2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 59
Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 94956575859606162 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone!!

I'm just hanging around the house and pecking at housework. I've run a load of dishes in the dishwasher, put away the home canned jars in the cupboard and reorganized them, the top of the fire place has had junk on it since we moved in a year ago - no more! It's all moved and put away. I unboxed and put away the last box from our move.

We picked a volunteer watermelon last night, It weighed 19.4 pounds! I cut it open today and it's good, not the sweetest melon I've ever eaten but it is far from the worst. I'll wait longer to pick the next one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL MDA is the very best....huge isn't it....my friend went there for over 20 years...can you imagine that bill??? Glad we didn't get Barry.....glad you were able to get here and back with no incident....Praying for your husband and your family.
    19 lb. watermelon is a big melon....WOW....I love melon but you know what I hate about it.....cutting it....I have one small one in my refrig now and I have got to cut it but keep putting it off....

It's been really hot here.....dr. has a limit on my fluids.....no more then 40 oz a day.....which isn't much!!! So I try not to do anything outside and nothing that I get overheated....today I had to drag in three huge boxes of groceries I ordered from Krogers black Friday sale....they cancelled about half but I got a bunch for less then $100....we eat a lot of DelMonte green beans so I got 36 cans for .50 cents a can....should last me till Nov. when Target usually has them for .50 cents. And I have two grandsons living on their own now so he way I show my love is to load them up on groceries....anyone else do that????

Got two bookcases for free yesterday. One is about 8 ft. tall and the other one is 6 ft. tall....Before I knew about these free bookcases, I had placed a bid on two on an online auction for $3 each and wouldn't you know, I won both.....now I have a abundance of bookcases....guess each one of those grandkids will get a bookcase.

Have a great weekend.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll pick up DVDs from the library on Sunday, maybe some $.50 used paperbacks since I don't have to worry about return date. Leftover chicken in wraps for supper, bean salad for me. Saturday will spend the whole day traveling & attend hubby's aunt's 90th birthday party. Neighbor will check on the dog during the day but he probably won't let her take him out for a walk so he is stuck waiting until I get home. At least saved on paid dog-walker service - they said they were totally booked and could not do it. I think next week I'll work extra hours, starting Sunday at home. Too hot to do anything outside. Extra pay would be good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Except for a quick trip to the PO and a bit of shopping, stayed home today. Too too hot out. Dinner was pan seared chicken, steamed rice with asian seasoning, a microwaved bag of edamame, and fresh spring rolls with vinegar.

DH got us a copy of The Right Stuff for tonight. Sunday we are going to watch Space Cowboys. Both good movies.

Going to a hobby show tomorrow, may stay for some evening events, we will see. Means lunch and maybe dinner out, someplace cheap.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

just puttered around the house housework, getting ready for trip. taking requests for souvenirs. got my pedicure, ran errands. leftovers for dinner. made the list of what to do like clean litter boxes etc while gone. electronics are being weird so who knows what I will bring. watching just add magic w dd.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very hot here for New England, was able to do only a short walk this morning. Probably staying in all day in my one AC room. Ran the AC for the first time last night. Maybe salad for lunch and cold cereal for dinner. Might make ice cream.

LL, reading your post reminds me of going through cancer with DH. We were thinking of going to MDA but he went downhill fast and it never happened. Your DH sounds like mine, a bit stubborn and has his own ideas!! Hope you have a good outcome. Glad you are at a top facility. I cringe when I hear people getting treated for cancer at a third rate hospital.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another hot day here in Houston....going to go to Dollar General and get some Tide and Gain pods for the food pantry. Going to pick up a few school supplies that are on sale for great grandson. Other then that doing nothing....

Picked up my bookcases yesterday and they are quite nice for being just cheap woodlike….I have unpacked three cases of books and have three more to go....lots of room....I'll have plenty to read for the next couple of years....one grandson is taking the six foot bookcase for his apartment and the larger one will go to other grandson for his garage.....other then having to shuffle them around, husband was happy with the purchase and didn't complain too much....

My neighbor came over yesterday and cleaned for me....gave her a huge bottle of detergent, a couple bottles of dawn, paper towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toilet tissue and kleenix ….she won't take money....going have to restock.... between the food pantry, my two grandsons, friends needing things, I am running low.

Stay cool and don't forget to stay hydrated in this heat....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our trip Saturday was very nice (big birthday party bash with BBQ & huge cake). But it was tiring traveling in the heat.
    Stayed indoors today and worked from home for extra pay. Did laundry. No spending or driving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BWPeg - Yes, MDA is HUGE! 20 years? Dang, that's a long time but it would have been a lot shorter time without such wonderful people doing all they can to cure the cancer.

josantoro - Big hugs! I hope there were some happy memories mixed in. I agree, no sense wasting, time, money or your life with third rate medical care.

Yesterday I went to walfart because of a sale on cow compost for the garden - I want raised beds for the root veggies especially the carrots. I bought 4 - 30# bags of gypsum for $1 each, 6 - 50# bags of cow manure, damaged $2.40 ea, 4 - 50# bags that weren't damaged $3 each. Sounds stupid to buy dirt but it was 620# for less than $31. Then I stopped at Save-a-lot and picked up discount ground beef 15# for $2.19/#.

Yesterday I made stir fry. I made my own sauce - pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Also lo chicken from the freezer, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, and from the garden - garlic, yellow squash, zucchini, yard long beans and loofa. Yep, loofa, you can eat them up to @10" long and they tasted just like the squash. It was my first time trying them and I will definitely eat them again.

Today I made 3.5 gallons of tomato juice. I canned 2.75 gallons and used the rest to make a huge batch goulash. Goulash - homemade tomato juice from the garden, $1 elbow noodles, 2# ground beef $4.40, garlic and onion from the garden, salt & pepper. 20 servings for $5.40. Served it company today and will be eating on it all week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hot again today but should cool off Tues-Sat. Storms & flooding this afternoon/evening. Sheesh. Leftovers for supper. I'll be willing to turn the oven on later in the week when it cools down. I need to go by the library for those DVDs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heat won't be too bad today. In the 80's. It's been raining and flooding but it cools things off. The plants are loving it.

DS2 has been asking for shorts and also told me he needed a backpack. I looked at LL Bean but they were out of stock. I ended up getting one from UnderArmour and it probably won't last as long as a LL Bean one, but his is ripping and the sale looked good. I got him 2 shorts from Sears. Another good sale. I hope he likes these things as he's not a shopper and I'm not sure of his style. I asked if he wanted new sneakers as he's been wearing his for 3 years (that I can remember) but he didn't want any. The back-to-school sales are a great time to get him these things.

DS2 got a phone call for a job and will interview tomorrow.

I got a paint chip kit from ebay for a used sink that we got from Craigslist. I hope it works. I watched videos on people fixing holes and chips in their sinks so I'll give it a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting closer to being back to routine. Gdaughter will be with us for another week. Going to really miss her. Going to my first rehearsal tonight. We are going to bake cocoons(Cajun version of Mexican wedding cookies) and work on doll clothes. Spent the weekend in Oklahoma visiting brother and family. I’m tired and it is dangerously hot. I’m ready for fall.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally cooled off here (New England). Only needed to run the AC 2 nights.
    Make America Kind Again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cooled off here too, but still warm and very humid. Need to check the garden. We had good rain last night, there may be things to pick. Had a migraine for breakfast, ugh. Fortunately they don't last long, just can't do anything for a while. Have the usual house work to do, may run out for one or two things if it doesn't get any hotter. Thawing chicken for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going to a credit union tomorrow to discuss refi options. It's a new place to us and honestly, I don't see us doing a refi for several reasons. But DH wants to inquire and so we will check it out.

DS2 got an email that he won a scholarship (2 weeks ago, he was a semi-finalist).It was extremely generous at $2500.

I'm going to try to make applesauce muffins. I saw the recipe in one of my cooking magazines.

Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 94956575859606162 ... LastLast