2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 52
Page 52 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only use the extra large zucchini that I miss when they’re small. I haven’t had a lot yet, just a couple of large ones. Actually canning the relish today and dehydrating parsley. Walked 3.3 miles this morning. Doing laundry and going through grocery ads.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

been blah all week. gave up on the pill that didn't work made things worse. and allergies. so not much done. dd and I got haircuts, she went though video games so took to video store close by for trade in and got a ds game. horror store next to it so got a game for friends 50 th bday next week ..loves horror. having a party. did some gardening. library runs, grocery shopped today again but we need the basics and got a few deals. veggies and fruit so expensive at that chain. need to go to fruit market. just not paying over 1.60 a lb for apples. 2.49 for most there. onions were 1.29 a lb so got 2 like .69 at market. they had bags of red, orange and yellow peppers 6 for 5.99 so that is ok. good for stirfries. got bananas 100 later ... at least frozen juice was on for .79 each. teens all goes fast.

other night cat yelled.. dh went out a bunch of raccoons coming up the stairs..they don't normally come up so must have been hungry 3 mommas and bunch of babies. last time was jan. one threw himself at the door so hard. got told off ..manners. animals know how to have them. I always call the crows if they are not there and I want them to get stuff right away like leftover chicken bones from soup..stewing hens etc. don't want the cats getting it. the crows haven't figured out they can beat them up. and they don't care if something is old or off. or trimmings from meat. I know some of the neighbours think I am off lol but not the ones who had pets and talked to them or been trained by their pets lol they say thank you and I say your welcome. my mom has a bunch too. plus stray cats. more in her area a few blocks away. she said you can tell if something is not a good product ..no one will eat it. or like the vegan gluten free pasta dish she made for my brothers girlfriend. she is a good cook but no crow or raccoon would eat it and it winter lol

so I threw out some bread and dry cat food at side of the road. last night popped old popcorn and my bad rice out for them. always feed the crows. good way to use up old stuff. no waste. more bread tonight. I don't do it all the time but guess there isn't much out there right now. urban area but lots of animals.

got another gift too for this weekend for cousin. annual complaining about the flowers so tied them up from mailman like couple of leaves will hurt you. I only tie them up for the hummingbirds so the cats don't get them. since the post office is trying to get rid of mail carriers you would think they would complain about real problems.. the whole block is full of flowers of all types, magolias, dogwoods, lilacs, roses, lavender, rhodos, hydrangeas, cottoneaster, lilies.. the list goes on.. always something blooming or around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha- Your Mom is funny about how animals won't eat food if it tastes bad. That's so true!

DH smoked a chicken yesterday. I was gonna make dinner but didn't. I will make dinner today and use the chicken thighs from the other night, along with the smoked chicken and I cooked out plain chicken. With the smoke flavor, the garlic flavor and no flavor, I hope it all blends well with spicy sauce, jalapenos and onions.

We finally got a renter for the condo that our ex-tenants destroyed. I printed out all the paperwork and then remembered that the toilet has to be cleaned! With months of sitting there, it looks like all the dust and minerals just collected and is ugly. I will try to sneak in a brush and clean it while DH and the renter fill out papers.....

I was leaving work and a regular customer stopped in and we chatted. We've never had long conversations before. Well, she works for a man who creates online businesses (e-commerce) for major retailers. She said that they need help and I'm not sure what kind of help, but I'll discuss it with her at some point. Since I cut down my hours at my job, maybe this could be a side hustle??

I've got to clean out my bedroom of unwanted items and papers and misc. I seem to need to do this every so often.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Need to get groceries today. Pork on sale and I cut coupons this morning that should work. Also the frozen chicken nuggets that are easy to feed to dad. Maybe I will feel like baking a cake tonight. Sewing project this evening. It is still hot & humid so I don't feel like being outside other than to walk the dog.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not walking today. My body needs a break. I have many little things to do today. I have a theatre gala to attend tonight. They will be introducing the shows for the next season, so I have to go. I got my haircut yesterday and then stopped out Sprouts for cabbage 3 lbs./$1 and then to Kroger for chicken breasts 88 cents/ lb. That’s the only shopping I will do since I have a lot of produce on hand.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hot today, going to get near 100 with heat advisory and humidity making it feel 104. Yay summer. Have to check in the freezer and make a menu plan, then I will think about when to do a grocery run. No plans to go out for anything else.

Friends coming next week for the holiday weekend, got cleaning to do. Will start some today and no doubt continue over the weekend.

Cats came by last night. Glad to see them all. First Auntie, but he ran off when I opened the door to take food out. Silly cat. Then Momma and Pops came by. Momma's not scared at all, but Pops backed off when I took food out. He won't eat with the other cats, so he got his own bowl.

Really want to do some sewing and crafts. Been running around doing everything else this week.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ordered a pair of bifocals online, total cost, about $40.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I placed my Target pantry order. Work in the yard a bit - finish trimming line of bushes, maybe pull some weeks. Hand and machine sewing indoors when it gets too hot. I walked the dog over to to the little free library & returned a paperback but they didn't have anything else I wanted to read. I have some audiobooks downloaded. Better get started.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've canned 3.5 gallons of tomato juice using tomatoes from the garden and dehydrated the peels/seeds for tomato powder. We've been eating lots of tomatoes too. Also been eating yard long beans, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, corn on the cob (froze enough for 5 meals) and Asian melons.

Our power went outlast Monday for 15 hours and I was a little panicked about losing the food in the freezer or having a mass canning day. So I've decided to start eating down the freezer. This week from the freezer we've eaten sauerkraut, vegetable soup and I canned the tomatoes from the garden. Not much but it's a start and we haven't added anything.

I'm meeting a coworker in less than 2 hours to go mushroom hunting. I'm so hopeful we find a lot. I'm almost out of home canned cream of mushroom soup plus I would like to be able to can some mushrooms in water.

What else has been going on.....I made hm bread Friday, I started 4-10s a couple of weeks ago and that is saving me 2 days a month from driving to work. I know there is more but I can't think of it right now.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wish I could find some corn here. We had some this spring but it was not local. Farms are in a real bad way this summer, the worst in 25 years.

It's hot and I just feel limp today. DH and I have muddled through house chores without enthusiasm or energy. I had a nap at 2pm. Did not sleep well last night and woke up this morning feeling stiff. Looking forward to my treatment Thursday.

Did some shopping again this morning, picking up what Aldi didn't have. Noticed when I got home DH's car has a flat tire. Probably drove over some construction crap on Friday.

Simple dinner tonight, hot dogs, beans, and maybe a salad.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weather has been mid-high 80's..Not too bad.

I'll need some surgery soon and will not be flying out for a medical consultation as the surgeon said we could do it over the phone. Good. They have all of my tests and once the consult happens, we'll schedule for surgery. I'll be out for a few days and my sis will try to make it to the hospital. I said she could stay at the hotel with me. I didn't feel the doctors were experienced enough here and was thinking of the south or west coast. My PCP usually sends his patients to Cleveland clinic for surgery. I guess he feels the same way I do.....I don't intend for DH to attend my surgery because each time I have come down with a medical issue, he has either 1) called me a liar or 2) called the doctors liars. The only person that comes close to having this weird attitude is his father. And after 26 years of marriage, I've had enough and told him he's staying home. I prefer to be alone with my issues, surgeries and medical staff.

DS2 is nervous about his first test this semester. I hope he passes! I think I get more nervous than him....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rujerro I hope your surgery goes well and your sister can stay with you.
    CVS shop this morning, I have a lot of coupons so minimal $ spent. I don't know what is for supper......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Making more pickles today and baking DH something. Not really motivated to do much. It’s hot!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Saved $18 at CVS w/ coupons and ExtraBucks Monday. I'm having refried beans & cheese on tortillas for lunch today & tomorrow. Tried to work in the yard Monday afternoon but the mosquitoes were awful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

rujjero, hope your surgery goes well. That is very kind of your sister to try to be with you, I hope that that everything will work out. It will be nice for you for her to be with you.

Had my annual Gyn appointment this morning and then had to go to the library, which is in the total opposite direction, to return a DVD that was due. Home now and trying to get up the motivation to do a few things in the house. I really was wanting to work outside but it has started to rain. Hopefully it's just a shower and will blow over. We got a lot done last weekend outside but I still have some flowerbeds that need weeding and wanted to putter around a bit. I hate being stuck in the house in the summer.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.