2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 123
Page 123 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2373113120121122123124125126133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2103
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hope everyone if feeling good! chilly but turned sunny. roofers working on neighbours roof on our side..not much room so lots of garbage in our side but they are cleaning it up. has old cedar shingles under the roofing ones. she never did that just the way the house came. lucky no leaks. so don't know how they can get all the bits out of the plants etc.

discovered I have more tv channels then I thought w the change in package when I redid it cheaper. ds wanted to see the thing movie so searched. surprise! not that we don't have enough to watch lol between sports and politics in our country and yours not much left on reg channels.

went to library w mom and groceries. trying to figure out how I spent $250 this week between extra on last csa, sunday and today with not that much meat etc. but got more dry cat food $10 there, didn't need the cake or ice cream but dollar deals you know $1 $2 $3 etc. but got ramen, heinz baked beans, lunch bags, more halloween candy, $10 of fruit. creamo, hotdogs, buns, cereal etc. my dishwasher tabs on sale plus more dish soap too. forgot yogurt for dh. discount area had half price allergy pills, dutch cocoa, and kraft extra creamy pb. doesn't expire until march 2021 so don't know why in discount but I am not going to argue. got ds to cut up zucchini, mushrooms, onion for slow cooker for spaghetti sauce. half the ground beef from sunday in there and ds making tacos w bell pepper w rest tonight. froze most of the lentil soup and the rest dd can have for dinner.

csa needs picking up tonight. kids activities. will work tomorrow. library is getting rid of books instead of book sale so got some xmas fiction. woke up to cat howling like the dead for no reason. woke ds and I up ..got up and he ran to the one food bowl that he can see the bottom of..3 others were fine full of food. took sinus pill so early night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. Dog has been brushed and bathed. I washed his collar and scrubbed the tags. Need to launder a big load of towels now. Guessing that would cost $50+ at grooming place, he is a Shetland Sheepdog and a big boy for the breed. Temperatures still in the 60's so better to get done before it turns cold. Gloomy day outside.
    Plan to do some sewing later. Need to schedule work done on dad's house, so phone calls or email. Started polishing silver in preparation for holidays, a few pieces every couple of days is not bad. Hubby's mushroom & bacon risotto was good. Bread is in the machine - chocolate chip & walnut this time. I hope everyone is well.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Chilly and grey with scattered rain today. Good day to stay in under a blanket with a book. Nothing needs urgent doing today, I may putter around with hobbies, or bake cookies. Have tomatoes and peppers to dry, and it is getting to be time to harvest the basil and make pesto. Want to dry more oregano, if there's any left. Kept meaning to do that this summer. Have not had a freeze yet, but they say snow for Friday. Will give DH a choice for dinner, chicken with broccoli or fish and asparagus.

M, I know what you mean about grocery prices. Seems like it is $100 every week instead of the ~$70 I was spending. Not buying meat every week, not many really great sales like before. I get what deals I can and keep an eye out for manager specials and the markdown bin, but still costing more. Newspaper is worthless when it comes to coupons now.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's raining. Heard some thunder. Dogs won't go out. Had one pee on the bed yesterday. So sprayed bleach on the area and put a fan on it to dry. Washed sheets and blankets. That wasn't part of the plan. Dgd is coming over today. First thing dil want's to know what time. How about after you do school. Dil got a new computer, desk, chair, etc. That's all she's been thinking about. Poor dgd loves doing school and is doing really well. She comes over here and we read books together. I'm hoping my library holds are ready today, so we have some new books to read. We'll be making pinatas today and maybe our saran wrap ball. Going to stop and pick up a few more things for the ball. Still have laundry to finish up.

Dinner tonight will be breakfast. Dh has been asking for it. Dgd loves pancakes and she's been asking for bacon. We won't tell her that it comes from pigs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The day started out with rain but has cleared up and now is sunny and somewhat mild out. I picked up another foster dog yesterday, I will only be watching her for a week and a half but it is challenging keeping her apart from my dogs and original foster dog. Because I'm trying to get in the groove of shuffling dogs around, I didn't get my workout in this morning, probably won't happen tomorrow or Friday either since I'm working both days. Hopefully walking around the yard with foster #2 will at least be some exercise. I prepped dinner this morning and did some laundry. Still have to clean my bathroom.........procrastinating. Dinner will be spinach and artichoke mac and cheese, salad and butternut squash.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. Going to parents' house to digitally photograph all the furniture. I contacted an auction company in that area and he responded right away. However he is busy next couple of weeks, so I'm getting in the queue. Before end of the year would be good, nobody wants to buy old furniture in January. Also yard work there if time afterward. Told hubby to make us frozen pizza for supper with salad. At least the weather is still holding pleasant.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like everyone is getting rain and cold weather. Not here. The temps will be in the 80s today, but several cold fronts are coming in through the weekend. We will be in the 60s, which is cool for us.

Making DH a cranberry pecan pie and a pasta dish for dinner. Probably will sew today. Not much else going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Up early today waiting for my meds to be delivered....I asked for AM delivery....last time it was 3 PM before they got here even tho they said it would be morning delivery.......let's see how today goes....I can't do anything while waiting as I am deaf in one ear so afraid if I get busy doing something I won't hear the doorbell. Meds have to be refrigerated and I have to sign for them....

Have no other plans except get the chicken and pork chops in the freezer.........watching old Dr. Phil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sunny and breezy this morning, supposed to warm up into the 80's before thunderstorms tonight, Probably our last warm day of the year. Freeze and snow chances this weekend. Told DH I want to take a walk this afternoon and enjoy it.

Dried a tray of tomatoes yesterday and half a tray of oregano. Going to pick more oregano, and the catnip, too. Need to find my extra bottle of olive oil and make pesto before the basil freezes, or gets whipped around by the wind. Also have a recipe for a sauce with cilantro and jalapenos to try.

Plugged the electric blanket in yesterday, put a heavier quilt on the bed. My side sort-of works, gets a little warm, but DHs (which was fully working this spring) now blinks an error. He is going to order a new one. This one is barely 10 years old. My previous blanket lasted over 20 years.

DH doesn't want another stir-fry so we are having sandwiches for dinner, got some sliced turkey that needs to be eaten. Can have broccoli or leftovers on the side, if we're hungry enough.

Got butter out for baking, thinking of trying pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in the mini muffin pan.

BW, hope you don't have to waste all day waiting for delivery. I hate that, too. They say it will arrive between 9am-2pm, and then 2pm rolls around and the delivery window moves to 7pm and meanwhile the truck has gone past my house twice.

Best of luck with the auction, Dlr. Hope you get good offers for the furniture.

Everyone have a good day, and stay safe out there!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunny and warm here today.

Been busy stocking my shelves while I can. Still getting some things from the garden - fall planting of peas, lima beans, cayenne peppers, tomatoes are starting to ripen (it gets so hot that it kills the pollen and almost kills the plants. I let the plants in the ground and can get some tomatoes in the fall), and have more purple sweet potatoes to dig. A friend let me dig her garlic - all I wanted. The patch was started by her MIL over 30 years ago and was let go, It would take 2 of us a week to dig up half the garlic. Amazing!!

We sold 2 baby goats for $75 each. I told hubby he needs to charge $100-125 each because we take them from mamma at 3 days and bottle feed them for a week prior to selling. After a week of feeding them they are very tame and will follow you anywhere. I always hate to see them go because they are so damned cute.

Thanks to hurricane Delta we went 3 days without power and luckily the freezers didn't thaw, at all. Not frugal but we ordered a small solar generator and it arrived over the weekend. It takes 9 hours to charge so I'm going to buy a second panel to cut the charge time in half. Once a month we are going to do a Power Outage weekend. Where we live the power goes our frequently, we need to know what our holes are and how the generator will hold up. The nice thing is that the generator makes no noise and can be charged while we are using it. It can also be charged by wind, water wheel, hand crank, and bicycle. I need to figure out what to buy so I can connect it to my exercise bike. The generator is 110 so it won't run the well but to get around that we are going to buy a transfer pump and put a hose down the well for water. We are also looking into trashcans, or something like that, to catch/store rain water for toilet flushing, hygiene, washing dishes and to water our animals.

I still need to buy my fruit trees....not sure that is going to happen this fall.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunny, warm and windy today. Dh should have taken a day off to get some things done around here. Days are getting shorter, so not much light after work. We'll get a little something done tonight. Hopefully Saturday will be decent and we can get more done. Just happy to see the sun today. Two of the dogs are just laying out in the sun.

Got the pinata made. Hopefully it will dry. Thought about putting it outside, but too windy. It's getting there. Dgd didn't quite understand to wipe the glue off. I put a layer of dry strips on and a little glue on the edges. Soaked right up. It was messy. She said she had to go to the "principal's" office yesterday. They are homeschooling, so daddy is the principal. Overall, she's doing well. Figured out how old I would be when she turns 10, all by herself.

Had breakfast for dinner last night. Leftover bacon. Not quite enough, so I'm going to cook the other package for BLTs tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. I am tired today, spent yesterday dragging furniture around and taking photos. I sent the auctioneer access to the photos, hope to hear that he is interested and how to proceed. He said he is busy for a few weeks. That is OK, just want to know we have a plan. Have some other paperwork to complete to settle dad's affairs. Things are moving at least. A lot of people have been on vacation.
    My prescription refill is not covered by the insurance, they say I have to try a cheaper (cholesterol) drug first. Well I will be under Medicare in 90 days so will just pay full price on this refill and then goodbye to that insurance. Annoying but easiest thing to do at the moment.
    Hubby was not impressed w/ the $4 frozen pizza last night. I thought it was fine. I think I am in the mood for burgers tonight. Have a good day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dlrcpa—I have been on Medicare since I was 60 due to my stroke. When you choose your supplement, check to see if they have a rewards program. I just found out that Humana had one since 2018 and each year I got money added for healthy living and checkups. I missed out on two years, but I called them and I already had $140 credit to be put on a gift card. I chose Amazon and got my cards this week. I still have a mammogram and bone density in December and will cash in on that. My insurance will change in January to United. They give you $40 each quarter to purchase health items from a catalog and I think they have a rewards program too. Most insurance supplements do that now. They don’t tell you that you have earned anything, so if you don’t claim it, you lose it. I am a retired teacher, so my insurance is through Teacher Retirement.

Raining here. Going to sew and iron today. That’s about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cold and wet, must have rained in the night. Have no plans to go out any further than the back porch.

Oregano and tomatoes finished drying so that can be stored. Time to do the basil pesto and freeze it. Will dry some catnip too. Might get to those cookies I've been thinking of all week.

Leftover frozen squash soup for dinner, unless DH wants the chicken stir-fry I had planned earlier.

Dlr, we have good luck with Aldi's fresh pizzas. They can be frozen or a week or two. So much better than the frozen ones.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes frozen pizzas are hit or miss. a favourite here is Dr Otker brands. was sunny yesterday but today cold and wet. 39f .snow and colder higher up. we are more sea level. suppose to freeze this weekend. worked yesterday..planned too wed but wanted to make sure roofers cleaned up well and they did..made dh happy all the ferns etc gone for the year. more I can do but...

been a up and down week w kids and dh work...plus my sinuses w up and down weather. .all kids off school today so friend coming over w her dd to hang out. watch latest dolly movie on netflix. we may go to fabricland for fabric for costumes. dd is making one. not that she is going out just getting her creative urges out. we dress up at halloween to hand out candy. dug out the sale candy from last year..rockets (you guys call it smarties) maynards etc. keep downstairs in cold closet still fresh.

froze a bunch of slow cooker spaghetti sauce. still taco and pasta leftovers from earlier in the week. dh worked really late so didn't eat , ds ate something at 711 that didn't agreed w him. so no cooking today. house a mess halloween stuff needs putting out.. ship a package. same old lol will vacuum tomorrow cus cousin coming over for sleepover and she has cat allergies. run the electric carpet sweeper everyday but needs a deeper one. need milk but will see. if kids really want it they can go get it.

voting day here tomorrow so at least after no more politics get both here and yours. watch my dvds and streaming sites. though discovered that we have more channels we didn't know about from the cable redo. looked up the Thing for ds and discovered that..ds wanted to see it. We watch lots of halloween shows this time of year. all the classics. fun and cheap. not suppose to rain this weekend so will put up halloween stuff outside too. I want the basement rearranged..not that dh knows that yet lol take couch and tv out of the old playroom area and switch it w the table etc to make it a craft room more. plus we need to declutter that room too.