My gf is a vegeterian
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My gf is a vegeterian

Hey! Recently I found out that my new gf is a vegeterian. I'm ok with it and I'm readt to support her fully, but I'm not gonna change my own nutrition with meat included. Is it hard to keep such relationship?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, welcome! Why don't you ask her how she feels about it?
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My adult son is a vegetarian, but he became a vegetarian after he moved away from home. But there are still things that come up when we get together.

The first issue is whether she is okay with you eating meat in front of her. Some vegetarians are okay with it, but others are not. A related question: Is she going to make negative remarks about people who eat meat or pressure you to give up meat? Again, some vegetarians try to push their choices on others and some are more tolerant of people who are not vegetarian.

Assuming she is accepting of you eating meat a few more issues come up.

Eating out together

Last year my husband and I traveled back to our hometown with our adult son. Whenever we went out to eat, we had to make sure that the place offered vegetarian options. Because of that, I was not able to eat at a couple of my favorite places. Please note that vegetarian options means a main dish that is vegetarian friendly. A side salad with fries do not count as a vegetarian option.

meals at home

If you get serious enough to get married or share a home other issues arise. Do not expect her to cook meat for you. If she cooks your meals, they will all be vegetarian. If you cook, you will need to either not have meat for the meal or cook two different main dishes. I suppose you could both cook for yourself. There should at least be side dishes you could share.

My husband and I have two holiday dinners (on different days). One is a vegetarian dinner with our son. The other is our regular dinner with more traditional food. For some people, traditional foods for holidays are an important part of the celebration. So holidays together can be tricky.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Foster456 View Post
    Is it hard to keep such relationship?
    It's as hard as you make it. I've been a vegetarian since I was 15. I've been through two marriages and a number of relationships, mostly with omnivores, and it's never been an issue. I even had meat-eating stepkids for awhile.

Cooking doesn't have to be difficult. Make dishes that can be customized for each of you... pasta sauce can easily be made with and without meat, proteins can be added to stirfries at the end. Even holidays don't have to be tricky, it's easy enough to make Thanksgiving stuffing with veggie broth and leave some outside of the bird, most of the other traditional sides are vegetarian (not vegan) by default. Add a nut roast and some gravy and you're good to go.

It's not that difficult.

100% debt free in 2015... in strategic, mindful debt since 2017. Not all debt is bad
    Blogging at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If your girlfriend was lactose intolerant would you think it would be harder to maintain a relationship? You would eat dairy, she wouldn't. Same difference.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON