2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 9
Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst ... 67891011121959 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit, great find on the shoes. Went to a local high school last night to see Cinderella. It was very good. Not doing much today. I audition coach this afternoon with a girl who is preparing for Annie auditions. Making chicken barley soup for dinner with chicken thighs I got for 99 cents a pound.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Car problem when I came out of Safeway. So glad this did not happen yesterday at my dad's house, 65 miles from home. So looks like I am renting a car for a few days. I put a deposit on a new car 10 days ago but it won't be here for 5 weeks. So if the car repair costs more than 5 weeks of car rental it's not worth repairing the car. Sigh.

Hubby making a big batch of chili tonight with meat pulled from freezer. I got $1/lb chicken to make BBQ in the crock pot later this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday I spent too much $ - garden seed orders always get me. However I did find a website that has "rare and exotic" heirloom seeds and bought some new things to try. I also bought some heavy duty antiweed cloth for the strawberry beds and u-stakes to hold it in place. The cloth is supposed to last 10 years at a minimum. If it does, it will be worth it.

Yesterday I made 2 loaves of bread, canned 4 pints of pineapple, making vinegar from the peel and core, I planted the tops and made a HUGE pot of vegetable soup. The soup is at least 20 servings for @$6. I used sale items (including the meat) and home canned garden produce.

No extra driving and no spending other than gas, groceries and the garden seeds mentioned above. Today at the grocery store we spent $78.00 but I got 2 bags of day old veggies for $1 each for the rabbits (regularly $3.60 ea), 2 bags of 4 oranges for $1 each, 3 packs of pork cutlets (ran thru the tenderizer) for $2.50/# (half price), and 2 containers of cracklings for half price. I love that the save-a-lot here has the $1 bags of vegetables because I can normally find something for us or something to feed to the rabbits as they always have collard greens marked down.

Something new we are doing - I always need gas towards the end of the week so we are filling gas cans and using that to fill my car so I can make it through the week without having to pay an extra $6 a fill-up. We then get gas on the weekend when we go to town for groceries. We already have the gas cans so no extra spending on that. At $6 per week (minimum) this will save us at least $300/year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL, can your rabbits eat rye grass or wheat grass? I grow those for our cats at times. I bet you could grow them in shallow trays on a rotating basis for the bunnies. That stuff grows like crazy and gets six inches or more high in a couple weeks or less. Then just set the tray in with the bunnies and let them have at it.

I cut 3 gown fronts from an adult gown tonight. All 3 have pretty beading on them. I should get at least 5 gowns and bonnets from the big gown, which I think I paid $8 for. Matching ribbons will come from donated stash. I had to buy matching thread, but it won't take much to do all the gowns, so most of the spool will go into thread stash for general purposes. I was able to buy the thread with a 25%off coupon.

I finished cutting the angel pockets and sewed 2. I think I have 8 more to sew. Those are fairly simple. What takes me the most time is selecting ribbons and embellishments.

I'm so happy I've picked up all my sewing and crafting stash over the past years, when I've found useful-looking stuff dirt cheap. I rarely need to pay retail for anything. I also live where the nearest fabric store is 70 miles away, so it's not exactly convenient to pick up something if I don't have it. Love my thrifty sewing stash!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going to work at the soup kitchen today. Will pick up veggie scraps for my chickens and bread for us. Need to run by post office and mail some books for a trade. Making spaghetti and meatballs from what I have and pair it with the bread I get today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to work early today to get home early. We are getting 7 inches of snow today and later this evening it could turn to freezing rain. What a mess my driveway will be along with the roads. Ughhh, I really hate winter. Eating out of the pantry and freezer so will have to see what I can come up with for dinner, I'm thinking of some kind of pasta dish.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made a haul at the soup kitchen. Got olive bread, grain bread, English muffins, 2 bags of stir fry veggies, orange cranberry scones, Asian salad kit, BBQ salad kit and southwestern salad kit, as well as, 3 trash bags of veggie scraps for the chickens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the 20s here today. Going to be a frugal day. My neighbor and I are going to lunch with a dollar menu. Watch a movie at the dollar show, pick up our freebies at BB&W and Victoria’s Secret and then I have leftovers thawing for dinner tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Walked a bit this morn in 11 degree weather and snow. Sidewalks not shoveled so it was tricky. Yesterday was a mess with it snowing and we waited an hour for the bus but it flew past the stop as DS2 was running to it. So, DH took DS2 to the train and he amazingly made to his first class on time.

Had a gift card to Lands End as DS2 didn't want his holiday clothing and it got returned. So, the whole family needed swim items and I got 2 of the men cheap trunks that were 40% off with coupon. Got me a rash guard on clearance. All free with the GC.

DH smoked some brisket for his co-workers and they loved it. He now has a side job of smoking meats and they pay him to buy the items and for his time. Today he is smoking 2 pork butts. They give him $10-15 for his time.

Got some items at the market at good prices- dented cereal box for 50% off, brown bananas for 35 cents/lb....

Dinner is ham & scalloped potatoes from a ham that was cooked a few days ago, I'll make banana cranberry orange bread today and who knows what else.

I have a gift card to Target and will get a valentine's day card for my niece. I have one for my nephew and will put some lottery tix in them. I did that for my family as well. The card will be free with the GC.

Back to bed. We set the temp in the house at 65 during the day and my electric blanket is on. I'm quite cold anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still cooking from pantry and freezer keeping heat low and drying most laundry on drying rack and hanger over bath tub.Hoping my car get fixed soon but dreading the bill.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got 12 angel pockets from the .99 piece of satin I got at a thrift. Not bad. All other items used to make the pockets were donated to me, bought at thrifts or garage sales, or salvaged, except the white ribbon for ties. If I had to buy all this stuff retail, I could never afford to do it.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190129_152457_1548799035114.jpg

This pic shows how the pockets will work. The baby is placed inside and the sides are folded in and tied.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190129_152650_1548799151497.jpg

Nothing frugal happening on the heating front, but we did make it all the way up to minus 20 today. &#x1f60a; <-- Red face depicts frostbite.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a pair of panties and a bath bomb at Victoria’s Secret for $2.15 using free coupon and buying something 75% off. Got hand cream and wall flower deodorant from Bath & Body Works using free coupon for flower, combined a $5 coupon for cream with 20% off coupon for a grand total of $4.33.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weeks ago I scheduled a dr. appointment for today and figured as long as I'm in that area, I might as well schedule an appointment for Secretary of State to renew my license. Since it is going to be -39 degrees today, I got a text at 7:30 last night that all Secretary of State offices are closed today. Now I'm hoping that I can reschedule my dr. appointment so I don't have to drive 30+ miles just for one appointment.

If I can stay home today my plans will be to stay warm and get various things done here that I have been putting off. I shoveled paths in the yard for my little dog and put hay on top so at least his feet would be somewhat warmer outside when he has to go out. I'm just happy that being a Chihuahua mix, he is at least willing to go out in this cold for 30 seconds or so!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Plans changed today. Getting a much needed haircut, doing laundry and not much else. It is cold and gray outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not that many of you want to hear that I have spring allergies the last week or so. things are sprouting here. in the 40s. sunny suppose to rain starting tomorrow. so not much happening brain wise here. just reg activities, skipping moms group today. staying home. netflix and crochet..work on mils gift. stiff and sore so didn't sleep well. housework and laundry of course. nagged yesterday ds because pigsty where he sits. why do kids not put garbage in the garbage bin... literally 4 inches away ...instead between bed and wall just dropping stuff on floor. of course the easy route of all the cheese strings instead of cutting cheese. packaged cheese like that is for school lunches. as the litter at his bed showed. so found 2 ends of blocks of cheese that are moldy so will cut off the real bad and cut it up for the crows/seagulls. been throwing out really old crackers/cookies for them. never opened. down 2 packs and have one other. will throw out more later raccoons hungry too. cold overnight and frost in the morning here.

not sure what is for dinner. dd at art so just the boys so can cook different. will look at the downstairs freezer. did run the self clean on the oven this week and went though all the guide stuff in its chest of drawers took out all my stuff vs the groups. clean up and declutter.

Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst ... 67891011121959 ... LastLast