2019 Frugal Challenge - Page 92
Page 92 of 108 FirstFirst ... 428289909192939495102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1614
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's going to be a busy weekend. Grocery store tonight for sale items. Dad-sitting tomorrow. I'm taking sewing machine oil and lubricant to work on an old Singer. It would be good to have a reliable machine there for mending. Sunday I registered for a sort of introduction to K9 Nosework (training dog to detect scents and signal.) It is free, probably just demonstration and info on the classes. One other woman from the club also going. Monday I am off work but taking car for service. Monday night is dog club annual "Photo with Santa" activity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GB- I hope your name is called! Let us know!

DS2 is playing with his new video games with DS1. He said he didn't want any new games for his bday and then DS1 had an extra monitor lying under his bed for years and offered it to DS2 to play games and watch on a big screen. They seem quite happy playing together, although in separate rooms...Strange brotherly bonding....

I was going to bread chicken for dinner and had put it in a water bath to thaw. I totally forgot about it and then it was too late and it went rancid. So, leftovers it was. I got some great deals at the market today: turkey meatballs for $1.49/bag, big tub cool whip $1.79, bags of oranges and mangoes $.99 each, ice cream BOGO..... I was thinking about buying those meatballs to make sandwiches but they're pricey. I saw them on clearance and was shocked and happy to get them at a deal price.

I have a few things to do today....I'll make enchiladas with LO cooked chicken, then I'll work on the porch and we have people this weekend wanting to tour the rental. So, we'll be busy this afternoon. I hope someone with a job and good credit applies so we can get it filled. I hope to make it to the gym too.

Took DS2 to the bank to deposit his bday money. I usually go in with him and direct what to do. This time, I said he can deposit in whichever acct he wants. He was not happy with me. Since they were babies, I've done things to increase their (kid's) wealth. So DS2 feels I'm the guru of his finances. I am trying to let him do adult things alone and have to keep telling myself it's baby steps....Just keep nudging and stepping back. Eventually, he will get it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wasn’t called for the game show, but it was fun to watch. I’m cleaning house and doing laundry today. Tonight a friend and I are going to see one of my theatre kids in Elf.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

raining here. cat peed on shoes again which of course runs over the floor. sigh. planning on going across the border to shop. joanns has sales going on and dh wants to go to harbour freight right there. see what is interesting for xmas. don't want to go near thanksgiving ..borders are crazy.

cats seem to have fleas again don't know what they changed in revolution so now need to go to revolution plus that is available. so $100 or more for that. need to fleacomb them too. not that I feel like it. miss piss pants wouldn't go for it but you can tell when fleas are bugging them. 2 person job here for any of the cats.

no idea what is for dinner. got my winter csa so stocked for root veggies. dd did her sheets since her shoes needed washing too. have lots of hallmark xmas movies to watch I taped. haven't had time to watch them on my own. no one wants else too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tomorrow, more people touring the rental. We'll be busy. Today's people had pets, which are not allowed and was stated on the ads that I'm running....:: I do ask twice about pets, just in case they missed it the first time.

I did try to clean the porch again and rinse the garage floor. The magnesium chloride that is sprayed on the roads eats cement. I'm hoping to get the garage floor epoxied next Summer as I didn't this year. That will take care of any stains/deterioration once the coating is on. Until then, I'll try to keep it clean.

I made dinner but no time to drive to the gym. So I ran on my tread and rode my bike instead. I read on my bike and I thought 10 minutes passed, when it was 30. Good. I got those because of our winters and not wanting to drive in bad weather to the gym.

Our town used to mail out water quality reports but now only show it online. Of course, it shows what they claim to be acceptable by govt standards. They report the contaminants to another group and that report is posted. So, I went to see the other report and couldn't believe what I was reading. The carcinogens in our water, in one case, is 583 times the limit. Others are 200x and the list goes on. I had my sister look at it and she was astounded. I have refused to drink our tap water as the taste is terrible and the smell is even worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, what can you do about the water? I assume you are drinking bottled, what about the rest of your family? Do whole-house filtration systems remove that type of stuff?

Saturday I cleaned & oiled old sewing machine at dad's house. It seemed to sew OK. Not great but maybe good enough. Today a free 2 hour lecture/demo on canine nosework. They offer classes so see if anything I might be interested in trying. Another woman from the dog club is also going. Then work on leaves & yard. I have hamburger, not sure how I'm going to fix it for supper.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can get a 3 stage water filter to put under your sink for less than $100. DH got a couple when he was doing fish tanks and we kept them afterward. It makes a difference. Technically our city water meets or exceeds federal standards, but still has trace elements we don't want. With all the rain and flooding this past summer we also had contamination problems. They never actually said "don't drink the water", but when they announce sewage overflow, you know you don't want to.

DH started taking down the old redbud tree. It has been on its side, held up by a few branches for the last couple of months. He needs to go out with the power saw and slice up the trunk. There is a new young tree growing right next to it, which we will keep.

I have some shopping to do, a few thanksgiving ingredients to pick up and the usual milk/bread/cat food/fresh vegs.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well came home at 8pm to our small kitchen filled w ds and friends making strudel. he is always in the kitchen when we are away...ds tried making phyllo dough.. just say he doesn't like to listen to why you do things certain ways. like why won't the paper come off the pan or the strudel.. cus you used wax paper not parchment paper. and borrowed flour from the neighbours.. I am you could have texted I was grocery shopping. cus I need flour to make playdough for scouts tomorrow. and he got to learn how to clean up flour properly..you know i ran my hand down the counter etc you can still feel it so ...got to do it again. so dh is off getting flour etc dry cat food too. some things are cheaper up here or same price so no use buying it in states. did get a bunch of sale items from fred meyers love their 10 for 10 sales.

got xmas gifts.. ds needs more pants so close to xmas so got them from walmart across the border couple sweatpants and blk jeans. pjs for dd. joanns got some gifts for neighbour. and dh got me one. got ds to cut up a bunch of carrots and onions for carrot soup. have so many carrots so to use them up. my easy cold buster soup too. carrots , onions and garlic cook and then blend w seasonings. for some reason though the carrots take hours to cook so not a quick one. ordered harry potter and marvel surprise boxes from europe..so pricey but still works out for what you get and surprises for the kids to open on xmas.

we also got the revolution plus and a flea spray for furniture etc too from vets. raining a lot today so not going to put it on them today .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so found out 8 eggs used up out of the $8 farm eggs.. cus he messed first batch of dough ..didn't keep any yolks recipe was for egg whites apparently. 4 teen boys and no one thought to eat them. explains what happened to the flour..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah, up and coming cooks.....Well, mine won't cook much, although DS1 makes eggs and bagged frozen dinners on occasion.

We drink/use a ton of bottled water. The group that reported these findings say that reverse osmosis will get rid of a lot of it, but charcoal doesn't get rid of the really bad stuff. I'll look into water filtration systems but just doing a quick calculation, we spend about $330 a year on bottled water. Not purified, but real spring water.

Martha- what are the name of those marvel boxes from Europe?

The tours went well today. I think we'll accept one of the applications and notify them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Vacation day - taking car in for service (free for first 20K miles) then rake leaves and dog club photos w/ Santa program tonight. Hamburgers for supper. Must eat less, all my pants are too tight...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I’m working in the soup kitchen and then dentist appointment. Nothing else .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quiet day at home today. Going to get chicken pot pie filling out of the freezer, for supper. Should be warming up to about 50, but it's cloudy. Looks like a normal fall, not that crazy snow we had last week.

Forgot to get milk yesterday, but we have plenty at the moment and I am going out tomorrow for Dr appt & vaccination. I can pick up some on my way home.

Putting my first christmas cards into the mail today.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - wow, you already have Christmas cards done! Mine never seem to get done, I wish I could make myself get them out early, that is probably the only way it will ever happen.

Picked up cat food today which I totally forgot to get yesterday when we were shopping. Stopped for gas today and paid $2.19 a gallon, that's the lowest it's been in a long time. After Dh's colonoscopy last week his Dr. wanted him to have a endoscopy too. That is scheduled for Wednesday. The office called today because ins. didn't want to okay it. Finally got that cleared up so he's all set for Wednesday. Nice warmer day today, before I went to work I took the dogs out and walked through snow, when I came home it was all gone, just a little bit under the pine trees left. Glad it's gone. Did my weekly call with my mom on the way home from work, I really wish we had a better relationship, after we talk I want to run through the woods screaming.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LOL! Rabbit, I didn't say I had the cards done, only the first few in the mail. That's only because I belong to a penpal website where people sign up to trade holiday cards. I'll be sending them through the end of the month, one or two at a time.

Dr office called. Apparently I messed something up when I sent my payment in. Glad we got that straightened out.

Hope your DH's procedure is "by the book".

Use it up, Wear it out,