2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 58
Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think people used to buy pet food and litter there, so not terribly exciting after all. Neighbor gave us green & wax beans so I'm going to make 3-bean salad. Also peppers & okra but not so much. Need to go to the grocery store soon. I got 2 doz eggs at CVS Monday w/ Extrabucks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

getting ready for the trip. running errands, packing etc. using up fresh stuff I know the boys won't look at. don't know how everyone fits it all in a backpack. housework, library, banking. defrosting tandoori chicken w cook w rice and peppers. need to get some billable work done too. go see my mom. ds and the cat wrecked his cell. .he had already broken the glass, then dropped in lake dried and then fine but then cat knocked it off the desk so dead. so going up to dh old cell and he can have my old one. breaks that and out of luck. no more around. being frugal using what we have in the house. Already got groceries but forgot cat food so need that. last couple of esp to watch of stranger things 3 w the boys.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The MD called me and confirmed that I need surgery. We chatted a bit and I set a date and will look into airfare. At least I have a date and will make transportation arrangements too. Finally.

DH made turkey burgers and oven onion rings for dinner. I had leftover ham.

DS2 got a haircut and has a big test tomorrow. He seems flustered and upset. I will chat with him a bit about it.

We will talk to a banker soon to discuss doing a refi. From what DH has said, our value needs to come in $50,000 more than it did 2 years ago. I did some research and comparables in the area and there's no way that will happen. We will discuss other possible options but I have a feeling that we will end up just doing what we're doing- keeping 2 mortgages and paying a bit more each month towards them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same neighbor w/ vegetables wants me to pick his garden when he goes on vacation in about 10 days. I need a refresher on where it is, I have only seen it 1 time. Should be interesting. I need to make that bean salad tonight. It is really hot here and miserable to be outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today I need to arrange the Tupperware cabinet and deal with the kitchen, in general. Making dinner in the crockpot so I don't have to think about it. I also need to spend some time weeding my front garden area. A neighbor brought over a bunch of coneflower, which I planted, but I still need to finish weeding the mulch. The weed barrier didn't do anything to stop weed growth at all.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hot here too, but there's a line of storms coming so it may cool off.... or just get more humid. Nothing urgent to do today. Got the grocery ads so may try making a list. Freezer is full, so I will shop there first.

M, an old packing trick I heard once said to pack two bags with everything you need, then leave one behind. A lot of people take stuff they don't need, extra shoes, extra clothes, hair dryers, too many/too large toiletries, stuff they think they might want but won't. Remember you can always buy an extra shirt or pair of sandals, and any toiletries you need. Pack socks/underwear inside shoes. If I go someplace for 10 days I take 5 shirts, plus one dressy blouse. I air them out after wearing, and wear each one twice. On longer trips doing laundry is an option.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked up a new foster dog last Saturday and he is my most challenging one to date. I nicknamed him Hannibal Lecter. He doesn't like dogs, cats and both DH and I have been bit. The first 3 days were bad, I think the shelter stress did a number on him, he seems to be slowly decompressing now. Since I have to keep him separate from my pets it makes life difficult. He gets the kitchen/laundry room, my dogs get the rest of the house. I think the silver lining with this one is that I won't be crying when he goes to his forever home.

I was supposed to go to the 4H fair with nephews wife and kids but with the heat and stormy weather that was cancelled so home today trying to get things done around the house. I would like to get outside in between showers and weed a little.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Hot here too, but there's a line of storms coming so it may cool off.... or just get more humid. Nothing urgent to do today. Got the grocery ads so may try making a list. Freezer is full, so I will shop there first.

M, an old packing trick I heard once said to pack two bags with everything you need, then leave one behind. A lot of people take stuff they don't need, extra shoes, extra clothes, hair dryers, too many/too large toiletries, stuff they think they might want but won't. Remember you can always buy an extra shirt or pair of sandals, and any toiletries you need. Pack socks/underwear inside shoes. If I go someplace for 10 days I take 5 shirts, plus one dressy blouse. I air them out after wearing, and wear each one twice. On longer trips doing laundry is an option.
    yes this is more the case of having to bring more then normal.. tent decorations..flag etc, traders, mess kit,costume, tent and air mattress etc. already decided not frugal but will get cheap sleeping bags there and leave them behind. plus uniform, camp shirt, and reg clothes because the camp is only part of the trip so want diff stuff. double duty for lots of things!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did canning tonight, and it was miserable in this Florida heat.

I was able to get 6 each of Peach Butter, Elderberry Jam, and Blueberry Jam.
    Needless to say my kitchen is a mess and I don't want to clean it.
    I was going to leave it until tomorrow, but decided to take a break while the can's pop, and then jump in there.
    Its almost a blessing that my canned jams and jellies sell at the farmers market, but this heat doesn't make me want to be productive.
    We were just laughing about how we hoped for summer when it was colder out, and now we are wishing for colder weather.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

More hot weather, rain storm last night so everything also wet & humid. I made bean salad last night and got some necessary staples at the grocery. Unfortunately no good mark-downs. Chicken tonight. I also have a ham slice that hubby is totally unenthusiastic about, so it needs to be in a casserole or soup.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BookWormPeg - We had no options but to travel last weekend. We left Saturday morning and the worst part of the drive was from Baton Rouge to Lafayetted but that was no worse than a bad storm.

We left home sat morning and are driving home now. We stayed with friends, a ate out a few times, paid parking 3 days at $13/day. We were expecting to see the doctors, talk about options and go home well that didn't happen. Hubby had his mind set on a radiation procedure and the surgeon told him that was a stupid idea. Yes, those are the words the doctor used. He was blunt and direct - I loved that. The dr explained to us that radiation is a one time deal and if they get 97% and miss 3% the cancer will slowly grow and they can't do radiation again because it will destroy that area. There are then no "good" options and they all lead to colostomy bags. Not good news. So if we do surgery and have the prostate removed, they cancer comes back or they miss something we can do surgery or radiation. The surgeon spent 15-20 minutes with us talking. The radiologist came in to talk with us and he said because my husband has had 1/3 on his large intestine removed and has polyps removed every time he has a colonoscopy that he would not do radiation and that they have to do all they can to preserve what he has left of his large intestine.

So, when we said surgery things got real crazy real fast. They set up a surgery date of 8/14, and started setting up all his pre op appointments for the next day and the rest of the week. Well when we went to do the MRI we put down that the had a titanium plates in his heart and that caused a whole new set of issues that we are still trying to work out. IF you EVER have metal put in your body get a copy of the medical records! It's been 10 years since they did that procedure, they won't do the MRI without knowing about the stuff in his heart and the hospital purged the records after 8 years.

Sorry to be so long winded. Md Anderson is where we went and they are AMAZING!!!! They bend over backwards to help you. Hubby and i were talking about the next days appointment, an employee over heard us, stopped what he was doing and showed us where we needed to go. Another time we asked where elevator "U" was and the stopped and helped us. With the MRI issues we are having they called us the last 2 nights after 8 pm to get the issue resolved. I can't say enough good things about the hospital and it's employees.

OK, now on to the frugal part of our trip.....
    My friend works part time at DG and set us home with a lot of treasures! 6 bags of Tide pods, 2 bottles of All powder, 2 bottles of Dawn dish soap, a set of copper knives, a copper casserole pan, those throw away aluminum pans of various shapes and sizes, 2 cans of frebreeze, a small fiirepit, I know there was more but I can't thing of what it was. they also gave us a small charcoal grill they bought 3 years prior but have ever used and a house plant.

We also stopped by another friends house and he paid us the $ he borrowed a year ago and we spent the night.

co-workers packed us a bag of snacks, water, puzzle books, small blanket, coffee creamer, hair ties....for our trip and wrote wishes and prayers on the outside of the bag. That was so sweet and to helpful!!!
    While we were gone friends and family tended to the garden and the animals.

this heat sucks! I'm read for fall :-)

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, some kind of re-enactment event? Yeah, there is no packing light for those.

LL, I hope hubby's surgery goes well and he is recovering soon.

Everyone else, stay cool. I think it is going to be HOT everywhere for the next few days.

Staying home today. Need to make a grocery list and menu plan for next week. I paid bills yesterday. Do need to make a short trip to pick up medication from the local pharmacy. All cats are watered, indoors and out. I have my choice of crafts, books, and housework to keep me busy. Chili dogs and salad for dinner. Easy and I won't have to heat the kitchen very much.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL, hoping for the very best for you both on this journey. Scary stuff, and so much coming at you at once. Happy for you your team seems to top notch. Keep us posted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sounds like they gave good advice and didn't pussyfoot around. and a very nice place. fingers crossed all goes well. plus bonus all the goodies!

ch it is an overseas scouting camp in the country my parents are from..so all relatives are there. so lots and lots of people. so doing a mix tourist, visiting relatives, going to england too. the camp has lots of things going on. not a reg camp at all. so everyone decorates their area with their country esp for visitors day. try to bring home treats so found maple butter. not really here but works and goes far on bread. our camp is steampunk so just some dressup stuff. crests to trade. bringing gifts for relatives. which will make space for things I buy to bring back. plus other groups are doing other trips before in europe too but they will be in scout stuff the whole time. I won't so I want normal clothes too. plus to be blunt if we have our periods and get leaks etc I want clean pjs so will bring 2 pairs. because even handwashing etc things need to dry. or washer. and the bits and pieces. ac converters etc.

got some euros etc today. got a bunch of errands done. getting requests from friends lol using up fresh stuff

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL- So glad you have wonderful doctors and friends! That means so much when there's a major illness and help is needed. We have been through that and our church friends were so wonderful as well.

DH2 still hasn't received the results from his last physics test. He's extremely nervous about it. He got a call from a job application. Hopefully, it will result in a seasonal job.

I made chicken & rice for dinner while others had Chick-Fil-A using gift cards. Tomorrow is grilling day since everyone is saying it is going to be a heat wave and DH doesn't want the oven on. So, it will be some tenderloin and chicken strips marinated in wing sauce.

Have laundry going at 1 am now... I rode my stationary bike too. I do that after work at night.

Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061 ... LastLast