2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 110
Page 110 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1060100107108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1689
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. Back to work on relocating drain pipe. I'm stopping daily whenever my back says so. Tedious digging with trowel since so much rock and junk next to house, regular shovel isn't helpful. I have 2 chicken recipes out, will serve one for supper and maybe prep the other to freeze. Also have tomatoes and jalapeno from neighbor so chili sometime this week. I sorted the embroidery floss and moved all the floss to a plastic shoe box-size container. That emptied a vintage wicker sewing basket that I will donate along with misc. sewing supplies I can't use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rujerro, good luck with the cleanup. DH actually threw some things away in our storage building, but there’s a lot more to do. I’m getting pretty good at getting rid of things I don’t need.

I’ve been sleeping later too. Got to break that habit and get back to walking. Doing laundry. Got to clean off my kitchen table all the stuff that came off my old refrigerator. Need to go to post office and grocery store today. Stuffed bake potatoes for dinner tonight. Also got to buy chicken feed and wash some charger plates that have my neighbor was going to throw away and had been sitting in my garage for months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just want to jump in and warn people about shrimp. A local man died from eating pre-cooked shrimp, bought in a supermarket, originally from China. Cause of death - cholera. Yep, that third-world disease. Can be transmitted through shrimp if they are not cooked enough, and apparently some of the pre-cooked stuff is NOT cooked enough. I would never buy any seafood from Asia and I have stopped even getting Gulf shrimp due to pollution. I think seafood from cold water regions is still OK.
    I always cook my precooked shrimp. It usually goes in a pan with seasoning and cooked for a bit. I'm never sure if it's fully cooked. We're pretty sure the shrimp trays that are premade is one of the ones that gives him hives.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Partly cloudy day today. Better than rain right now. Going to go out and plant my mums. I need to get it done now. Dgd will come over tonight and help papa take the pool down. I need to mix up some weed killer for my front beds. We put the black fabric down and mulch on top, but the grass is still growing underneath and moving the mulch. Just a little around the edges where it isn't tight. May also get the other pots dumped and cleaned for winter storage. Need to clean out the fridge too. I cut up veggies last week and no one really ate them. They are looking bad, so time to dump them and see what else needs to go. I have a feeling there are some apples too, but I'll try to make something out of the apples.

Trying to track down dh's meds. They were supposed to call in a prescription, but they haven't. I'll have to see what happened. He has the same meds from before they put him on a study drug. It's what he's going back to. He just started taking it again last night. Don't know if it's the same dosage, but better than not being on anything at all. He hasn't been feeling 100% the past few days. I'm pretty sure it's his blood pressure. I don't know if the doctor will talk to me.

Didn't do our usual taco tuesday. Bil wasn't feeling well. What did you expect after eating a large bag of m&m's. Dh and I got taco bell instead. Tonight I'm making a country boil in the instant pot. Dh said that sounds good.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've not had trouble with pre-cooked shrimp but thanks for the heads-up. I try to get a quality brand and always look for the sustainability label on the bag. Because I live in the midwest I always buy frozen, not stuff they have thawed and sitting for who-knows-how-long at the meat counter. Usually I get the uncooked because it is cheaper and only takes a few minutes to cook it.

DH got some bad shrimp years and years ago and gets sick instantly from it now. Last time it happened we had ordered crab dip at a restaurant, and we specified "Crab" and not shrimp, but they must have used the wrong spoon or cross contaminated it because he had one or two bites and had to leave the table.

Jetts, hives can be a symptom of a sulfite allergy, and sulfites are commonly used to preserve shellfish like shrimp and scallops.

It's cool and hazy again today. I can't smell smoke but my eyes start to itch if I go out or we have the windows open.

No big plans for the day. I want to run over to the hardware store and use my birthday coupon. May get some bulbs, they were advertising rembrandt tulips this week. May pick up some grass seed if DH thinks we need it.

Rujerro, good luck with the junk. It has been piling up here a long time, too. Now that DH is home he is getting better about it, since he trips over it every day. He has free time to do stuff but gets annoyed when he can't find his tools or has to move a pile of junk. I've been talking at him for years, now he finally sees the problems.

The plan for dinner is tuna salad, but we have leftover chicken salad so it may be that instead. Some lettuce needs to get eaten and I have a supply of tomato and cucumbers to use.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is the end of summer blahs.. tired waiting for cooler weather to re energize. lol I am not that nice.. would just take the stuff out or hire someone at this stage of my life. too much arguing about it and dh has realized it too..58 next month so long time coming! reno guy did the siding and rest of the window and will do the railing tomorrow and I was who is putting in the kitchen faucet. dh is I can..I am it has been sitting on my dining room table for months..he is ok the reno guy can. he does work long hours so not all his fault but just needs to get done. and young people have more energy. dh drained our pool and there was a few inches of water and then he took it apart..baby raccoons have had too much fun in it and doesn't want holes. still needs putting away.

been puttering and cleaning putting stuff away..making a dent in the reno dust in hidden places. have a box on the chair going for things I am getting rid of decor etc. we got a 3 drawer w top from ikea modular kitchen line and put food in there that was in the old cupboards. spices, baking, etc. I can see the dining room table again. I do have to do things like the top of the china cabinet etc for reno dust but not that energetic. will get done a little a day. there was a big fire sunday night at the pier so lots of toxic smoke from that with the wildfire smoke so allergy pills.. don't know if it is foggy from smoke or.... is muggy and warm but don't want to put a/c on. they are ripping off the top of the pier (was turned into a park years ago) so they can get to the still burning areas underneath..on a river but just the part between top and river. started under it so cig butt maybe on side of road ..who knows. a bush fire was reported first. it did rain some so helped clear the air.

have been puttering and sorting clearing.. see that I need to get more canned tomatoes and spaghetti sauce. plus black beans. thought I had more. made chili and tacos. the marinated pork was a bust but put 3 containers of chili in the freezer. dh and I shopped for ds gifts bday tomorrow plus new halloween decor. plus grocery shop. did get a good coupon book in the local paper.. free uncle bens baked beans in a bag, $4 off dry cat food..the brand my cats eat and $2 off treats. don't get good coupons much anymore so happy!

ds birthday tomorrow so will see what we are doing .. will get a cake. should be doing online accounting now but not in the brain mode so tomorrow and have store work to do too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool that you got a new pantry M! It's good to clear the old one out. I have been seeing bugs, Grr! I'm not sure which makes me feel sicker, bugs in my mushroom powder or the thought of throwing away that expensive bottle.

I was not going to shop this week but went a second time today. Came back from the hardware store and stopped at the butcher shop to get more turkey sausage. None in the case so I asked, because in the past they would make it up for you if they were out. New guy growled at me "If you don't see it we ain't got it." Owner was not in the store or I would have said something. Left without buying anything. Was going to pick up paper towels, but they wanted $8 for 2 rolls. Nope.

Stopped at the grocery to get milk for DH's cereal. He goes through it like a kid. Eyes and throat were burning from smoke at this point. Can barely see downtown and we are nearly 2000 miles from California. Anyway, saw that eggs were .88 so I had to get 2 dozen. Cottage cheese BOGO, whole cauliflower for .99, and a paper towel 2-pack was 2.49. I need to put spaghetti sauce on my list. We have one jar, but I'd rather have 3.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Cool that you got a new pantry M! It's good to clear the old one out. I have been seeing bugs, Grr! I'm not sure which makes me feel sicker, bugs in my mushroom powder or the thought of throwing away that expensive bottle.

I was not going to shop this week but went a second time today. Came back from the hardware store and stopped at the butcher shop to get more turkey sausage. None in the case so I asked, because in the past they would make it up for you if they were out. New guy growled at me "If you don't see it we ain't got it." Owner was not in the store or I would have said something. Left without buying anything. Was going to pick up paper towels, but they wanted $8 for 2 rolls. Nope.

Stopped at the grocery to get milk for DH's cereal. He goes through it like a kid. Eyes and throat were burning from smoke at this point. Can barely see downtown and we are nearly 2000 miles from California. Anyway, saw that eggs were .88 so I had to get 2 dozen. Cottage cheese BOGO, whole cauliflower for .99, and a paper towel 2-pack was 2.49. I need to put spaghetti sauce on my list. We have one jar, but I'd rather have 3.
    thanks ch ..not really a pantry..have one but just a set of undercounter drawers. but since I got rid of the two old cupboards on that side of the kitchen..works as a replacement. plan to put up shelves on that wall. $8 for paper towel! wow! glad you found it somewhere else cheap. I caved and put the a/c on but regret it w the smoke and pier stuff but is nice! think most of us are dealing with the smoke since it has been going on for a while. poor people there.. fire one side of the country too much water on the other..too bad water couldn't switch to the wildfires.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eggs on sale under $1 here too, will get 2 dozen. Hubby and I borrowed drain pipe from a downspout to connect to the pipe I excavated. I need to do a bit more work today since probable rain later. Not planning to re-bury until probably next week, want to check the slope w/ level after finish laying out. Going to spray paint old plastic pots neighbor gave me and pot 2 ferns someone threw away (without pots.) They are huge! Need to find space in the house, they can go outside in the spring, free decor. Leftover pork & spoon-bread casserole for supper. Have a good day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy to see the sun shining today. Cooler temps too. Started to plant my mums yesterday and while I was getting the dirt in the pots, the two little dogs are fighting over a dead squirrel. No wonder they smelled funny when they came in. Got the pooper scooper and tossed it in the neighbors messy corner garden. She can deal with it. We cleared out the fence line for her. It can finish decomposing in that mess. After that I was done. Didn't get the flowers done. Dgd came over and helped empty the pool. Deflated all the floaties. Will finish putting it away this weekend. Bottom needs to be scrubbed first. Dogs are having a blast wading through it.

The instant pot Country Boil was a huge hit. Cooked the shrimp on the side. Dh didn't break out from it. Didn't feel like doing dishes last night, so gotta get that done today. Not sure what we'll eat. I'll see what dh is feeling like. I think I left a small load in the washer. It's been there a few days. I totally forgot about it. It was the pups bedding he puked on. Going to ds' again to see if they can get that car running. If not, the engine has seized and they'll just need to junk it. It was his cousin's car. It broke down at their house and was going to sell it for junk. Ds bought it and was going to fix it up and sell it, but if the engine's gone, it's not worthy fixing. Dil will be happy to get rid of it. She complains all the time about it.

Better get busy and pay bills, get a grocery order ready and list for the other store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got my new Eating Well magazine. I saw 2 recipes in it. I got home from work and cooked out ground beef/onions/garlic...I'll add some tomato paste/beef broth/worcestershire/tumeric/cumin...I got naan and will make jasmine rice too. It's a Pakistani dish that also adds cilantro and yogurt but DH dislikes those, so I'll leave them out.

Labs not as great as I hoped so I'll reschedule my doc appt. My cholesterol numbers were even better than last month, so I'm happy about that. I never want to hear the word "statin" again or how I need one due to age. Phooey

Taking DS2 to the range tomorrow and the bookstore (his fave). Since DH and I are on a HOA board, we have to visit a building and see if someone is living in the basement locker rooms illegally. :: Apparently, this person was a previous tenant and now gets in the building by waiting until someone leaves through a door. He supposedly has a twin bed and a dog in the locker. I hope we figure this out real fast and without any issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cross stitched all day yesterday. The weather was cool. Going to repeat today. DH is working late, so I don’t have to fix dinner. I’ll make up for my laziness tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tired of digging and ready to rest. I spray painted the pots and can plant the salvaged ferns later today. Think I will go try to donate books again (bin was full last time) and maybe JoAnn since I have 60% off & other coupons. Same shopping center. Leftovers for supper. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice day today. Going to do a grocery pickup. Also going to one store, got a bunch of coupons. 4 weeks worth of coupons. I go there for fruit and a few items I can't get a walmart.

The lawn will be aerated this afternoon. Then more grass seed and fertilizer and lots of watering. Pool is almost finished. Just a bit more water to drain and then clean it and put it away for the winter. I will finish planting my flowers and get the mulch down. Need to spray a bit of weed killer too. Also spray the neighbors mess to keep it from coming back. I'm not paying again to get that cleared away. Dgd will come spend the night. We'll probably have frozen pizza for dinner. I never feel like cooking on a grocery day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool and sunny this morning. Still a lot of high level smoky haze in the sky. Not bothering me as much as it was earlier this week.

Got to drive a loaner suv yesterday while my car was getting tires and brakes done. Just reinforced why I don't like them. Can't see the front of the vehicle, it's hard to park, doesn't accelerate or stop well. I don't like driving a vehicle I don't have control of.

Rujerro, glad your cholesterol is better, hope you keep it going. Sad to hear you might have a squatter. Times are rough, for sure.

Dlr, sounds like you got a good amount of work in. Hope you find something good at JA. Pretty much every store I have been in recently looks like it is overdue for a truck delivery or two.

It's Friday and not much going on here for the next several weeks. Normally DH and I would be going out to fall festivals and outdoor events. I guess we'll be resuming our evening walks instead.

Thawing some chicken for dinner, with yellow squash from the garden. Have leftover rice and sushi bowl from yesterday to finish for lunch.

Use it up, Wear it out,