2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 63
Page 63 of 108 FirstFirst ... 13536061626364656673 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

GB, that is a great price for salmon. I am just about out of fish, I stocked up during Lent sales. Will have to keep an eye out for a bargain.

We tried jumper cables and trickle charger on DH's car yesterday and could not get it to start. Battery is 5 years old so we think it is toast. Truck will be here sometime to move it over to our friendly neighborhood mechanic shop. It was going tomorrow for an inspection and new windshield anyway. DH is working from home again today.

BIL is not home yet. They got delayed due to weather and stuck in Philadelphia at 11pm last night.

Going to look through the ads and make a grocery list and then hopefully have time to work on my christmas sewing.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to three DG's today looking for the 18 count pencils 2 packages for a dollar....all three stores had none....will try again tomorrow as I have a $5 off $15 school supplies. I need those pencils as I am completely out.....I have about 150 pencil and family packs done to be used as fillers for shoeboxes that come thru distribution centers with no school supplies. Many people don't realize that in third world countries children can not go to school without their own supplies. And, my great grandsons second grade list is asking for 48 #2 pencils (20 kids in class x 48 = 960 pencils for one class for one year!) ....and these poor children make 6-8 pencils last a lifetime....something is wrong with this picture...
    Husband had tooth pulled yesterday so tonite we are having scrambled eggs for dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found a dime while walking the dog, completed a survey worth $3. I made "salad" with corn, black beans, tomato, onion, lime juice, oil, parsley and spices. Ate it with tortilla chips and liked that. There are leftovers. Hubby won't eat anything with beans, he had a sandwich for supper and went to a meeting. Watched a DVD and finished hemming a top. I have fabric for another top to match a skirt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bookworm, I got pencils last week 2/$1 at the grocery store. Might check around.

Dlr, the corn salsa sounds delicious. I have had it some places but never made it myself. Perfect for a hot day.

Truck came and took DH's car. Battery was shot, as we expected. They are keeping it until Monday, so DH gets my little car tomorrow.

BIL got home finally.

We had some of the pork chops they left behind, and leftover pasta. Lot of leftovers for tomorrow, too.

BTW, checked the price of salmon, $4.99 for a 4oz portion. That is $20/lb! Outrageous. One of the joys of living in the midwest. Our corn and beef are great, the fish not so much.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Contrary- Glad the truck only had a battery issue. Five years is the usual time before they go. Sometimes 6 years can be gotten.

Peg- I agree about the school lists. I was never given a list as a kid and it was understood that we provided our own book covers (we used paper bags), notebooks, pens/pencils. My kid's lists were incredible as well. We had lists that required a disposable camera (?), 3 boxes of tissues, marker erase board and 3 markers(?) and the list goes on. Then we had to buy novels throughout the year and finally... an Ipad. And we were told how much memory, what cost was, and WHERE we had to buy it.... I'm sure the school got a nice kickback for all of our purchases.....

I have some linen curtains that I was thinking of bringing to the dry cleaners. Years of dust accumulation and I wasn't sure about the fabric. Then I remembered I had a box of Dryel in the laundry area that is 3+ years old and thought I'd give it a try. It looks like it did its job and the fabric looks good, so I'm sure I saved $10 or more.

Making tacos for dinner today with chicken, Mexican rice, onions, salsa and Mexican cheese.

Went to court yesterday to try to get $ from the ex-tenants for damages and they didn't show. No surprise there. But it looks like the court won't issue a bench warrant for failure to appear in court either. In the end, we were told to contact a lawyer or collections agency to try to get our money. I called several collection agencies and in the end, was told to take it as a tax write-off and move on. DH was fuming and I wasn't much happier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is 3rd day we were supposed to get rain, so far have gotten none. I hope it rains some, plants are drooping. I'm rather glad I did not try to garden this year as most folks don't sound successful.
    I received a Kohl's $5 coupon because they are changing their "rewards" program. Expires the end of the month so I'll try to think of something I need. I do want leather sneakers by winter but waiting for a good sale. The sneakers with mesh uppers aren't warm enough when it is cold out.
    I think I will get a couple dozen eggs and feed dad egg salad on Saturday. Not sure what supper will be tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It’s so hot here. Managed to get the herb bed weeded. Going to pull up the cucumber vines and work on the front flower bed this morning before it gets too hot. Nothing much more today. DH is working late, so not cooking dinner here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH has taken my car and gone off to work, so I finally get some peace and quiet. It's only a half day, though. Shopping list is made, need to print an August calendar and plan next week's meals. Hanging out tomorrow with friends, so I need to get a few things together to take with us. Ought to run some laundry to.

Dlr, there's a massive storm just west of us, moving south. It looks like it should roll in any minute, but it won't. I may put the hose on, since I just planted beans.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just spent a while out in the humidity (79%) and figured out we have almost everything we need to add a 3x4 section to the porch on the cabin. We will only have to buy the decking. The rest is all lumber we've salvaged AKA free. That's good news on 2 fronts, saving money and using up stuff. Three, really, because the stuff we salvaged isn't in the landfill now.

I finished up the little table we salvaged last week. I'm giving it to my mom for her plants. Something else saved from the landfill. It was in pretty sad shape when I got it, but it was an easy rehab project and fun to see it come back to life.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190802_100832_1564759611717.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rujerro a camera????? Ipad???? OMG....I think I would have been at the school asking lots of questions....
    I got the pencils I needed today. I did look at Krogers today for school supplies but didn't find anything that was on sale (well, at the price I wanted to pay I should say....I'm cheap)
    I did pick up some salmon for $5.97 a pound. Wish I had gotten a couple more packages.
    SD I love that table....very nice....
    My car said it was 103 today....can't handle that heat....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD- That table is beautiful.

Gotta go back to Target for a few more things so I can fix stuff around the house. I dusted various things in the house but have a way to go. I refolded the linen closet and my biggest hurdle will be the basement as I wish I could toss a lot in the trash but it's not mine. DS1 may be getting a promotion that doubles his salary and hinted at moving out. I'm sure he will if that happens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

haven't been in school for decades and didn't have kids, what exactly do they do to you if you don't buy all the school supplies?
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD— I love finding things and redoing. Guess it goes along with my teaching and directing.

I am a retired teacher and I know that many school districts don’t have money to purchase things for student use. I spent much of my own money when I taught, but things are getting a bit out of hand. My DIL teaches kindergarten and she has actually received grants from some kind of fund my project site for teachers that allowed her to get expensive things for her classroom. My GD’s school does fundraising fun activities throughout the year that results in the parents not to having to buy anything in the way of school supplies. Unfortunately some groups that give away backpacks of supplies to the less fortunate use poor quality supplies in their packs. I have started picking up quality supplies throughout the year and donating them directly to a school that does not have the funding to assist teachers or parents.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm at dad's and already mopped the floors. Going to vacuum in a bit and do a course for work on the computer. Lunch is "smorgasboard" of HB eggs, baby carrots, Ritz crackers, maybe sliced tomato for dad and pickles for me.

Last night I mixed a half-batch of snack cake mix and made 1 layer in the microwave. Flavor is OK but texture is off of course. I really need to buy groceries on Sunday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought 6 bags of mulch and spread but ran short. More next time. I was not sure how many bags would fit in my car but now I think 10 bags max. I weeded for several hours, 2 trash cans full of weeds.
    We need a new mattress pad. $14 at Kohls after coupon and $5 reward. I need to pick up later and I may make some other stops while out.