2019 Frugal Challenge
Page 1 of 49 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2019 Frugal Challenge

Guess I’m starting this frugal challenge this year. I’ve got pork loin that I paid 99 cents lb. in the crockpot, black eyed peas soaking and going to cook cabbage, cornbread, and mashed potatoes. No spending today. Hope you have a very frugal new year. Also reading a free paperback.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby is going to make soup w/ beef bones. I received a Kohl's $5 reward by email (guess I spent $50 at Christmas). Making do without a microwave for a couple of days. I dug out the electric kettle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We cooked 1.5 pounds of black eyed peas overnight in the crockpot with hm ham broth. Today I added lo ham from Christmas. It was too salty so I added a few diced potatoes and they soaked up a lot of the extra salt. We ate this for breakfast. lol I saved all the ham scraps to feed to the cats and dog as a treat.

I took 2 small containers of lo hm sauerkraut with ham hock out of the freezer for lunch. We ate it with a few slices of butter bread from a loaf of hm bread that was given to us. Supper will be lo.

No spend, no drive. Instead we spent 2 hours cleaning up leaves. The yard looks a lot better but we still have a long way to go.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had the shrimp I had planned for Xmas dinner for my NY dinner. Made some yellow rice and coleslaw to go with. Invited my neighbor to join me, she was sleeping when I texted but came over for leftovers later. I used the shells to make shrimp stock and will try a shrimp bisque tomorrow.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sleet mixed with rain today. Making potato soup tonight with my 99 cent bag of potatoes mixed with lo mashed potatoes for thickening. Will make cornbread to go with it. Finished reading a free paperback and starting another. Doing laundry and making a grocery list for later in the week.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just very cold and grey here. Going to the gym and then coming home. Potato soup sounds really good. We are having stewed green beans and tuna salad sandwiches. DH is going to try and get movie passes from work so we can go out tonight.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a good score at Walgreen's today. Stopped to get something for DH and saw holiday flavored protein bars marked down in the christmas aisle so I got a couple. Register spit out a $3 off coupon for the brand, so I went back and was able to get a bunch more for free! And another $3 coupon.

Also they have $29 Yankee Candle gift sets marked half price. I'm going to check in a few days and see if they go lower.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked on finances from 2018 this morning and our monthly expenses were down across the board except for 2 of my line items. So now I can set a budget for this year. Anticipating fewer big expenses this year since we got a really good vehicle last year and we've paid off our attorneys' fees for various legal issues. My grocery expenditures were down because we have made a concerted effort to waste less food.

No money spent so far this year

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had lunch at my grandparents’ with my mom, uncle, and 7 year old cousin. Went grocery shopping on my way home and I’m gonna fold laundry before I go to bed.

Six people died in a large train accident on Denmark’s largest bridge this morning Nobody I know was on the train. The authorities still aren’t sure why it happened.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/02/e...ntl/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/w...e=sectionfront

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just saw that 2 minutes ago here on TV, Tine. They said something flew off a freight train due to high winds in a storm, and hit the passenger train which forced it to brake suddenly. Of course I have no way to know if all that is true. It looked like a terrible accident.

I used stuff on hand to make a new couch quilt for Husby. I used 3 fleece remnants for the back.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190102_122318_1546471330944.jpg
    I had 2 wolf panels and stash fabric and thread for the front.
    2019 Frugal Challenge-20190102_122426_1546471545257.jpg
    I like how it turned out, and I'm happy to have put some of my stash to use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful, SD. The embroidery piece I’m doing is slow intricate work, but I will finish it this month. Still raining and cold here. Going to work in the costume room today. Trying to help get it organized. Got sad news that one of my homeless clients that I saw every Monday was hit by a train and killed Sunday. Her memorial is this Sunday. My frugal thing today is to cook the rest of rice in pantry and add it to lo red beans from the fridge and finish off lo cornbread from yesterday for tonight’s dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - That's beautiful!!

Yesterday and today I brought leftovers to work for lunch. Last night was lo for supper. I'm already tired of black eyed peas and we have 3-4 more servings to go, might need to freeze the rest.

I filled the car with gas last night and grumbled at my DH for not filling it up when he went to town on New Years Day. I paid $2.38/gallon, that's $0.60/gallon more than he would have paid.

It poured down rain all day yesterday (4-6"), all night last night and it's supposed to rain all day today (4-6"), tonight, and tomorrow....The ground is saturated and trees have fallen across the road on my route to work. I'm ready for this place to dry out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry about your friend, GB.

Stay safe, LL.

I made my WW crack pretzels, so I have those for breakfast and snacks, premeasured to help prevent bingeing.

I also mixed up a new batch of nearly salt free taco seasoning using pantry items.

Worked on the 9 patch quilt using cheap thread and fabric from GW.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Beautiful and sunny here, and above freezing! I got a sewing project done this morning and plan to go out and enjoy the day. Freezer chili thawing for dinner, l/o cornbread to go with that.

Popped online this morning to pay property taxes, noticed our 2017 tax on the house did not go up, and valuation on the cars went down, saving us about $30 compared to the year before. Which isn't a lot, but considering all the work the city does NOT do around here it's ok. We were officially declared a "derelict" neighborhood last year. Really it's not so bad, and if the city would fix the roads, signs, street lights, and get on people who don't keep up their property it could be a lot nicer.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had lunch with my mom today and helped her put away Christmas decorations in the attic. I dropped things off at a thrift store and bought some underwear on sale.

Page 1 of 49 123411 ... LastLast