting any younger.

Stepson texted DH and wants to do dinner sometime this week. We rarely hear from him, so it was nice he got in touch.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. Haven't decided which way to go yet. We went and looked at them. Copied the numbers and going to do reviews on those tomorrow or next day. If we go new it will probably be the last ones we buy so there's that factor. We've done the used thing before and ended up buying someone elses problems. Been burnt more than once. We should be able to direct my paycheck this week... small as it is.... toward it and as I said I've hoarded my Swagbucks and My Points for a couple years and he has quite a bit also. One set we looked at we could do cash without a lot of strain doing both of these. The other would be a strain but a possiblity. It's a much better brand and quality. The kid said she'd let us use her credit card and us pay it but I don't want to do that. Although It wouldn't take very long at all if it were just the excess of what was left after cash and points. Rather not do that either. Have a little bit to decide. Oh and forgot to say... Looking at Lowes and they do 10% military discount. Least cover all tax and 3% on product. Definitely helps.

In the main stream of today....
    last day off from work. I didn't leave the house but he had the VA appointment so necessary trip. Only gas used.

He got a bunch of diabetic supplies while there today for free. His is always free though thru mail. This is such a big help. They gave him another glucometer (?) and the stuff that goes with it along with a one on one class on using it. No more sticking fingers for test results.

I remembered to set up coffee pot last night for this morning. Hubs will gladly do it or make in the morning but he uses at least twice the amount of coffee I do and mines not weak by any stretch of the imagination. His will straighten your curly hair.

Other than that nothing new today. The usual watch electric and water. Some days it seems no one knows the recipe for turning off lights.

Meals and such out of what is already here. May want to pick up hamburger though tomorrow night on way home from work. Going to check first and see if any here. If there is I'll wait and use it first then get new. I'll have to get some before long though. I have a small list going for a one stop shop.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made the new cover for the camper AC today. I used new packcloth I bought years ago for projects for the camper. I reused the Velcro from the old cover and the bead strip that slides into a channel to hold the top of the cover on. It was an easy project.

I finished the PVC clothesline project, too. The pipe and fittings were leftover from another project, the clothesline was, too. The eye screws were from stash, and the support straps were either from stash or repurposed. The bag for it all was also repurposed. The whole thing was a fun, easy project that didn't cost much and should be very useful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko- I don't like credit card debt either. Whichever washer you choose will at least be new and under warranty. Your DH will love the libre meter. There are people showing how to put it on with youtube.

Martha- your cats are funny.

I will attempt to make French bread today for dinner. Having beef/rigatoni/pasta sauce tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looked through the freezer, need to use up a bunch of leftover stuff. Help me come up with ideas for this:

chicken breakfast sausage links
    bratwurst links
    maple breakfast links
    italian sausage links
    chinese dumlings
    1 c cranberries
    shredded cheese (multiple kinds)
    blueberries
    small amounts of cold cuts
    turkey burgers
    french rolls
    small sandwich rolls
    sweet potato fries
    kibbe (lamb meatballs)
    cranberry muffins
    pineapple juice
    pesto
    hot dogs
    blue cheese
    pepperoni
    wonton wraps
    mozzarella slices
    coconut soup
    HM crab rangoon

Plus I have basics like celery, onion, carrots, garlic, cucumber and pantry staples like flour, salt, sugar, rice, seasonings, pasta, canned beans, canned tomato....

I'm just out of fresh ideas and could use new perspectives.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ever made toad in the hole? Not the kind where you cut a hole in bread, the Cornish or Scottish or whatever kind where you pour batter over the sausages and bake. I used to make that with breakfast sausages a lot.

Jambalaya is a good way to use sausages too. Also vegetable hash or stir fry. That really cleans out the fridge. Flavor with red pepper flakes and/or sesame oil for a different twist, or top with cheese.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the ideas. I've got some coconut flour to use up, too. It makes decent pancakes. I'm going to get buns and we'll have chili dogs next week. I'm going to do something with the pepperoni and mozzarella, I made 'pizza bread' once for a potluck and it was popular though not something I'd eat a lot of myself. I may use the pesto on ravioli this week in lieu of red sauce.

Spent time this morning pitting cherries and was looking forward to getting some crafting or sewing done this afternoon. Ended up driving all over town on an errand for friends. We helped them out with a birthday gift for their grand daughter by ordering it through amazon prime. It was supposed to be delivered to their door yesterday. It wasn't. Amazon says "We're working to get your package back on track, and we'll let you know when your package is out for delivery. Please come back Saturday if you still don't have it and we'll help you out." Yeah, well, you suck Amazon. Saturday is not an option. The birthday party is tomorrow. So I went and got the gift myself and delivered it and all is good.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rujerro View Post
    Niko- I don't like credit card debt either. Whichever washer you choose will at least be new and under warranty. Your DH will love the libre meter. There are people showing how to put it on with youtube.

Yes there's the warranty factor too. At him 72 and me near 66 don't need to be dragging and on the floor working on that stuff. Honestly he's at a point he scares me. If he snores and quits I panic. He had a Pet scan last week at VA. Outside doctor is ordering a Cat scan at local hospital. Apparently something didn't come back right with kidneys.

We're just trying to set things up to where we don't have to mess with stuff for a long time or if one of us is "gone" so to speak. It's not because we have money to burn. We're trying to replace stuff... or fix it if it warrants it.... for long term best we can.

Today.... he didn't sleep so didn't open the business yet another day.

I stayed home.. no gas

He went to get a non VA prescription so minor gas used. Used Good RX for that prescription. Saved about $28 on it by doing so.

Found hamburger in freezer without going to store. Making tacos. Big skillet so should (maybe) be enough left for a few for freezer. Had to send the kid to the store though for shells. Gah... I though I had some.
    Using some needed to be used tomatoes for the tacos. Also emptied the last little bit of salsa into the skillet. So thats cleared out of fridge.

Not much else. Same old same old.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sausage (chicken or italian) soup w/ swiss chard or spinach. I used Emeril's recipe once, there are others.
    Pineapple pudding/tapicoa w/ blueberries on top.
    Cheese in cornbread or muffins.
    Mac & cheese w/ hot dogs.

The county inspector called me re the yard waste pickup, said he was closing out the report as he came by today & did not see yard waste. Yeah, I put it in the regular trash Monday and it magically disappeared. He said "oh no, don't do that". Sorry I don't seem to have any other options. He did compliment me on my beautiful yard. I said yeah, you see why I have lots of yard waste. He said to put my address on the yard cans - so I used magic marker and wrote it big on the paper bags tonight. If it's not picked up Wednesday I'm putting it in the regular trash can on Thursday and make it go away. I asked hubby for spray paint to paint 4 numbers (street address number) on the 2 yard cans and he said I have to use stencils and do it neatly!!!! This is from the man who thinks nothing of letting 10 bags of trash sit at the curb for a week! Yet I have to paint the numbers on the yard cans using stencils. Is he crazy or trying to make me crazy?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I returned book to little free library box and got another one.
    Made veg soup in the crock pot w/ ham bone. I pulled beans from the freezer to add to mine. Hubby won't eat beans.
    Another missed yard waste pickup. I spent 12 minutes on the phone w/ company and argued persuasively (I hope) that they needed to give me a bill credit instead of letting them do a "make-up" pickup on MONDAY. Said I cannot have trash sitting in front of my house 5 days every week, neighbors unhappy, I have to go move it myself, etc. Oh and threw in what the county inspector said about labeling the bags (I did). She gave me a trouble ticket # and said she would put in the bill credit request. I took pictures. I really would like to stop wasting time on this project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Contrary- Here's some food ideas that I noticed...
    I'd take the Italian sausages out of the casings and mix with any shredded cheese and fill the wonton wrappers. Cook them and then top with a marinara like a ravioli. Make paninis with your rolls/deli meat/mozzarella. I'd use the blueberries/cranberries in muffins or breads. Can the ragoon be used in a casserole? Add them to a cooked noodle and bake under a layer of cheese with a crunchy panko top? I'd take any of the other sausage links (casing removed and meat crumbled) and put them in a frittata or even make corn bread and throw it in.

The peach tree has 2 peaches on it. The apple tree has nothing....The lemon tree has 2 lemons. The strawberry runners have not blossomed inside their caged area and decided to grow in the grass. We only have one small plant in the cage and DH wants more strawberry plants there. They used to come up every year but most have shriveled up from the excessive rain and hail.

I have 2 tests at the hospital today. I hope everything turns out just fine and we can move on....Next week is 2 MD appts.