2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 49
Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions. Paninis sound nice an easy.

Strawberries only live a few years. The mother plant will die after sending out runners. You have to relocate the new plants, but be careful, they don't like being transplanted. I've given up on mine, too much effort to feed squirrels. Last spring a friend helped me put in 10 new plants from the nursery, in addition to the 8-10 I had, and this spring I had a total of 3 living strawberries.

Hope your tests are over quickly.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like everyone is busy. I am walking 2 miles daily and joined NOOM free trial to see if it would be worth it. So far I’ve lost 1 1/2 lbs. Working on cleaning the pool so I can exercise in it. Cleaned to flower beds this morning. Hopefully going to listen to Bluegrass on the courthouse lawn tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Ever made toad in the hole? Not the kind where you cut a hole in bread, the Cornish or Scottish or whatever kind where you pour batter over the sausages and bake. I used to make that with breakfast sausages a lot.

Jambalaya is a good way to use sausages too. Also vegetable hash or stir fry. That really cleans out the fridge. Flavor with red pepper flakes and/or sesame oil for a different twist, or top with cheese.
    was going to suggest that ! great minds think alike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used sausage in pasta sauce instead of ground beef. or use the pineapple/kibbe and make sweet & sour meatballs. I use chinese dumplings to make homemade version of wonton soup..chicken, veggie or miso stock you can add cabbage etc too.

has been stinking hot the last couple of days here like 90 which is hot for here high summer weather. so window air conditioners are in the bedroom and dining room. fan in the living room. we can't put window air conditioner in the living room windows no way to put them in securely without someone being able to break in easy. others are higher up and not as visible.

went to the states on tues w friend shopped got some gifts for fathers day, shorts for ds. groceries. more groceries today. visited w friends . end of year lunch w a couple of friends. used ent book coupon. did my errands banking library etc. made a big pot of chili not the greatest batch ..my onion was moldy and forgot I had bought frozen diced onions until late at night when I had it the slow cooker all day. watched tea with the dames finally and got it back to the library. my computer has been screwing up and turning off randomly. just old I guess. dh has tried somethings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going to my sister's for the weekend. Usually this derails my weight loss progress, but she is on a diet so I should be OK. I will bring some hummus, guacamole, and raw veggies for snacks.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm dad-sitting today and taking hot dogs & potato chips so I won't be doing as well! Better do a lot of housework to counteract. Floors always need mopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Busy morning cleaning out flowerbed, trimming bushes, and working on the pool. Going to our neighbors tonight for an open house. Gotta go to grocery store for fruit and veggies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko - so sorry to hear about your washer/dryer, water heater, hubby's medical issues and the few to no work hours. You are tough and I know you will find a way.

Been fairly frugal around here: the garden is starting to produce. We've been eating squash, green beans, yard long beans, cucumbers, corn and tomatoes. Not a lot but every meal with something from the garden is a help. We have @15 volunteer tomato plants and several watermelon plants and one has a nice sized melon.

We think the mama goat is prego. If she is, it takes 5 months and that means is happened "shortly" after she had the baby in January. Not happy about that. We have to figure somethings out because back to back to back pregnancies is not good.

We are leaving Thursday for a weekend in the Mountains of North Carolina. We have not had a vacation since our honeymoon that didn't involve going to see family or friends. We are renting a house, going to go whiter water rafting and ziplining.

Well, we went back for my DHs 6 month blood test for his prostate cancer and his PSA went up another point. That's 2 in just over 6 months. We are headed to Md Anderson in Houston for an appointment on July 15th. The procedure we want done is where they will insert 100 radioactive particles about the size of a grain of rice. They will stay in forever but slowly lose their radioactivity. With this method they can isolate where the radiation goes without damaging other organs and surgery can cause it's own set of issues. A friend of ours just had this procedure performed a month ago at MD and hasn't gone back for a follow-up yet. We need $1500 up front and I have that covered with my HSA card. Instead of a hotel we are going to stay with friends. They "fee" is homemade zucchini bread - I got that covered!

I bought some peaches last weekend, 25# for $30. They never softened. I froze enough for 2 cobblers, we have eaten 2 cobblers and I dehydrated some with cinnamon on them. They taste like peaches but barely. We also went to a "you pick" and picked 2 gallons of blueberries for #20. We've been eating them all week and I will freeze the rest tomorrow.

Supper tonight was steak my daughter left behind when they moved out, baked potatoes, grilled yellow squash from the garden, grilled corn on the cob from the garden and peach cobbler.

This is our second weekend in a row that we have not gone to the grocery store. I will make due with what we have for fruits and veggies for my 3 days of work this week. I don't want to buy anything before we go away for the weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Livin Large—Have a safe trip to Houston. Dress for heat. It will be hot and humid.

DH and I finally got the pool cleaned yesterday.Today I’m taking him to buy sandals and then I have a mystery shop at Goodwill. Suppose to rain the next few days. Good for my garden. Lost 3 1/2 pounds using NOOM. Really a great program.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL hope things work out for your husband....hopefully it won't be too hot but don't count on it.....it's been brutal lately....right now we are under flashflood warnings.....but what people don't understand we have a/c everywhere....you go from your a/c house to your a/c car to the a/c building so you aren't "out" in the heat....in fact some places (hospitals and dr. offices and lots of restaurants) keep it so cold, you need a sweater....I keep one in my car at all times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My last post was Tuesday the 11th. He felt so so bad. We talked and decided that day not to reopen period. Now to get closed down which will take a wile. More later.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL- That sounds like innovative medicine for your DH. Very cool and I hope it works....So glad you traded zucchini bread for accommodations. How sweet.

Niko- I understand the feelings your DH has about the business. My DH couldn't even get his going due to the banks not wanting to give a loan and he already put down $10,000 on equipment. It's been years and he's still trying to get the biz running. It's very tough to start a business and then keep it going....There are so many factors going into it but just know that my thoughts are with you and you will get through it.

Two MD appts- today and tomorrow. After this, I want a break. I'm tired of appts and tests that I gotta pay for. I had to write a note to HR as I didn't get paid for 2 days last week.

Found out my best friend has cancer. She lives 1500 miles away but has a web page that she gives updates on. So I read it and write back. She is a fighter and the most optimistic person I've ever known. So, I won't bug her but hope to send some love her way. I get these fancy fold-out cards and she said she kept one that opens up to a big tree and a bear sits on a swing on one of its branches. She said it reminds her of the name of our street (cherrybrook) as she feels that the tree is a cherry tree. (It's a red pop out tree)… It was a cool card. I'll try to find something similar....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Down 4.5 lbs. My Monday is busy. Soup kitchen, steam cleaning my game room since my fur baby decided to have diarrhea last night, picking beets and maybe putting them up, and watering my indoor plants, which takes forever. Hope to get fruit and veggies to bring home today, but first my neighbor and I have to take advantage of cool morning and walk our 2 miles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally did a mod I've wanted done in the camper for a few years now. It's a small camper, so any storage we can gain is a plus. Here's where I started. As you can see, there was a lot of wasted space between the top of the cabinet door and the counter.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190617_090315_1560799683718.jpg
    The solution was to remove the counter and put a new shelf above the door opening, then hinge the counter for access to the shelf. I still need to buy the hinges and a magnetic catch to complete the project, but total cost will be under $5 due to using scrap materials and other items we had on hand. The new self creates a shallow space only 3.25" high, but almost 4 sf in area, so it adds a lot of storage for very little money, and only 4 hours of work.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190617_122454_1560800185183.jpg
    I'm really happy to get this one done, especially since I expected it to be much more involved and difficult. It was easy, so I procrastinated for nothing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dog club meeting tonight, we have a good speaker - a vet nutritionist. Should be interesting but won't be able to accomplish anything else due to being out all evening.
    Hubby put dead goldfish in the trash can and made it smell incredibly bad. 90 degree heat for a couple of days. I said I would have buried them in the yard, not put in the trash. So he gets to wash the trash can out and he better do a good job.

Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast