2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 114
Page 114 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1464104111112113114115116117124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2283
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunny and cool today. Rained most of the day yesterday. I don't think we were supposed to get that much rain. We needed it. Got the deck stained on Saturday, just in time for rain. Sleeping is difficult these days for both of us. Saturday night one of the neighbors was having a party. They were out dancing around in the driveway at 4am. It finally got quiet around 430. Not sure if the other neighbors will have a football party tonight. Last week, they had TVs set up in the driveway and lots of adults and kids.

Need to take dgd home. She spent the night. It was raining and we didn't feel like getting out and she made us cry because she asked if we'd still be alive when she was a grandma. I don't think so. Then found out their cat had to go to the ER, so it all worked out. Not sure how the cat is doing. I think it's time to let go, before it gets too expensive. He's old and starting to have a lot of health problems. That's what happened with their last cat. Spent so much money. I know it's hard. I'll probably run to walmart. I need some extra clothes here for dgd. She wanted a "grown up" bowl for her popcorn. I'm going to pick up a couple of new bowls for that. I used a bowl like hers, so she'd think it was a grown up bowl. Walmart has some plastic ones for under a $1. With everyone talking about pumpkin, I think I'll pick up a few cans while I'm out. Now that it was mentioned, I think I'll pick up all my supplies for Thanksgiving this week too. One store had canned veggies on sale. I'll have to find the ad and look again.

Not sure about dinner. I have no motivation today. Sink is full of dishes again. I washed everything yesterday morning and used paper plates for dinner and now the sink is full. Dgd can make a mess.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rained most of yesterday, we needed it. Fall is definitely here. Had some leaves blowing in the wind yesterday. Cool, but sunny, 54F this morning. Our blue sky is back! Set up the mini crock pot with oatmeal for the first time last night, had a hot breakfast waiting.

Yes, BW, feels like Sept just flew by. We will have another 4 weeks of nice weather before it gets colder. Hope your labs come out ok and it's not too much fuss to get tested. My veins are getting old too. When the nurse asks which arm, I tell them they have a choice of the slippery ones or the scarred ones.

Had to grit my teeth yesterday and sift weevils out of my jar of mushroom powder. Too expensive to throw away. Gross, but it's done now.

Got laundry to finish today. Didn't get the curtains cleaned. May also pick more cherry tomatoes to dry. So many... just falling off the vine. Can't eat them all. Have a lot of peppers to dry, too.

Brats with fries and cole slaw for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was very cold and windy yesterday and it rained. DS2 took a blanket from his bed and put it in the cedar chest. I retrieved it and put it on my bed. When I got home from work, I noticed it was back on his bed......

DH has had terrible allergies and wanted to smoke chickens yesterday but wasn't up to it. He will try today. He's been very tired and going to work early.

I was in the mood to make apple pie. I asked DS2 if he wanted apple or pumpkin pie. He said pumpkin (of course). I'll make both today.

I was running out of k-cups and went to ebay. I won 108 of them for $22. DH bought himself jeans from Gap online but they don't make his "style" anymore. He says they're fine. I found his style on ebay and they were new for $25. He'll get them for Christmas...He's been needing new sneakers as he wears them daily, even to work. His toe is ready to see daylight. He refuses to spend more than $50 for leather high tops. I'll tell the kids what to get him for Christmas as he needs some stuff and he is a practical guy.

MIL sent me a Target GC, so I used it to stockpile some things ( see the stockpile thread).

DS1 wants to place a bid on a condo. We went to our loan officer and he told me that it's a special kind of loan that's needed and the bank won't do that. So I told him that we will go to a bank that will do it as DS1 wants to make a bid....Well, our guy then said he would see if he can make a "exception" and get back to me....A bank can do anything they want, really. And if our guy wants a commission, maybe he can make an exception.....We'll see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woke up at 3 am and couldn’t go back to sleep. Got my lavender buds in the mail and going to make lavender lemonade today. It is in the 40s here, but suppose to be in the 70s by the evening. Got to mail a birthday card, get my shingles and flu shot today, pick up a few things at the grocery store, and take some pickles and jam to a friend of mine. Going to make a quiche for dinner and get ready for the debate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ruj sounds like a bunch of good plans. I always recommend a credit union if people are eligible to join. They work for the members, not for their profit margin. I fortunately belong to Navy Fed through my mom since childhood. They are awesome.
    Donation pickup was this morning before 8 am. I reminded hubby at supper last night so he could put things out while I walked the dog but of course I get home and nothing done. So I moved it all to the porch luckily before the guy arrived. Being sorry after the fact just isn't helpful.
    Rain today and maybe thunderstorm. I worked in the yard yesterday and filled 2 trash cans for pickup. Leaves will be coming down soon. Chimneys were cleaned yesterday. He said they looked fine but since he had driven out we had him do the cleaning anyway.
    Having trouble sleeping past 3 of 4 nights and trying various things. I hope everyone is well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cooler here this morning, 61F. Will warm a bit, not much. Need to get another quilt out of storage. I have been cold all year. Have had two quilts on my side of the bed all summer, need a third.

Need to get DH to start a christmas list for me.

Ru, our bank was the same way when we bought our first car, said they don't do auto loans but.... they came up with one anyway.

Was up early enough to make it to the gym this morning. Thinking of grocery shopping later. OTOH, just found out a product I like very much is discontinued, and I could drive across town to get the last 2-3 bottles at a store that had it in stock last week....

Got the new license plates for my car. Nothing wrong with the old ones, state just decided we all needed to pay for a new design. So those have to get put on today or tomorrow. Took them long enough to get here.

Would like to start cleaning up the garden this week. Pull up the dead plants and weeds, put tomato cages away. Extras got left in the garden and were overgrown before I could move them. Time to store tools, too.

Chili and cornbread for dinner. Will use up the last of the buttermilk.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Slept late again today. Dh did too. He went in to work late. It's okay, he can stay late or just take time off. They know his dad isn't doing well and he may need to do something for him. They are really flexible and he has a ton of vacation to use up.

Not much happening here. Last night just watched some shows on netflix and then the football game. Tonight will be the debate. May try to get some plants moved around on the deck. One needs to come inside. The other two can stay out. I want to order some rolling plant stands for those plants so they can be moved easier and get them up off the deck. We may start putting up Christmas decor this week or next. Want to do it before it gets too cold. We always wait til the last minute and then we are freezing out there. I was trying to remember why we didn't do it last year. Mil was in bad shape and passed on Thanksgiving and then dh had a heart attack. He hadn't been feeling well for a while when it happened. Doing much better this year. He does need to eat better and get back to losing weight. Not sure if he'll go back to rehab. I wish he would. Youngest dgd will love the decorations. I thought she might be afraid of my blow-up pumpkin, but she wasn't.

Did a bit of shopping yesterday. Looked for canned pumpkin at walmart and didn't find any. Went to Aldi and they had quite a bit. Picked up 6 cans. Didn't want to be that person. That should get us through the winter. I figure 2 pies and some muffins. Got some new bowls for popcorn night. Remembered I needed some tomato/green chile, but aldi only had a big 28oz can of crushed tomatoes/green chile. That will work. I'm making salsa this weekend. I saw some puzzles that I'd like to get, but passed. I have several here I haven't done yet. I'm trying to get some sewing done first. Need to clean up the room again, so I have room to move around. I use my sewing table for puzzles and I really want to finish a couple of projects first.

Dinner is taco tuesday! Not sure if we're going to go with bil or just get taco bell. Dh saw an ad for taco bell and commented that it looked good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

maybe it is just that time of year! I didn't get much sleep either up before 5am and to bed late so changed my plans for today ..staying home. friend is getting updates to her upstairs new paint etc to update to sell so asked to come over for coffee to get away from the noise etc. her dd has a half day so kids can hang. leftover pizza for lunch if they want it and the lemon loaf they made sunday.

that will nice a new condo for your ds! ch seems a few things are getting disc. I have people asking in the store what happened to stuff ..thought maybe covid restock but no disc.

summer weather back here. worked all day yesterday and first scout meeting in the park. we have been watching our shows and some freebies. dh got takeout pizza since ds friend was here....fills teen boys. was professional day yesterday so no school. they watched a movie assigned from socials.. remember when you actually had to read and research..nope watch Schindlers List to learn about the Holocaust. can't say new thing either been going on for more then a decade.

since our thanksgiving is coming up ..want the sales..usually boxed stuffing is 99 cents but got them for 77 cents so got 4 since kids like it now. plus had a craving for pillsbury crescent rolls.. they were $1 so bonus. plus classico spaghetti sauce was $2 so got the limit of 4. just need more canned tomatoes and black beans to stock up the pantry since I didn't to the sales before ..forgot but they go on sale enough.

cats scratching and flea poop and lots of hair so time for flea meds, have some so no money out. my mp3 player is dying fast though I was planning on getting dh to buy me one for xmas need to buy one now. listen to old time radio shows..covers snores lol some cleaning and puttering. the basics keep the place going. was going to do the big vacuum etc. but no.

the window in the bathroom is in the tub..only place so though it is a lot smaller now..you can still see though it from neighbours had put up the crochet piece from kitchen window. used a small vintage emb. tablecloth in kitchen window. hadn't found a better crochet piece. realized if I still have old kitchen curtain rod I could switch them. since it is to stick on hooks on the tile over the window. I did so done. and now you can see I still need to clean the kitchen door window from reno lol

house is cluttered again but it can wait. forgot about krispy kreme wanted their pumpkin donuts so have to do it tomorrow since last day. burger sale so that is dinner lol dh happy. too hot for oven for an easy meal like frozen lasagna or fish and chips. I can burn anything when tired.

I did order some gifts and dh gave me an idea for one since it is his bday soon too. colds are going around his work and other places..lots of kids sick which is normal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Did the shopping on my way home. Came in under $100 but just barely. Sigh. Used to be able to buy more for ~$65. Got bread and milk, apples on sale, 1lb cold cuts for DH's lunches. 1 pack chicken on sale, 1lb pack beef bbq, beans and corn from local restaurant. 2 cans corn on sale, 2 cans pineapple. 2 boxes cheerios on sale, 3 pks flavored rice on sale, 4 frozen dinners on sale. 2 frozen burritos, 1 wedge of cheese, 2 boxes cornbread mix. I don't think that's extravagant. Would barely get us through the week if I didn't already have a stocked fridge. Didn't even think to look for pumpkin, the can I have is enough to get us through this fall.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Did the shopping on my way home. Came in under $100 but just barely. Sigh. Used to be able to buy more for ~$65. Got bread and milk, apples on sale, 1lb cold cuts for DH's lunches. 1 pack chicken on sale, 1lb pack beef bbq, beans and corn from local restaurant. 2 cans corn on sale, 2 cans pineapple. 2 boxes cheerios on sale, 3 pks flavored rice on sale, 4 frozen dinners on sale. 2 frozen burritos, 1 wedge of cheese, 2 boxes cornbread mix. I don't think that's extravagant. Would barely get us through the week if I didn't already have a stocked fridge. Didn't even think to look for pumpkin, the can I have is enough to get us through this fall.
    yes it is easy to spend $100 and think what did I get. or you shop at one store and get more for your buck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got my flu shot and first round of shingles shot yesterday. Never had a flu shot before. Doing laundry and making a pumpkin cake today. That’s about all I have energy for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got 2 pkgs mark-down meat at the grocery, one is a roaster chicken so that is tonight's supper. Needed to buy choc chips - every package is different amount so comparing is a nightmare. Another store has on sale so will stock up next week. Did get several $1 items - cake mix and frozen vegs. Eggs 99 cents. Freezer is full, need to organize and pull oldest items to use up. Hope everyone has a good day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lazy day at home. Not really, plenty to do like laundry and kitchen always. Want to get out to the garden and pick tomatoes to dry. Time to shut off faucets and bring in hoses. Weather man says big arctic blast coming this weekend, we could have light frost on Saturday. Time to think about bringing some plants in.

GB, hope the flu shot doesn't make you sick. Friend of mine had one a couple weeks ago and was down for days with aches and chills. I've never needed one either, I don't get sick, and avoid sick people but I know they are going to insist when I get my annual exam. I'd rather donate it to someone who doesn't have insurance.

Good find on the chicken, Dlr. I use my phone calculator at the grocery all the time. Sometimes the larger package is not the best deal price-per-pound (or ounce).

Falafel sandwiches for dinner. Have frozen pita, leftover hummus, cucumber and tomatoes from the garden. Will figure out some kind of sauce.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't sleep well again. This time, acid reflux. So, I slept late. Went to ds' house to look through baby clothes. There were a few things I wanted to keep and pass on to the next generation someday. Dh told me I'd better not bring home a bunch of stuff. I think there were only 5 shirts. Most of the stuff I don't think I bought. I think she got rid of most of that stuff. If her mom didn't buy it, then no need to keep. She'd rather dress the girls in thrift store finds from her mom than brand new clothes I got them. Oh well. I don't buy much for them anymore.

Dgd came home with me and we stopped at Mcds for lunch. She was hungry. She'll help me decorate for Halloween. We'll probably read some books and look at pictures of Egypt. She's been obsessed with Cairo, pyramids and sphinx. I told her I'd get some books from the library. Supplementing her homeschooling. Other dgd wanted to come too, but she needs a nap. She'll come over when they pick up sis.

Dinner tonight will be the rest of the sandwich stuff or whatever we find.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like everyone is busy getting ready for fall.....it is beautiful here.....ran out to pick up two pictures I wanted for my new guest room, when I get to start decorating it.....husband told me to go ahead and look for a day bed....I found one on amazon that isn't too bad and it's white which is what I want....I have a twin sleigh bed in there now and it's so heavy looking.....I want something light and breezy feeling.....I have a vision and will see how it comes together.....will have to get rid of the bed, dresser and huge cabinet and a couple of bookcases but that is okay....just need to find a place to store my tablecloths and placemats....I keep giving them away but I still have a ton....and, director called about homeless lunch....she is hoping to start it up in Nov. if we are out of red zone....told her I would come in and decorate if no one was there and I would cook/bake something but would have to drop off as doctor won't approve me to be around others just yet....the way we are going I doubt we will be out of red zone.....

Today I went thru all my shoeboxes and added masks and soap to those that didn't have it.....and if there was an inch of space I added socks.....I am at 77 boxes....still need about five to finish out the clothes and flip flops my sister sent last week....talked to my cousin and she said she was sending stuff but didn't know when....I don't know what she is sending so will have to see if I have to make more boxes or if I can send as filler.....

I took out a precooked pork roast and that is what we are having tonight....will have to give most of it away as it is about ten pounds...much too much for just us. I had ordered a beef roast back in March from the restaurant supply pop up store and they ran out so they gave me two of these roasts in place of it....so I cant' complain.....will have squash and buttered noodles....

My blood pressure has settled down a little....didn't go for my blood work yesterday as I felt bad...so now had to postpone my doctor appt. as I won't have blood work till next week....I still feel "off." I feel better but not 100%. I'm not sure where I would pick up a bug....I did go to the store ten days ago.....told my husband it makes me afraid to go out again.....will talk to doctor when i talk to her in two weeks....
    Hope everyone has a great week.....stay safe....stay healthy.....