2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 74
Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 246471727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1216
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another show today

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

rujerro that isn't too bad then. I don't mind a bit of haggling. but not insulting like $1 on a $20 and then say give me free stuff on top of it.

got the basement cleaned up a bit at least yesterday before stuff from mils came in. all I smell is old cooking oil from the photo albums we took from her place..she like to fry with no fan on. always that or rotten perfume. have a bunch of cloth jewelry boxes in a bag w coffee at the moment. so will take out photos and clean picture frames.

..up really early so will be dead this afternoon. cleaned up kitchen and ran dishwasher, ds having his friends around for his bday. have to see if the cat peed somewhere because we found a puddle in the dining room when we came home last night. he is going out w friend so he can get some groceries we need like milk and drop stuff at library. have food for party. may get pizza later we will see.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When did food get so expensive? Went this morning for basics: bread, milk, eggs, vegetables, cottage cheese, TP and towels, cat food, pasta, sour cream, potatoes, canned beans, cereal. Only bought chicken breast on sale for .88/lb. Everything else store brand or on sale. $94!!!

Was going to start a double batch of chili for the freezer, forgot to get ground beef. Going to do baked stuffed potatoes today instead.

Got home and found the brand new electric kettle DH bought is already broken. Used it for the first time this morning Now it won't turn back on. Must have fried a part. DH will take care of getting it replaced.

Seriously thinking about making a pie with the apples our friends gave us. They are smaller, old fashioned apples, with a good slightly tart flavor. Good eating, but will be better in a pie. Not sure what to do with the pears. I know I could make jam, but I already have uneaten jars of pear jam in the basement. And cherry jam, and blueberry jam, and... you get the idea.

M, a good airing in the sun will take care of a lot. Also, I found when cleaning my MIL's place years ago that Formula 409 will remove built on cigarette smoke and kitchen grease.

GB, glad to hear your show is a success!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Contrary- I don't think prices have gone down once they announce some type of shortage. Remember the bird flu and eggs/chicken/turkey was high? Or the pumpkin shortage? Store brand is even costly. Or the price of oil is up, so trucking items across the USA makes everything go up in price.... I could go on....Oh wait, now it's the tariffs. Tariffs on chocolate, sardines, soy, etc...

DH smoked chicken today. After work, I dumped some of it in the crock pot, added celery, carrots, broth, mix and will have soup tomorrow. I'll cook out egg noodles to add to it at the last minute.

I saw that our inside of the fence needs to be painted. DH painted it 2 years ago, ran out of paint, and gave up. So, it has black streaks and stains all over it from wear & tear/sprinkler/sun. It's only a small portion of the fence that needs to be done and I asked what the name of the paint was and where to buy it and he refused to tell me and stated that I always want him to do projects. Well, he had to paint the fence 2 years ago because the HOA sent a letter demanding that the fence be painted. I had every intention of doing this small part of the fence and just needed the name and place of purchase. He was in a mood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunday's dog club picnic, aerial view. There were 19 Shelties there, 14 in this picture. 2019 Frugal Challenge-img_0954-sm.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlr, looks like it was a nice time. So many good doggies!

I made fish tacos and we had leftover rice & beans to go with it. Brought home some cookies and brownies from my quilt bee.

I think I will get stuff ready to make a big batch of chili tomorrow.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ch I have tried to clean the picture frames etc all stuff that we will get rid or give back to sil. the tins w money smell too but the tin or plastic margarine tubs aren't worth it. the jewelry boxes are in a bag w coffee. have rotten perfume smell.

groceries always going up seems $100 everytime I am at the store.

watched one of those makeover renos shows and yes they needed some work but a good declutter and owning some things like bookcases would have worked ..like had one kid but would have thought they had 10 with the amount of stuff every room/surface etc toys or multiple kid chairs.. 3 fridges ..like was only a small house. sometimes being frugal is just taking care of what you have.

got the hall rental done for mil. got the store checking on ordering pot mums for mil tea. went to food court w friend w grandbaby..game store for gift card for ds plus dollar store for birthday decor. ds 15th tomorrow my baby family one chinese food. haven't cooked for days lol leftovers tonight or made your own. cus no one ate the lasagna or pie from last wed. so crows. sausages too. had leftover hot and sour soup.

had to get fh and gas because on empty another thing going up again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh yes, I agree that taking care of your stuff so it lasts is a big part of being frugal. You don't have to buy new stuff if you don't abuse it in the first place. And I will sometimes spend more for better quality so I don't have to replace it down the road. 3 pair of cheap shoes costs more in the long run than 1 pair of good quality shoes.

Was reading about the tariff war with China last night. Ugh. It all comes out of our pockets.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes and if you have stuff all over and not put away nicely makes your place look really bad. pouring rain broke down and put on the heat because in the 50s today. so just cleaning up the house and getting ready for family coming over for ds bday. just clutter from mils and going though things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha- Happy Birthday to DS! The party sounds like a good one.

Dlrcpa- The pup picnic looks nice. Our town has a "doggie splash" where people bring the pups for a swim in the in-ground pools before they close for Fall season.

I made enchiladas with miscellaneous items. The jalapeno plant produced and I added those to some hatch chiles, Mexican cheese, DH's smoked chicken and Mexican rice /pasta blend (I ran out of white rice). I thought it was good, although the family said it was "meh." I think they're used to a particular taste when I make these and the thing is, DS2 usually says that my enchiladas "don't taste like anything." I thought that these would have serious flavor!

DS1 hasn't been feeling well. He's been to ER and has a MD appt tomorrow. We're guessing its a kidney stone but unsure. He's had 3 different antibiotics in 3 days, along with ibuprofen. Says he has a rash on face, although I see pink areas on face. Not red dots or anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weather has been nice but no rain for about a month? Need to water bushes again. Planning to work from home FRIDAY. Hubby has a long work day out of the house so it will be quiet. Try to get misc. chores done tonight (laundry, de-clutter). I need to do something w/ leftover chicken for supper, or else it will be pasta & meatballs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The final weekend of shows and it will be a done deal. Gonna miss it, but ready for a break. Making apple pie bread and poblano pepper and squash soup to take tonight for the gang. It has been hot here, but rain is coming tomorrow. Swam in the pool last night. Not sure how long I have before the water is too chilly. Still gathering okra.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's been hot all week but they say we will get a break tomorrow and then our cool fall rain will start on Saturday. We could use some in the garden. Speaking of which, I need to get out this morning and check for beans, peppers, and whatever else is ready to pick.

Furnace is making a noise like an old car that won't start. DH is going to look at it this evening. If he can't fix it with a screwdriver it will be $$$.

Had plans with friends this weekend, but that looks like it is falling apart due to various reasons and excuses. Sunday some of us were going to go out to the renaissance fair, but with 80% chance of rain that may not happen either.

Started packing some stuff in the basement. Every item has to be wiped off with alcohol to remove any mold spores. The folks who did our kitchen 5 years ago are coming to give us an estimate on gutting and re-doing the basement. I know they will want a look at how the kitchen is holding up, so I have to clean and mop today. On the plus side, DH has already said we're doing dinner out, so I don't have to cook.

It's going to be a long day.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Battling an early cold here, went to my gig at the food shelf yesterday but went to bed early and got a good 10-12 hours sleep last night . Taking it easy today and drinking echinacea tea. Guess I better get my flu shot earlier rather than later.

Had a little oopsie backing out of my parking space - totally my fault. Dented in the corner of the bumper on my minivan, car I hit had 2 very small dings on the edge of the door. I gave her my number and insurance info. Does anyone know how much your insurance goes up after an accident? Honestly if it was my car the little dings wouldn't bother me, but it was a Volvo and she may want to have the dealer fix it. Oh well. It sounded a lot worse than it looked, on both cars. I really need to be driving a much smaller car, I don't need a minivan anymore.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jo, it will depend on your ins co and policy. We had a couple small accidents years ago, like yours. They did nothing after the first two, and dropped us after the third. The accidents were years apart, and some were not my fault. The good news is I quickly got a new ins co, which had no issue with my minor fender-benders, and gave us a lower rate, too.

The only time we had a company threaten to raise our rate was when DH was unemployed. They must have run a background check or something. He'd had no incidents at all. Again, we simply switched companies.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 246471727374757677 ... LastLast