2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 90
Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 408087888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1480
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a nice time taking DS2 to the entertainment center and played bowling, arcade, etc. The discounts helped a lot. Today, we went to brunch and he opened presents at night. He's currently playing his games.

DH fixed the leaking toilet today. I spent 2 hours pruning bushes, gathering thatch under bushes, cut down the butterfly bush, attempted to clean the cement of oil/soot stains. I did ok but will attempt it again after the snow comes tonight...… It's supposed to be nice later this week, so we'll cut down the evergreen bushes and finish cleaning up the leaves. I may convince DH to power wash the house and use up the rest of the Windex house cleaner outside.

I vacuumed my car and cooked out chicken for meals this week. I'm currently making a pumpkin bread w/cranberries. We'll see how it turns out. I've never made it before. After nearly 20 years, I finally figured out why my pumpkin breads were uncooked in the middle. The oven temp was too high. At 350 degrees, most was uncooked. At 300 degrees, I can cook it beautifully.

While the bread is baking, I threw a ham bone and water into the slow cooker to make a stock. I will attempt to make a soup, after the fat is drained. I'll add vegs, leftover pasta, ham that was on bone and put it all back in the cooker (except the pasta) to slow cook. I never did this before and the idea popped into my head.

The Douglas Fir tree that DS1 brought home 16 years ago for Arbor Day in elementary school, has grown to an immense tree. We planted it in front of the house, next to the porch and it is about 10 feet tall and 5 ft wide. I put lights on it one year as it was so cute....The lights are still on it, but hidden near the center. I have more lights that can go on it and may do that. We believe that at some point, it may need to be cut down. The smell of pine is heavenly, though.
    Last edited by rujerro; 11-10-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Temps are suppose to drop rapidly today. Going to work at the soup kitchen then take donations to a group that proceeds go to Habitat for Humanity and then to Scrap to donate old wallpaper and craft items. Still have more stuff to go through, but I’m getting there. Hopefully my sewing room will be organized and ready to go by tomorrow.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Temps are dropping here. Was in the 30's when I got up, now 21. It's snowing and the wind is whipping around. Not expecting much accumulation but it is cold enough to stick and get slippery. Raked leaves yesterday so at least we don't have that on the steps and driveway.

DH has the day off. We are staying in, staying warm. Had sausage biscuits for breakfast, and there are extra for DH breakfasts during the week. Chili dogs for dinner, and since I have apples and pecans I'll make an apple crisp, too.

GB, I love Scraps. Too bad I only get down there once a year or so.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rujerro View Post
    After nearly 20 years, I finally figured out why my pumpkin breads were uncooked in the middle. The oven temp was too high. At 350 degrees, most was uncooked. At 300 degrees, I can cook it beautifully.
    That's interesting. I gave up trying to bake cake years ago because mine never cook in the middle. I shall have to try lowering the temperature next time.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We dropped 66 degrees from yesterday.....And got snow and ice on top of it. Ick

I took the ham bone from the crockpot and took the meat from it. I put the liquid in the refrigerator so I can skim it later. I'll throw in the vegs tonight so dinner is ready for tomorrow. My mom used to take a big pot and throw ham, whole potatoes, and I think, wedges of cabbage in there and boil it all for hours. It was very tasty.

I got $10 from Swagbucks and placed a Walmart order. It will be shipped. I got cleaning supplies, 3 boxes of Rice Krispies and Mrs. Grass homestyle beef vegetable soup mixes. I can put the mixes in the crockpot with beef. It has pasta shells in it but I may take those out and put barley in there instead. The cereal at 1 lb 8 oz was $3.66 a box. It's the cheapest around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are supposed to be getting 8-10 inches of snow today and into tonight. Dh remembered yesterday evening that we didn't even have the driveway markers in, so we had to go out in the dark, with me holding the flashlight to get those in. I didn't go to work, will make it up later in the week. No sense in going out if I don't have to. Nothing has gotten done today, I got word that my former foster dog (lived with us for 4 months and my favorite foster of all time) who had an incredibly hard life before coming into rescue, passed away last night. She was adopted by a wonderful woman so I'm happy that she had a good 15 months with her but it's just so unfair. Just sad and heartbroken.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is sad rabbit. hugs. wonder if where you are makes a difference in the baking. I haven't had a problem with banana bread etc at 350, but takes almost an hour to bake. teaching dd to make leek and potato soup.. she doesn't like bacon in it but..tough lol cooked some a few days ago. she can pick it out. pulled a turkey stuffed roll I got cheap at thanksgiving ..suppose to cook from frozen but that takes a long time so thawing a bit first. have squash turnips etc to use up to roast w it. getting next csa on friday.

lots of teen girl attitude yesterday in a short time ..couple shots of honey whiskey helped lol. we got the tube tv dropped off at sally ann..not wanted even by people w nothing when sally ann gives free furniture ..did work. we just have too many tvs and already a tube one. only really use the one in the living room. pots and pans to scouts locker, rest to value village. laundry on the go and watching dvds and taped shows. tried making cuban sandwiches for first time to use up leftover pork chops last night.. only sweet pickles in the house so not as good as it can be.. the pickles were leftover from mil fridge. thought we had normal ones.

costco was nuts yesterday so walmart it was ..dh got his new shoes. ds has friend over so happy..2 days without seeing friends because no one was available..he is social. cats don't seem to know what to do with themselves either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fyi if you like army of darkness... we watched the first season of future man I had taped...yesterday same vibe good show.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rather warm today 65 degrees but rain & maybe slushy snow tomorrow. I scheduled to work from home. I hope to make the split pea soup (w/ bacon) tomorrow finally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, I'll trade pickles with you. Wanted sweet ones and bought dill by mistake. Went Sunday for food and got a new jar of sweet pickles, and they didn't end up in my bag home. Don't know what the bag kid did with them, I looked when I left and nothing was left over on the register. Too cold to bother going back to the store for a few dollars.

Teens and hormones, oh my. That happens again "later in life".

DH got a copy of "Death Race" for us to watch. Looks like silly fun. I'll ask him about Future Man.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit- Sorry to hesr about the pup. At least you got to spend time with him and love him.

We'll be out and about today, so the ham soup is in the crockpot. I may throw in barley when we get home. If I have time, I'm making chicken enchiladas as a back-up! I saw some recipes that had cream in it or bay leaf/thyme/cumin/pepper flakes.....I didn't do any of that.

Contrary- yep, kids and attitude. I think we were easier on our parents than the kids are to us. At least, that's what DH says.....DS2 gets cranky from school as he's nervous about his tests. DS1 is better than prior years as he's a working man and very tired from his job.

I have a donation pick-up coming this week. Dishes and books, etc....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cat gets an allergy shot this afternoon, so I have to go out. Hope it warms up a bit more. 10F this morning, but bright sunny skies. Got turkey out for dinner, I like to have Thanksgiving all month long. Going to check and see if any bills need to be paid, and then spend some time sewing. Vacation was nice but I really missed my crafts.

Rabbit, sorry to hear about the dog. It's good he was able to find people like you to love him.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my former foster dog. I talked to her owner (texting, since we'd both be crying) last night and I think it was good for both of us. At least she got to see what a good life was, even if it was for not as long as we'd all have liked.

Occasionally I will go back to years prior of the To Do Challenge to see what was going on in my life at the time and what I was posting about. Did that today........made me miss my bunnies. Gosh though were they busy threads, forgot about the people who aren't on here anymore. Time goes by so fast.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still cold today. Took my friend that broke her leg on errands and out to lunch for her birthday. Got nothing done on my laundry/sewing room. Cooked ribs in the crockpot for dinner with corn on cob and peas from freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made a holiday tablecloth out of a piece of fabric I bought as a remnant. Just had to straighten the edges and hem it. Looked at some other projects to work on this week. Need to shop for a few things. Slowly getting back into the routine. Cat got her shot and we came back home. Roads are still a bit icy in places but it is supposed to warm up this week. Been cold all day, even with two layers of clothing and a scarf around my neck. Winter is not my favorite season.

Found a box of fall decor when I put the cat carrier away. Floral arrangement, I think. If I have any energy left tomorrow after yoga I will dig out one of the fall tablecloths from the cupboard and change the kitchen table. Not much going on this week. Trying to get my Thanksgiving menu plan figured out and write a shopping list. Need to double check for a can of pineapple for one recipe...

Use it up, Wear it out,

Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 408087888990919293 ... LastLast